Anti-Depressants

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

What are your opinions about Anti-depressant drugs?

• It is a drug, therefore using it is wrong.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is helpful.

• There are pros and cons to this subject.

• Total voters
QUOTE I'll be honest. I HATE Anti depressants and Anti psychotics. I was on them as a teenager and they did nothing but made me feel even worse than I already was feeling.

I already felt sad, but Prozac made me 100 time more sad. Made me feel like dieing even more. Made my thoughts ever more dark. I embraced death and all things morbid and miserable even more when I was on it.

Risperidone, Prozac, Zyprexa, seroquel, wellbutrin...
I was on all of those (most of them AT THE SAME TIME) and I F***ing hate every single one of them. I also have no respect or remorse for sh** doctors that put kids on drugs while competely ignoring the fact that THERE ARE BETTER SAFER WAYS OF HELPING THEM (Its all so they can make $$$$$. YOU don't matter.)
Each drug had its own onslaught of bizzar and miserable side effects and they each made me feel a 100 or more times worse then I already did (I won't go into detail..do your own research if you wanna know). I still wonder if my brain and body aren't permenantly damaged from those drugs to this day as I can never seem to feel quite normal or function like everybody else, even after I have been completely off of all of them for years.

My advice to all:
Don't completely trust doctors or psychiatrists (After my experience I trust them very little).
Try nature remedies. Study nutrition. Eat healthy. Get exersise. Make friends if you can. Use those drugs as a last resort if you use them at all. Drugs wether legal or illigal are a bad route IMHO.

Be healthy.

*spits on big pharmaceutical companies*

Great ascertainment!!!

The truth is that you can't cure a mental illness with material drugs. In such a case there are altertatives. I heard from a doctor that the sardines are a good medicine for the depression. Eat a kilo of sardines... Do you thing that depression (and I am asking all of you) would go? No. Mental ilnesses are confronted with self-knowledge and NO OTHER WAY. The drugs just make you to be in an stand-by situation, in many cases being a vegetable, and nothing more...
mad.gif

As far as concern the doctors, yes, the majority of them are ONE with the drug companies and I am telling that by experience...
ph34r.gif

I think drugs, at best, are only a short term solution. If some1s life is truly going bad but they cope until a major event sends them suicidal then adp's cud help them get through this espeacily hard time. But in the end its not magic, it wont make your life better. Different ADP's hav diff fx on diff people. Sum dont wrk at all, sum wrk too well. But in the end
Psychologists (the ones who actually research ADP's) recomend that no 1 shud take them for over a year. after that seek other methods. GP's and psychiatrists will prescribe them for much longer than a year because it is all about money to them. They are just drug dealers gettin you hooked. Not all doctors though.sum r responsable and will try to help you.
I think the key to happiness is having true loved ones.
"A man can have faith that moves mountains,but without love. He is nothing"

QUOTE (GrimmHelltrap @ Jul 17 2007, 05:38 PM)Different ADP's hav diff fx on diff people. Sum dont wrk at all, sum wrk too well.

One thing, I dont understand how an anti-depressant can work too well. That one is kinda beyond me.

Also, being someone with depression and ADD who is currently taking meds, I totally am all for it. Depression, for me, doesnt just go away when Im off meds. When I am off meds, I become a vegetable. The drugs are the only thing that keep me going.

Ive tried different things, but in the end, I like the drugs, and the drugs like me.

Also,

QUOTE (GrimmHelltrap @ Jul 17 2007, 05:38 PM)
"A man can have faith that moves mountains,but without love. He is nothing"

I think, therefore I am, so... even though I am without love, I cannot be nothing.
blink.gif
tongue.gif

I don't think the poll question really has enough bullets to it. The dangers of these drugs may outweigh the benefits, in that there is evidence that they actually have a negative effect on a lot of people that take them.

The other issue is that many people take them in combination with other drugs, and no matter what the drug companies say, they can be addictive and very danderous.

