Books

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

What genre do you like?

• Sci fi/Fantasy(Space ships and magic)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Psychological(Symbolism and that mind stuff)

• Non fiction(Its all real to me!

• Mystery( Who is the killer?)

• Romance(Hearts aflutter)

• Short stories(Its gotta be short and sweet)

• I don't read( Because I can)

• Other( A LITTLE of everything or a couple,etc)

• Total voters

malfion

-dono
Kouhai
This topic is for recommending and just talking about books.

I'm more of a sci fi/fantasy person so I've read things like The Wheel of Time series, Pendragon, Eragon, Harry potter,etc.

My 3 fav books,
Enders Shadow
Enders Game
Shadow of the hegemon

Another book i liked was Deception point.

I like sci fi...... and fantasy if well written...... I consider the "disk world" from Terry Pratchett a well written fantasy book series.

I hated the literature they made us read in school, that was just unbearable load of crap. I am not a fan of psycho books ...... and most literature classics are just that. Like once we had to read a book called "clown". It was about a guy who is a clown by profession and his girlfriend left him and he was totally down because of it, drunk his guts out and kept thinking about her and the time he spent with her. I mean COMMON, who cares? This happens every day, ppl break up, they are depressed, BUT WHY ON EARTH DO I HAVE TO READ ABOUT IT??? and get depressed as well?
I also dont like literature filled with methaphores. If the author wants to say something, why doesnt he say so directly? I want to enjoy my book, I dont want to think the whole time about what on earth the author means with this weird scene or why did that character do/say that.

Basically I enjoy books that have an interesting plot, that means action, adventure, mystery...... books that have clear and easy to follow conversations and dont contain much psycho stuff. So yes, sci fi is the right genre for me. Very happy with it too!!!
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah, its a pretty common thing. Like we had to read Cold Mountain. The kept flashing back to old scenes. It took all the action out.
I hate how teachers and critics take deep meanings from books and artwork. Like this for example

scream.jpg

It is said by some to symbolize the human species taken by an attack of existential angst, with the skyline inspired by the red twilights seen after the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa.

All I see is a painting of a retarded guy screaming on a wharf in the afternoon with 2 people watching him.

What do you guys think of criticsim of Eragon? I'm really angry about how people say its a bad book because its plagurized from Star Wars. Everything with an adventure plot is plagurized from the epic Heroes journey formula.

Also:Theres a poll up now.

QUOTE (malfion @ Jan 06 2007, 06:01 PM) I'm more of a sci fi/fantasy person so I've read things like The Wheel of Time series, Pendragon, Eragon, Harry potter,etc. I also like Sci-fi, with Asimov holding one of the top places. But for some reason, unlike many other Asimov fans, the stories of Trentor are not my favorite. I see all of Asimov's genius in "corridors of time".

I also like historical novels. Preferably, renaissance or middle age times. For instance, Alexandre Dumas (the father, not the son) is one of my top author. Actually, I got about half a shelf of his books! For those who don't know him, his most famous book was the three musketeers.

@Malfion, I know that picture, but I don't remember the author, would you know it?

Its "The Scream" by Edvard Munch. Its one of the few paintings I actually enjoy looking at.
Bold, since your interested in history, have you reading anything about John Dee ?
I read a novel about him called The Alchemists Door in which he works with Rabbi Judah Loew and creates a golem ad Edward Kelly is the antagonist. But it was a fictious novel.
laugh.gif
Though the thing about the Rabbi creating a golem actually happened.

I also enjoy sci-fi/fantasy to a degree (Harry Potter and/or Ender for example), but I also enjoy historical fictions, usually 1700s and up. I also like books that take place in the UK, or that have a male-friendship (or more?) theme.

And yes, I have read every book my city library has to offer that covers those criteria
laugh.gif
But I've also begun reading more horror-type books, when I get the time. Probably one of my favourite books is Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice, which I've read countless times.

Responding to warita, although I hated them at the time, I enjoy having read many of the books I was assigned in school. I like catching the references in other styles of media
happy.gif

im not big on reading, its sad to say, but one of the few full novel books that ive read is a book called 'The Alchemist" (no, its got nothing to do with full metal alchemist
laugh.gif
) its a book writen by the author 'Palulo Coelho' a brazilian writer. this book was so good that it actualy changed the way i think about my life and life in general. here is an extract from the blerb: :The alchemist is a transforming novel about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, learning to read the omens strewn along lifes path and above all following our dreams."
Screw harry potter if you want to read tth ultimate book that will change the way you think about things read this book.

