Books

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

What genre do you like?

• Sci fi/Fantasy(Space ships and magic)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Psychological(Symbolism and that mind stuff)

• Non fiction(Its all real to me!

• Mystery( Who is the killer?)

• Romance(Hearts aflutter)

• Short stories(Its gotta be short and sweet)

• I don't read( Because I can)

• Other( A LITTLE of everything or a couple,etc)

• Total voters
A book I would recommend is Animal Farm by George Orwell. On the surface it may appear to be a child's story but it is actually a very cleverly done satire piece on Stalinist Russia. Nearly every animal on the farm represents some member of Russian society. It's not very a long story (80ish pages) so it shouldn't be too daunting for most people.

Keeping with George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four is also a good one. Set in a dystopian society where the government practices a totalitarian regime where citizens are constantly monitored. A very good read and a lot of the content is relevant to real life, particular in light of the climate in terrorism. He's written a few other books but the two I described IMHO, are the best (and most famous). I warn you his books can be pretty depressing if read back to back, like I did.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Feb 25 2009, 10:27 AM) A book I would recommend is Animal Farm by George Orwell. On the surface it may appear to be a child's story but it is actually a very cleverly done satire piece on Stalinist Russia. Nearly every animal on the farm represents some member of Russian society. It's not very a long story (80ish pages) so it shouldn't be too daunting for most people.

Keeping with George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four is also a good one. Set in a dystopian society where the government practices a totalitarian regime where citizens are constantly monitored. A very good read and a lot of the content is relevant to real life, particular in light of the climate in terrorism. He's written a few other books but the two I described IMHO, are the best (and most famous). I warn you his books can be pretty depressing if read back to back, like I did.
tongue.gif

OMG

That's the book I learn for English 9 when I was in Junior high.

(Animal Farm)

I think most Americans had read it.

Well, that book is one of the best book in school I've ever read.

(Most of the books I learn in school sucks, I slept every time.)

I don’t really read fiction much at all, usually only stuff that people give me. For escapism I already have anime and manga and TV dramas etc.

I like reading real life accounts of things, for instance George Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London" is a factual account of living in desperate poverty in the 1920s which is every bit as fascinating and moving as any novel.

Similarly Chris Bonnington's "Everest the Hard Way" about the first ascent of the precipitous South-West Face of Everest in 1975 is more exciting (and of course massively more authentic!) than any novel about mountaineers, being packed with first-hand accounts of many epic moments by expedition members.

If you like music, "The Manual / How to have a number one hit single" by the KLF reveals how you can blag your way to the top of the charts using other people's money and facilities. (It's now something of a period piece since you no longer need access to a recording studio or any physical manufacturing of records or CDs, but the explanation of the simple musical formula that nearly all No.1 hit singles follow, and how they get exposure and airplay, is still valid I think).

Academic books can be interesting too. For instance I've recently been browsing "Linguistics and Literature" by Raymond Chapman about the way authors and poets use language structures (grammar, syntax, tense, vocabulary etc) as an intrinsic part of their story telling, helping convey characters, moods, or create contrasts, and ultimatelty how great authors can end up affecting everyday language.

Reading such stuff is not an expensive hobby: almost all of these books I acquired for pennies from second hand book shops! Admittedly this means they're mostly quite old books, but none the worse for it IMHO.

Hmmm the "Psychological" area fits me perfectly although I'm more into the symbolism part. I like to stick with classic novels because I'd like to better my intellect (don't know if it's working xD) but every so often I'll read a fantasy story just for fun.

I would have to agree with monsta666 in that 1984 is a truly amazing book which everyone has to read, I can't think of much at the moment but I will compile a list and post it up.

I'm kind of a Christopher Hitchens fan. I have yet to "read" any of his books, though I've listened to about 1/2 of "god is not Great" in audio book form (dangl this guy knows a lot of stuff). BUT! Today, after my last class, I randomly decided to check out the student library (where students ONLY go to study or play internet games on the computers), and I actually decided to go through the books, and I saw a biography of Thomas Jefferson by Hitchens, so I picked it up and read through the first chapter. I've gotta say, it was pretty interesting (I only fell asleep once every 30 pages!) I think I might just go there from time-to-time whenever I'm not doing much, read a chapter, leave, and just finish it up that way. It's only a 200-page book, and it's an interesting insight to the founding/shaping of America, so I think I'll stick with it. (geez, maybe I should just check the thing out for 3 weeks
tongue.gif
)

but, outside of that, the only reading I've done for pleasure has been "Omnivore's Dilemma", and the Wheel of Time series. I've read through about 1/4 of Goethe's "Faust", as well, but it blew mind mind well before I finished it (that... and I started working 10-12 hour shifts at the internship and didn't have the brain-power to translate the "olde` world" english translation of it to the "newe` world" english my brain uses.

...I really don't read all that often.
tongue.gif

Sci-Fi Fantasy fan here too, looks like we're the majority. My favorite series has got to be The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind. I've never read a book that has the same depth to the characters as that series (though I've seen a few come close). If you aren't put off by the high page count (some of the dozen books reach 900 pages), it's a great series to read

Yay, someone else who likes The Sword of Truth series!! It's a really great set of books. The writer (Terry Goodkind) was able to add a lot of depth to the world for the reader to get absorbed in. I know a lot of people though who dropped the series somewhere near the whole Chainfire/Phantom/Confessor timeline because things start to slow down. But if you just keep reading it's well worth it.

Also a big fan of Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series, an excellent mix of sci-fi and fantasy. Again, a writer who can put a lot of depth into the world and characters.