QUOTE (AncientMariner @ Jul 14 2007, 04:46 PM) I heard from a doctor that the sardines are a good medicine for the depression. Eat a kilo of sardines... Do you thing that depression (and I am asking all of you) would go? No. Mental ilnesses are confronted with self-knowledge and NO OTHER WAY. The drugs just make you to be in an stand-by situation, in many cases being a vegetable, and nothing more...
mad.gif

This is very interesting. I have read an article about our diet and depression. It stated that the reason for the rising number of depressed individuals in america is because of what they eat a lot of - junk food - filled with omega 6 fatty acids as opposed to omega 3 fatty acids. I don't really remember the details of the article, but the jist of it was that a study found that depressed rats had a higher ratio of omega 6 fatty acids in their brain, and that intake of omega 3 fatty acids shifts the balance between the two. The problem is that people aren't consuming enough omega 3... I can't really explain all the scientific stuff involved, but here are some facts:

QUOTE -Infant monkeys fed baby formula supplemented with omega-3 are stronger and more alert even at less than a week than monkeys given standard baby formula.
-Depression is 60 times higher in New Zealand, where the average consumption of seafood is 40 pounds a year compared to Japan, where a person consumes nearly 150 pounds of seafood a year.
-Postpartum depression is 50 times more common in countries with low levels of seafood consumption. During pregnancy, a woman’s body becomes depleted of fatty acids, which are transferred to the fetus.

source: http://www.mcmanweb.com/article-15.htm

I do think that if you're suffering from depression, and you want treatment that's healthy, taking fish oil capsules with omega 3 fatty acids seems to be a good option. I should try it myself. Also eating healthy and excersising... I hear it works. I just have to find the motivation to try it myself.

As for anti-depressents, being a person who takes it myself, I can't say I have anything against people who do rely on it. I've been there, and I've tried quite a few. I know all the side effects and I've gone through some rough times because of it... but I do think it helps. I am addicted to it, and it's become even harder now to stop taking them, but because I am determined to live a healthy life, I am trying to battle my depression by strengthening my mind...it just takes a lot of time. Also, toxinman I understand you've taken some anti-depressants, but you didn't -feel- anything. What did you expect to feel? These aren't pain killers... they are supposed to regulate your mood... if anything, I find that I feel indifferent because of these pills more than anything else.

hmm.. looks like this topic has been abandoned for a while...
just expected, majority would vote: there're pros & cons using anti-depression. as for my view, i see that this anti-depressant drug really have its pros and cons. only the one who really in pinch would need it and found it as a best solution. but take every- or any- thing in moderation. im sure any thing would give bad effect if taken too much.
and i agree with someone mentioned before that drug is for temporary. usually drug is used to relieve the symptom, not for cure.. our body would cure / recover it by itself (depends). eat something nutritious, rest well.

QUOTE (AncientMariner @ Jul 14 2007, 04:46 PM) .......The truth is that you can't cure a mental illness with material drugs. In such a case there are altertatives. I heard from a doctor that the sardines are a good medicine for the depression. Eat a kilo of sardines... Do you thing that depression (and I am asking all of you) would go? No. Mental ilnesses are confronted with self-knowledge and NO OTHER WAY. The drugs just make you to be in an stand-by situation, in many cases being a vegetable, and nothing more.....
wowo, dont ever follow that doctor..XDD
ohmy.gif
.. sardine should be take in moderation.. eating sardine has proven to increase uric acid level in the body which could make the person more prone to suffers gout.
ph34r.gif

anyway, alternative medicine is gradually become much more popular. but alternative med. such as using herb sometimes lack of scientific evidence. i hope those scientist would done studies to improve this in the future.. since phytochemical seem more stable than synthetic chemical and it posses incredible amount of unknown potential. who knows, maybe the cure for HIV might be can be derived from phytochemical compound?

any way stay healthy is the best solution.. as i mentioned before, eat something nutritious, rest well... manage sleep..
prevention is much more better than cure
wink.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

P/s: i've never take anti-depressant drug before... usually i handled my depression by playing games. but sometime it may get worse when i lose... LOL..
ph34r.gif
XDD.
My last solution would probably SLEEEEP (for sure!)