I like fanstasy/sci fi, but I voted for "I don't read". It's true as sad as it is. I guess there are other things I'm busy with. I really don't have the time to read. Obcourse I do "some" book reading at some time in the year, but not much. I really do need to finish book 5 and 6 of Harry Potter though:(

I'll read pretty much anything...Except romance...I can't stand how they spend a whole frackin page and a half on how intense and bla-de-bla-de-blah some guys eyes are. Honestly, how can people enjoy reading something so fake???? All that "quivering woman-flesh" crap makes me want to hurl.

Classics are something that I can and will read, but I have to be in the mood for it, otherwise it might as well be kindling. But overall, I read anything, once in middle school, I got bored enough to read my mother's old Psych book from college and actually enjoyed it...but then, I was able to enhance my control of how people view me *manical laughter*

I'm pretty much considered THE bookworm of my school, while maintaing a schedule cram-packed with AP classes, I can read up to 7 books in one 4 1/2 wk grading period (Half-Blood Prince took one day, tho it was a Saturday, with nothing else pressing for attention). Needless to say, that in an english class where the teach grades on a curve and reading is a large part of the grade, I am hated as a curve shooter.

I voted for other since I read almost anything that is readable but recently I've not been reading much since I'm kinda busy with work and studies. For the time being, I'm only reading my text books and the newspapers. I did enjoy reading the Harry Potter series, it's actually the movie that has made me read all of the books. Well, just too bad that the Harry Potter series is going to end soon. J.K Rowling sure is a great author though. One of my favorites so far. So I must admit that I have a little preference for the fantasy/sci fi genre.
smile.gif

QUOTE (malfion @ Jan 06 2007, 09:27 PM) Its "The Scream" by Edvard Munch. Its one of the few paintings I actually enjoy looking at.
Bold, since your interested in history, have you reading anything about John Dee ?
I read a novel about him called The Alchemists Door in which he works with Rabbi Judah Loew and creates a golem ad Edward Kelly is the antagonist. But it was a fictious novel.
laugh.gif
Though the thing about the Rabbi creating a golem actually happened.
It did, in Prague.... it is part of our history!
tongue.gif

I liked 3 musketeers and I also liked other books from him.

Also a good exception from classical literature from school was: Don Quijote de la Mancha...... boy I loved that book!!!

i like all books really... but currently the two favourite books of mine are 'Twilight' and it's sequal 'New Moon' by Stephenie Meyer. I think it's classified under fantasy? There's vampires and werwolves... so yeah i think it's fantasy...
wink.gif
i recomend it to anyone really, its a really good read ^^

I like fantasy novels with wizards and dragons and the black arts. I would recommend the great author of the EarthSea Books, Ursula K. Le Guin. She has written the following and are meant to be read in the order in which they are listed:
A Wizard of EarthSea
The Tombs of Atuan
The Farthest Shore
Tehanu
The Other Wind
She has won the prestigious Hugo and Nebula Awards for best science fiction. The title of the book for the award won is, The Left Hand of Darkness.
Give her a try. You won't regret it.
biggrin.gif

I read a few books outa that series a few years ago, but could never find it in entirety. I read somethin like 3 books outa the middle. Had no idea what was actually going on, but I still loved em.

Then watch the anime series when it comes out!

Okay, so I think theres a connection between Otakus and Sci fi/Fantasy books/history etc, that affects the genre of anime they like watching.
Can anyone elaborate?

QUOTE (malfion @ Jan 07 2007, 01:46 PM) Okay, so I think theres a connection between Otakus and Sci fi/Fantasy books/history etc, that affects the genre of anime they like watching.
Can anyone elaborate?
I don't think that is just otaku-related. Most people watch things related to what they like to read. If you like horror books, you'll probably watch horror films. If you like reading romance, you'll probably watch romantic comedies or romantic dramas. Of course that's never a rule, but it's probably fairly true for many people.

Most certainly Sci-Fi with Fantasy as a second. SciFi for me is almost exclusively military SciFi with a backup of anything that has an adventure plot. I read alot of Lois McMaster Bjould, David Weber, Eric Flint, and others, classics like Anne McAffery, Issac Asimov, and (Oh my god that's ancient!) Larry Niven.

It was my mom who got me into SciFi as child, she used to read i to me when I went to sleep. SciFi from her time, like Star Mother, and other really really far out Sci-Fi novels. I wound up "acquiring" her collection she accumulated as a teenager, hundreds of which are out of print, but excellent stories, such as The Rim Gods/The Rim Worlds, which follows the adventures of a swashbuckling space captain in the equivalent of the galactic police force.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back