Anime Recommendation

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Nov 04 2012, 10:58 PM) Well you could aways try out Robitics;Notes as well since it seems to be playing off of Stein;Gate as well. Granted it's not in direct continuity of the other but I think there maybe references from Stiens;Gate for it.
tongue.gif

There already have been many. In fact, the first few seconds of the show referenced it. There have also been many references to Chaos;Head as well as Gundam.

It's set 10 years after Chaos;Head and 9 years after Steins;Gate. I believe Nae makes an appearance in the series later on but as a minor character.

Okey Cokey.

I'm looking for some anime, basically any anime that has aired in the last 5 years. Don't really care too much of the genre, yuri, yaoi, slice of life, romance, don't really care. So long as it's good and interesting.

Go!

I'm looking for a detective-like anime series that's aired in the past 2 years. I have already seen Gosick btw.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Oct 16 2013, 05:04 PM) I'm looking for a detective-like anime series that's aired in the past 2 years. I have already seen Gosick btw.
Hmm, Danganronpa might fit your criteria. The detective discussion portions felt sort of like that show with Beatrice and Battler, forgot the name. Danganronpa is staged as a survival game but ends up being a murder mystery. If you can make it past the obnoxious bear in ep 1 it grows on you.

Also, Psycho-pass, though that was closer to a GITS-feel than a Conan feel.

Thanks wedora for the suggestion.

I wanted to ask what were the top 20 animes of the last 2 seasons? No need to be in order, just tell me what should be part of the top 20. I recently watched Log Horizon and I've been wanting to watch something good that's fairly recent.

I don't have 20, but there have been some pretty good shows recently.

Noragami and Kill la Kill were both personal favorites and I loved every minute of them.

Other notable shows were:

Space Dandy
Nisekoi (still ongoing)
Engaged to the Unidentified
Silver Spoon 2
Tokyo Ravens (though I was disappointed in the kind of non-ending it had)

Also what is definitely worth watching is Wizard Barristers episode 11. I wouldn't really recommend the show as a whole cause it was really only kinda meh, but episode 11 is hilarious to watch only on the basis of how incredibly cheap it is. They had 0 money and/or time to make this so entire scenes go by that are just stills with not even mouth movement as dialogue is spoken.

I have read Gin no Saji in the past but never got a chance to watch the anime, I might start after watching Nisekoi, I'm really interested about this one and I have the first 2 episodes dl'ed.

Is the anime "D-Frag!" any good?

I would also like to know what other people think are the best 20 series of the last 2 seasons.

D-Frag! was alright. It wasn't anything amazing but it was pretty funny at times. It does have a tendency to think characters screaming their lines is funny (which it's not), but it has its moments.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Apr 08 2014, 08:00 PM) D-Frag! was alright. It wasn't anything amazing but it was pretty funny at times. It does have a tendency to think characters screaming their lines is funny (which it's not), but it has its moments.
Well the line screaming was pretty much the main guy being the striaght man over the jokes the ladies were doing through most of the series. If you could get past that part and say, meh someone had to say it it's a really god series after all.
tongue.gif

Pretty much one of the characters tends to go chibi mode every once in a while, if you like that sort of thing.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 08 2014, 04:49 PM)I would also like to know what other people think are the best 20 series of the last 2 seasons.
QUOTE (Barbobot @ Apr 08 2014, 03:00 PM)I don't have 20, but there have been some pretty good shows recently.I agree with Barbo but i have the feeling there arent as many gems since 2011, lately i tend to see series with interesting premise or trilling cliffhangers weekly:

1. Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 (finale subbed in early Fall)*
2. Monogatari Series: Second Season
3. Hajime no Ippo: Rising
4. Log Horizon
5. Ghost in the Shell: Arise (ongoing)*
6. Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta
7. Golden Time
8. Kill la Kill
9. Kara no Kyokai (finale subbed in mid Winter)*
10. Coppelion
11. Outbreak Company
12. Nobunaga the Fool
13. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica *movie series (finale subbed in late Winter)
14. Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
15. Space Dandy
16. Space Brothers
17. Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku o Ketsui Shimashita
18. Samurai Flamenco
19. Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai
20. Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga.