QUOTE This is very interesting. I have read an article about our diet and depression. It stated that the reason for the rising number of depressed individuals in america is because of what they eat a lot of - junk food - filled with omega 6 fatty acids as opposed to omega 3 fatty acids. I don't really remember the details of the article, but the jist of it was that a study found that depressed rats had a higher ratio of omega 6 fatty acids in their brain, and that intake of omega 3 fatty acids shifts the balance between the two. The problem is that people aren't consuming enough omega 3...

Right. Bad food is just another factor, but it is of minor importance. The major comes from the mental field. The mood you have, the confrontation of everyday life's problems, etc. But, a good quality food can make you feel your body lighter.

By the way, a doctor, friend of mine, had started in medicine school as psychiatrist, but in the first year he quit and got in another speciality, from which he took his diploma. he told me that he quit psychiatry because the only that you do as a shrink is to give medicines to ALL the people who come to visit you, just for restraint for their condition. He also told me that if "YOU haven't decided to get rid of what depresses you PERSONALLY, then do not expect anything from psy doctors. They only listening of your problem FROM A DISTANCE point of view and suggesting some solutions leaving the choice to you. YOU can do the same thing with self-analysis. YOU don't need them. They only get lighten your pocket".

QUOTE wowo, dont ever follow that doctor..XDD ohmy.gif .. sardine should be take in moderation.. eating sardine has proven to increase uric acid level in the body which could make the person more prone to suffers gout. ph34r.gif

I don't. But consider that he appeared in a morning TV show (many people see that show)...
blink.gif
I think that he must had some kind of payola with a sardine-selling company...
tongue.gif
Anyway my information says that the uric acid level goes up not because of the sardines themselves but from the preservatives they got all over them...

QUOTE anyway, alternative medicine is gradually become much more popular. but alternative med. such as using herb sometimes lack of scientific evidence. i hope those scientist would done studies to improve this in the future.. since phytochemical seem more stable than synthetic chemical and it posses incredible amount of unknown potential. who knows, maybe the cure for HIV might be can be derived from phytochemical compound?

The alternative medic generally is derived from the Ancient medicine. In antiquity, I suppose thay could heal some ilnesses, couldn't they? And they hadn't and Aspirins or Prozak or whatever. They use herbs and mixtures of them, but they knew what and how. Nowdays this kind of knowledge is got out of the foreground, even if some doctors try to bring it back.

The reason is one (at least one I know of): To be dependent in the medicines some COMPANIES make, medicines which many of them have more side-effects than positive results. Companies do not want you money... directly. They will have them, when you will become DEPENDANT. Some kind of drug user. Of course this is not a fact, but I have too many indications.

Try a reasearch about Wilhelm Reich and you will understand MANY things...
ph34r.gif

QUOTE any way stay healthy is the best solution.. as i mentioned before, eat something nutritious, rest well... manage sleep..
prevention is much more better than cure wink.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif

Great! Add and some kind of fighting spirit and you will become number one (don't forget many animes mention the fighting spirit), "Use the Force" if you like...
cool.gif

QUOTE (AncientMariner @ Sep 04 2007, 05:02 PM)Anyway my information says that the uric acid level goes up not because of the sardines themselves but from the preservatives they got all over them...
oh yes your right.. i forgot to mention that "canned sardine" (that in tomato sauce usually).. XD LOL... thank you for correcting my mistake..

Just read in the papers today that anti-depressants may have little effect on all but the most severely depressed patients. Most of the percieved improvements are actually due to the placebo effect, with people feeling better simply because they feel they are taking medication. It was found that the actual changes caused by taking anti-depressants themselves were smaller than once thought with the effects being relatively small and open to interpretation.

QUOTE (julezia @ Aug 21 2007, 02:44 PM) This is very interesting. I have read an article about our diet and depression.