And of course, I'm now a fan of one of the big 'classics': Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - a very good (and very short by my standards, only 324 pages compared to my usual 1000+) sci-fi story. I actually only read this book last weekend (whipped through it in 2 nights) but it was really good, and now I look forward to grabbing up the rest of the series for a read. I should actually run to the library and see if they have it... o.o

One book strikes my mind. Lords of the flies. Basically victorian values gone wrong. A very good book about man's capacity for evil.The micro/macro design was also very well thought out. If girls were on the island, it could of been so much worst.

I usually tend to read books/plays about the victorian age since i love that period in history. You'll never find a wittier period than the victorian age. These days im reading alot from the pop psychology genre.

With me im more ofa Sci-Fi,Fiction,Fantasy,Action,Thriller kind of person.When I was younger I always read R.L Stine books(and I still do)but now I read what interests me here is what I read over the summer,or what I can remeber:

>The Summoning(By Kelley Armstrong)
>The Otherworldlies(By Jennifer Anne Kogler)
>Superstitious(By R.L Stine)

Theres more but cant remeber
mad.gif

Whoah, i saw some good books here
biggrin.gif

I also read 1984, Harry Potter (of course), The Sword of Truth series from Terry Goodkind and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. They were really worth it.

Just to name some of the series i've read:
The Belgariad, the Mallorean, the Elenium, the Tamuli, the Dreamers, the redemption of Althalus all from David Eddings
The Death gate cycle, Death sword series from Weis & Hickman
The Dragon throne series from Tad Williams
Lord of the Rings series from J,R.R. Tolkien
Amber series from R. Zelazny
Magician and all following books from Raymond E. Feist
A song of fire and ice from George R.R. Martin
Kingdom for Sale and the Shannara series from Terry Brooks
Mastermagician from Maryson

Im working my way through the Horus Heresy series, for Warhammer 40k, plan to get caught up to the new one by the new year, currently on Fallen Angels, really is a good read, probably one of the best in the entire Heresy, but Mechanicum will remain my fav though since im a huge fan of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Would tell you what each is about but that would require me to explain what the Horus Heresy is, how each bit fits in haha. This is the first time ive read the Horus Heresy in such a short time, read them all up until Thousand Sons, but never in chronological order or anything. Still if your a fan of 40k or a casual reader of the Horus Heresy series i couldnt recommend Thousand Sons highly enough, plus in Janurary Propsero Burns is released with The Age of Darkness hot on its heels in march
biggrin.gif

Otherwise havnt done much in the way of reading much recently, started the Dune series a while back but got side tracked by other things.

But im getting aload of the Sharpe novels for christsmas, not chronological order but release order, so ill probably go through them since i loved the TV series and cant wait to read the original material
biggrin.gif

Well right now im reading

>The percy jackson series-Rick Riordan
>The fear street saga&trilogy-R.L Stine
>The series of Unfortunate events-Lemony Snicket(13 books in all)
>Harry Potter series-J.k Rowling
>The tale of Desperaux-Kate Dicamillo

And rereading the twilght saga YEAH!!!!!!!

Well ive been drawn back into books of late instead of my usual manga or comics. Been getting reaquainted with one of my fav authors H P Lovecraft so if you like horror or stange fiction then either 'Weird Tales' or 'Eldritch Tales' are just for you with The Thing on the Doorstep, Fungi of Yuggoth, Herbert West being some of my fav picks.

Also got to meet the author Alan Smith and he was a great guy so im going to recommend his Harvester of the Now trillogy if you like fantasy.

Books....man I haven't read proper books in a while. To date, my favourite books are the "His Dark Materials" Trilogy by Philip Pullman. I haven't had the chance to read the Of Fire and Ice series, the first book being "Games of Thrones", I've watched the TV series and patiently waiting for the 2nd season that starts airing next month.

Oh there's one more book I think people should read, its called "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.

(lolz at Hia, I just copied the msg I sent you and posted it here with a few edits.
tongue.gif
)

Under the Dome is alright but my god its long and so many characters the amount of times i found myself flicking to that character list at the begining. The Stand and Dark Tower are better by Stephan King

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Dec 12 2011, 10:09 PM) Under the Dome is alright but my god its long and so many characters the amount of times i found myself flicking to that character list at the begining. The Stand and Dark Tower are better by Stephan King
Yup its LONG....I don't read much books either but I'm gonna embark on reading the Of Fire and Ice series, the Halo books and the BioShock novel.

The 2 Stephen King books you've mentioned, will be ones I will look out for now.
rolleyes.gif

I've read the first Game of Thrones and I have watched some of the TV series (though not all of the episodes yet) The book was hard to put down... even though I knew some of what was going to happen. It was still so thrilling to read and I can't wait to get my hands on the next in the series.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Dec 13 2011, 12:35 AM) Yup its LONG....I don't read much books either but I'm gonna embark on reading the Of Fire and Ice series, the Halo books and the BioShock novel.

The 2 Stephen King books you've mentioned, will be ones I will look out for now.
rolleyes.gif

The Stand is just epic. Dark Tower is 7 books in total, if your put off by the Gunslinger (book 1) dont drop the series, since i hated the first one but stuck with it and really enjoyed it all in the end. Well worth it if you like fantasy epics, though honestly im not a fan of Stephen King really very few books i actualy like by him and that i would read again. But hope you like Dark Tower and the Stand.

Game of Thrones, ive read, i enjoyed it, havnt watched the series since im waiting for the DVD to arrive then me and my dad are going to watch it together. Hope it doesnt dissapoint since i enjoyed the book.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back