I just finished watching Tokyo Ravens, started last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I can see why some might be disappointed by it's ending but it makes sense that happened because it covered a lot of the light novel material and now I have to take in the fact that I probably won't see a 2nd season for it because judging from the titles of the light novels, the anime used up 9 volumes of the light novel, which took the author 3 years to publish them.

I really want a second season but because of the light novel being on-going and that the anime has adapted 9 of the 11 volumes (the 11th volume is being released in 8 days time), a second season would happen only after 2 or 3 years.

I loved the series from start to finish, I sort of spoiled myself early on by finding that who the real Yakou reincarnation was.

I rate Tokyo Ravens an awesome 9/10.

@Necro, I've only seen Rising, Ippo, Nobunaga the Fool and a 1/3 of Space Brothers (I plan to go back to it at some point).

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Apr 08 2014, 09:00 PM) Noragami and Kill la Kill were both personal favorites and I loved every minute of them.

Space Dandy
Nisekoi (still ongoing)
Silver Spoon 2

Also what is definitely worth watching is Wizard Barristers episode 11.
I'm going through this list Barbo, so far I've seen Kill La Kill, Nisekoi and Tokyo Ravens. I just started watching Noragami and I'm loving it, I really do appreciate the voice actor, Hiroshi Kamiya. He brings this sort of freshness and eccentricity to the characters he voices, well most of the time like as Araragi but he can also voice someone almost completely on the opposite side of the spectrum like Natsume.

After that I'm going to watch Silver Spoon series and then Space Dandy, however, I'm a little hesitant about watching "Engaged to the Unidentified", I read the short synopsis at MAL and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. After that I'll watch the Wizard Barristers show.

So thanks again Barbo for the recommendations.
cool.gif

No reason to watch all of Wizard Barristers, cause it's really only a below average-mediocre show. Just part of ep 11 for how cheaply it was made.

Engaged to the Unidentified was a pretty big surprise that I didn't expect to like as much as I did. It's pretty much just a slice-of-life comedy with a little bit of romance, but the characters are just very fun to watch.

I just finished Noragami in one sitting, it's like 3:30am here...I guess I can only sleep for about 4 hours. It was excellent and I was sort of surprised that it was done by BONES too.

Both the OP and ED as well as the OST for Noragami are awesome, the animation was top-notch and the story was great as well as the characters being very likeable in general apart from when Yukine was acting like a brat, I lol'ed when he admitted about trying to feel Hiyori up and I'm surprised she didn't really say anything about it afterwards.

This can easily get a 2nd season with the first season only animating the first 12 chapters apparently, I'm so glad the original source is a manga that I can read as opposed to light novels that don't necessarily get translated as much as manga.

My rating for Noragami is a 9/10.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Apr 08 2014, 09:00 PM) Noragami and Kill la Kill were both personal favorites and I loved every minute of them.

Space Dandy
Nisekoi (still ongoing)
Silver Spoon 2
I've watched all of your recommendations except for Space Dandy, which I heard is very good but I'm sort of looking to watch more of a plot-based anime rather than an eccentric comedy at this point in time.

Then go watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199. Hugely entertaining sci-fi epic. If it wasn't for the awkward way they are releasing the show on blu-ray (awkward by today's standards of boxsets at least) I would have bought it a while ago.

You are the 3rd person to recommend me that, I've always been interested but I keep thinking that it would be better for me to watch everything related to the series that was released before it. I will start watching that.
biggrin.gif

Barbo, have you read any of the following mangas:-

Prison School, Girls in the Wild's, Koe no Katachi, Gin no Saji and Orange.

I'm up to date with everything including the RAWs except for GinW. If you have read any of them, wanna chat about it at MAL?

Well seeing as this is for recommendations.

Here is my list of top 10 animes that I recommend:
(Does Not Include , Currently Airing)

1.Sunday Without God (Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyobi) - Fantasy/Supernatural/17+(Finished)
2.Log Horizon - Action/Adventure/Comedy/Fantasy/13+(Ongoing)
3.Engaged to the Unidentified - Comedy/Romantic/Supernatural/13+(Open)
4.Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - Comedy/Drama/Fantasy/Mystery/Romance/Supernatural/17+(Finished)
5.The Devil Is a Part-Timer! - Adventure/Action/Comedy/Drama/Fantasy/13+(Open)
6.Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei - Absurdist/Black Comedy/Satire/17+(Open)
7.D-Frag - Comedy/13+(Open)
8.Toradora - Comedy/Drama/Romantic/13+(Finished)
9.Sankarea - Romantic Comedy/Horror/Supernatural/16+(Open)
10.Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth - Historical/Slice of Life/3+(Open)

Aside from the 1 confirmed Ongoing or the finished of which I know 100% sure they have finished, the rest is marked with Open as I am not sure,
if there is still a chance for it to get a second season.
Keep in mind that there are series that get, even after 6 years another season.