It is true that diet can affect your mental health. It has been suggested that having more omega-3 fats can have a positive effect on your mental well being as people who have more omega fats tend to be at lower risk from getting depression or schizophrenia. It is also well documented that diets high in sugar adversely effect peoples' (in particular children's) attention span making things such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) more common. I'm not saying these conditions will be cured or eliminated by a change of diet but the symptoms will not be as severe.

Exercise is also a known mood elevator and has even been known to help conditions such as manic depression or schizophrenia. I'm not really sure the exact reason why it works (I will guess it is probably due to extra levels of serotonin produced during exercise) in any case there is definitely a link between exercise and good/improved mental health.

I tried Wellbutrin, but it only made me want to sleep a frigging lot. Now I'm on Lexapro, and it's actually helping quite a bit. I don't get as many ups and down throughout the course of a day. So, in a nutshell, I'm reasonably happy, for lack of a better word
tongue.gif

First of all most of the med are case specific, meaning that work some people body chemistry and not for others. So companies can clam that they have proof that it works.

So not in all cases could you say that the meds are an all out evil. I have a very close friend that heavily depends on them for his own sack(like going missing for 3 day dependant). Me personally they never did work and I agree with most of you that I am personally better with out. I had severe mood swings but in the end I had to come to terms with myself and make a big change in my life(ex moving from PA to LA, CA).

Truly I believe that the Medicinal Manufactures are in it for the money. They find a partial (so called) solution and stop short from the true goal, why, cause they can make money with what they have. The whole ideal of, "fixing the problem", has been so misconstrued. We all understand that it takes a long time and a lot of money to develop these but why stop short?

I think the biggest problem is there are a lot (and by lot I mean LOT) of people who DON'T need antidepressants, but doctors are too happy to put them on them because they get a cut (sorta like a quota) for the more people they administer these drugs to. I would be willing to bet the actual percentage of folk that are on antidepressants that truly necessitate them is probably around 10-15.

QUOTE (overfiend1976 @ Feb 26 2008, 09:36 PM) I think the biggest problem is there are a lot (and by lot I mean LOT) of people who DON'T need antidepressants, but doctors are too happy to put them on them because they get a cut (sorta like a quota) for the more people they administer these drugs to. I would be willing to bet the actual percentage of folk that are on antidepressants that truly necessitate them is probably around 10-15.
long time ago a doctor of this psychiatric hospital was challenged by this another former psychiatrist who claimed the doctor knew little about psychiatry. So in the next 3 months the former psychiatrist said to the doctor to send fake patients to test his true skills.

In the end around 30? if i recall correctly was caught by the doctor
But it happens out that former psychiatrist did not send a single fake patient.

This leads to the question of what exactly is depression
you can't be little crazy, your either crazy or not.
samething with depression one is either depressed or not. i think doctor don't want to take chances for not curing depression on early phases as that can lead to further problems if left untreated. Because one shows little symptom of depression does not mean they don't need it cause they may be really in bad shape or soon will be in badshape. If that borderline is unclear of that person being depressed or not anti depressants should be used.

I think other therapies should be tried before antidepressants are fed to a person. I waited 15 years before trying any. Only after I had gone through every other logical solution did I deed them necessary.

I took Paxil for about 2 years, about 8 years ago. I guess the drugs, along with counseling, helped me "snap out of" a major depressive bout I'd been having for a good couple years leading up to it. The drug itself... it was okay. I didn't have any of the bad side effects, but the thing was I hated taking pills (not an ethical stance of any sort, it just sorta makes me go "bleh"; I can't explain why). So occasionally I wouldn't take it for 4-5 days at a time and so I'd get excruciating headaches and I was so upset I could do nothing but go somewhere to be alone and cry (um, withdrawal anyone?). Eventually I weaned myself off them. Now-- even though I still definitely have depressive tendencies (let's not talk about that)-- on some level, I've decided that as long as I'm not a danger to myself or others (and I'm able to make that distinction), I can live with depression. It's okay for me to be "melancholy," as it used to be labeled. I think it's just my personality. Think of how many really interesting people in history have been afflicted with what we now consider mental disorders, and how much would be lost to the world if they had been medicated into "normality." (I'm not implying that I have some great work of art up my sleeve, I'm just sayin'...).

