A Decent Ad Blocker

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

chiisai_hana

-nipah!
Retired
So I'm getting tired of popups/unders appearing on various sites. I have the generic IE blocker but it doesn't do much
dry.gif
What's a good free one to install? The biggest problem I seem to have is with those ones that popup and try to install things on your computer (the one's that say "Window's Installer").

Suggestions?

I use Firefox because IE use to be a pain with that problem for me. Not saying it blocks most pop-ups, but works better than IE. I don't use any pop-up blockers, sorry if I couldn't be of any use.

if you're still using IE, i'd suggest you download the Yahoo! toolbar. It's free, got virus protection (a bit) and a pop-up blocker. plus, it's easy to use.

QUOTE (hamasusuke @ May 6 2006, 07:55 PM) i'd suggest you download the Yahoo! toolbar.
Yahoo toolbar is also know to collect information about its users. In other words, it is a spyware.

Firefox has an integrated pop-up blocker that is fairly good. There is also an extension that can be installed from the firefox sites (add-block if my memory is correct) that will give you a lot more control over the blocking process.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ May 6 2006, 11:20 PM) While Firefox block the "Windows Installer" boxes that continally popup on me?
What windows installer dialog box? Windows installer is a service running on all windows machine since windows 98. It is to install new software. It should not be triggered by a website (unless that website is trying to install something on your machine, and that is definatly not good!)

If you are refering to an add that says something like "windows installer" I never saw that one. So either firefox blocks it or it was never displayerd on my machine!

Anyway, can you post a screen shot of that window? We can help to identify it and find the real source for it.

I think it's trying to install something on my computer. It automatically pops up with a lot of sites that are heavy on ads. I'll go see if I can get one for a screenshot.

That didn't take long
dry.gif
It's taking longer to upload the images!

Whether it's harmless or not, I don't know, but it only shows up when I get a ton of popups.

I am sure its not the browser problem but I thought the pic is funny.
Internet Explorer: I think Internet Explorer is bad for you!!!
Mozilla Firefox:Please to meet you, My name is Mozilla Firefox.

That is not a browser problem. You simply have one of office 2000 component installed on your machine. After the initial installation Office will require post installation installation (yes I know, it sounds weird! Tell that to microsoft!!)

Just put your office CD in the machine and click ok. I would also advise on upgrading your office to the latest service pack (SP3 if my memory is correct). It is free and can be done on Microsoft office update sites ( http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/m...g.aspx?lc=en-us )

There are some important security updates in those service packs

ive never had a problem with ads since i installed 'no script' and 'adblock' and its upgrade from the mozilla firefox plugin site. I think these to work as an awesome pair.

Yep. I just use Firefox and Adblock to get around ads. If there's a site that I don't want to see ads on, then I just block all of the script files and that pretty much kills all the advertisements + popups on the site.

I use Symantec Client Security's built in Ad Blocker. Its a professional program but i get it for free being in teh army and all. I never have a peroblem with it, it allows popups for my webamail and such, but kills anything bad. All automatically. I highly reccomend it. I can link you to it, but you will ahve to email me for it, im not suppossed to be handing it out...

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back