Well,if u are looking for an anime u can watch........
1.hyouka
2.kill la kill
3.Steins gate
4.Kuroko no Basket
5.Angel beats
6.Code geass
7.Clannad
8.Anohana
9.Guilty Crown
10.Baccano
............................and so on
smile.gif

- merged from general anime discussion:

Hey guys, i need some interesting/tragedy/romance/action?
Can anyone recommend me which series to watch..........

Necronote: please post and ask your suggestions here ;p thanx and welcome!
wink.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Oct 16 2013, 03:04 PM)I'm looking for a detective-like anime series that's aired in the past 2 years. I have already seen Gosick btw.
[FS][MAL]
Un-Go comes to mind. There is a 48 minute prequel OVA (or would that be a movie?) which gives some backstory. I quite liked it.

Some say the "crimes" aren't that special, which may be true, as I don't remember the crimes… but I recall enjoying the interaction between the characters. After watching the series and the movie I felt satisfied. Maybe it wasn't a life-changing meal, but nothing tasted bad, and I'd eat it again.

One reviewer said, "Inga feels out of place"... Which is the vibe I got, however, I enjoyed the sensation. Your mileage may vary. Viewer beware, bring your own discretion, reviewer not liable, warranty not valid, etc…

QUOTE (Animekyoto @ Jun 13 2014, 10:05 AM)Hey guys, i need some interesting/tragedy/romance/action?
Can anyone recommend me which series to watch..........

Romance/Action/Tragedy combo:
Zetsuen no Tempest
- The two main characters' actions are motivated by the death of someone they love.

Gunslinger Girl
- I'm still getting my feelings in a row.

Romance & Action & Shoujo Ai & Drama & a bit of Tragedy:
Simoun
- I'm not sure if there is anything out there quite like this. Need moar nao plox.

Romance:

Kimi ni Todoke
- So sweet it'll give you diabetes. I used this show as a gateway drug to get my parents hooked on Anime. Now my dad is an SnK fanatic.

Nodame Catabile
- Watch every season, and the live-action TV show. Hilarious, sweet, irritating, hilarious, fulfilling.

His and Her Circumstances
- Incomplete and sometimes bizarre. Worth every second.

Wolf and Spice
- Delicious! I wish there were more than two seasons!

Koi Kaze (Love Wind)
- Don't read any reviews or a synopsis. Both contain flippin' spoilers. It's the only way to get yourself into the character's headspace. Thankfully, the person who recommend it to me had the wisdom to point me away from both. "Just watch it". Consider reading the manga when you've finished.

Itazura na Kiss
- Classic Shoujo, anybody?

Sora no Manimani
- I've watched this twice. Planning a third run.
wub.gif

Jellyfish Princess
- What? You're tired of the same Shoujo romance plot in a thousand different skins? Then watch this lovely Josei.

Candy☆Boy Ex1
- Tired of romance that plays with your negative emotions? Are questions like Will they get together, or won't they? keeping you up all night? Well no more! Watch the four Candy☆Boy OVA's, then read the manga! (Shoujo Ai)

Whispered Words
- One-side romance, tugged at my heartstrings.

5 Centimeters per Second
- You're not allowed to join the Anime romance club without having seen this movie. Hop to it, son!

Action:

Xam'd: lost memories
- Character driven. Not sure if there is anything else quite like it.

Darker than black series
- Watch in the following order:
1. Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha
2. Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha Special
3. Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden
4. Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini

Psycho-Pass
- PS was a lot of fun! Plenty of hear-pounding moments and decent amount of nuance to certain things.

Tragedy:
Now and Then, Here and There
- I dropped this series. More tragedy than I could handle.

Shigofumi

-----

If you've already seen everything listed above, or have more specific requirements, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back