Maybe the harsh (and, inversely, wonderfully amazing) realities of life aren't something to be medicated away. What are the highs without the lows?

bah, this is a topic I don't really have strong feelings towards one way or the other. I for one never had to take any medications growing up, much less antidepressant. I went, "al naturalle", as it were.
tongue.gif
Drugs can help, but they often come with a price. Although I personally have always been a fan of the notion that we can overcome any mental issue we may be faced with, I'm aware that that can't always be the case. I know I've gone though my depressive episodes (oy, what a year that was
dry.gif
), but I always work my way through them, always learning something new about me and the world around me while I do it. But I've never been all that highly depressive of a guy, for that matter.

things start getting hazy when it's your brain is being afflicted. There's no saying what's going on in there.

So yeah, drug up if you want, be a man (or an amazing woman, for that matter), and tough it out, or both, or neither. It's all good. Just make sure you're not lying to yourself, that's all I ask.

*gives poonk a hug*

sorry overfiend, no hug for you today.

*jumps out the window*

poonk I can really relate to your story, I was also on paxil for about 2 yrs and along with therapy I think it helped quite a bit.

Unfortunately though, I'm not off anti-depressants yet, everytime I've tried to wean myself off of them, I get horrible withdrawal symptoms and I end up back on the drug all over again. I am currently on Effexor, and some of the withdrawal symptoms include brain shivers, nausea, extreme fatigue, insomnia and major depressive episodes... If you feel you need to take anti-depressants and your psychiatrist recommends this, I urge you think twice before taking it.. its really hard to stop. Some people still feel withdrawal symptoms after a year of not taking it. And, you can feel these effects even after missing one dose!

I don't know the details of your case poonk but I think you're really strong to be able to live without anti depressants and move on with your life..

QUOTE (julezia @ Feb 27 2008, 02:48 PM) I am currently on Effexor, and some of the withdrawal symptoms include brain shivers, nausea, extreme fatigue, insomnia and major depressive episodes... If you feel you need to take anti-depressants and your psychiatrist recommends this, I urge you think twice before taking it.. its really hard to stop. Some people still feel withdrawal symptoms after a year of not taking it. And, you can feel these effects even after missing one dose!

julezia, I had the unfortunate experience with it. Though I lucked out when my insurance ran out, but yeah the withdrawal symptoms are bad. It also takes a long time for the symptoms I feel better without.

QUOTE (julezia @ Feb 27 2008, 03:48 PM)I don't know the details of your case poonk but I think you're really strong to be able to live without anti depressants and move on with your life..Thanks, but you flatter me much too much. I'm not strong, I've just gotten better at distracting myself. There's a reason I'm always watching a ton of different anime/dramas, reading manga, listening to music, and/or doing various crafty projects. I loathe and/or fear boredom and so I keep busy, even if it's not a very constructive sort of busy. It's like a perpetual state of running from something unpleasant that I know is lurking in the back of my mind, so I surround myself with bright, shiny things to keep me from looking at that. But I'm still somewhat antisocial (I find it very difficult to relate to other people; sometimes I wonder if we're different creatures completely) and as such I'm prone to isolating myself, both figuratively and literally. I don't know if I've really "moved on" so much as "learned to look the other way for the moment." But enough about me!:

QUOTE (EggBeast @ Feb 27 2008, 02:19 AM)*jumps out the window*If EggBeast keeps jumping out the window, the Authorities may decide he needs some psychiatric help too! (I kid, I kid)

My boyfriend says that eventually, anti-depressants actually do correct depression, but it takes a while. He's currently on them; he stopped taking them for four days because he needed surgery, and he said his withdrawal symptoms were pretty much just being really angry at everything for no reason. He said he didn't feel anything else different from that, though; I don't know what medicine he currently takes.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back