Borderlands

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Ok, just finished my first play through. Did every single quest well before the last line leading up to the vault.

Played as a Siren, speced main in the Controller tree.
Ended the game at lvl 36 with $3,667,389
My general loadout:
HX440 Double Stinger (SMG)
  • Damage: 45 x2
  • Accuracy: 84.8
  • Fire Rate: 12.5
  • +62% Recoil Reduction
  • 2.4x zoom
  • 69 round clip
SPR350 Terrible Matador (Shotgun)
  • Damage: 126 x12
  • Accuracy: 19.8
  • Fire Rate: 1.0
  • +6% Recoil Reduction
  • 1.5x zoom
  • 3 projectiles fired
  • 2 round clip
RPG11 Helix Rocket Launcher
  • Damage: 626 x3
  • Accuracy: 88.8
  • Fire Rate: 0.8
  • 2.7x zoom
  • 3 round clip
GGN9 Long Sniper
  • Damage: 414
  • Accuracy: 97.3
  • Fire Rate: 0.4
  • +150% Critical Damage
  • 1.0x zoom
  • 3 round clip
Class Mod:
230 Mercenary Class Mod
  • +36% SMG damage
  • +2 Quicksilver Skill
  • +2 High Velocity Skill
  • +7 SMG Ammo Regen
Shield:
PNG-100BS Balanced Unyielding Shield
  • Capacity: 668
  • Recharge Rate: 75
  • High Capacity
Secondary weapons (elementals):
TEK340 Burning SMG
  • Damage: 33
  • Accuracy: 83.3
  • Fire Rate: 10.8
  • x3 Fire
  • High Elemental Chance
TD12 Caustic SMG
  • Damage: 41
  • Accuracy: 78.7
  • Fire Rate: 8.3
  • x2 Corrosion
  • High Elemental Chance
KKA BlastSMG
  • Damage: 74
  • Accuracy: 88.9
  • Fire Rate: 6.9
  • x2 Explosion
  • High Elemental Chance
KKA2 Static SMG
  • Damage: 40
  • Accuracy: 83.3
  • Fire Rate: 6.9
  • x2 Lightning
  • High Elemental Chance
RPG20 Caustic Rocket Launcher
  • Damage: 423
  • Accuracy: 91.7
  • Fire Rate: 0.7
  • x4 Corrosion
  • High Elemental Chance
  • 1.9x zoom
  • 3 Round Clip
Also for the tough fights, I'd change my Class mod to:
350 Mercenary Class Mod
  • +40% SMG Damage
  • +2 Quicksilver Skill
  • +3 High Velocity Skill
  • +2 Girl Power
More damage, better skill bonus to High Velocity, and Girl Power, at a loss of my SMG ammo regen - definitely worth it for the more difficult fights...that said, I never actually used the damn thing because for most of the second half of the game I was way over leveled...Pretty much EVERY quest was trivial. I think I had about 5 quests that were 'normal'. I didn't have any Hard or Tough quests after I finished the second Coliseum (and only one quest was hard there, before that, it had been a long time since I had anything above normal too, lol).

If I were to give a few words of advice to someone who has not played the game yet, it would be this:
Do NOT do every single quest every time they become available. You will constantly be over leveled and everything will be WAY too easy. I have to admit, I was kind of bored because of how easily I ripped through all opponents (including the Crimson Lance and the alien guys).
Also, if you at all have the chance, play online with friends! The extra difficulty and extra fun is totally worth it. Working together is great, and random duels are hilarious when you just picked up some awesome gun that rapes your friend xD

Well, this game can officially be titled as Boredomlands.

After it caught my attention, I bought it. Came home, expecting something original. Installed it.

And oh boy the fun began with trying to make it actually work and not crash.

When Finally I did that(apparantly the game version was somehow corrupted and I had to get two files replaced).

Then I started it hoping that it will blow me away after all the hard work of getting it to run....

Well, it did not. This is officially quickest game to bore me. I litterally felt like playing a grind mmorpg, except that you play alone.

Then I tried coop. Same feling, except that there are more than one person getting bored.

The art style is great and all, however totally boring landscapes, poor character design, terribly repetitive quests and bland dungeon design completely killed it.

Thereby I can call this this game "The most overrated game of the year" and am going to go back to shop, hoping to get a refund for it.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Nov 17 2009, 05:11 AM)The art style is great and all, however totally boring landscapes, poor character design, terribly repetitive quests and bland dungeon design completely killed it.

Thereby I can call this this game "The most overrated game of the year" and am going to go back to shop, hoping to get a refund for it.
I have to agree with this, I play with my fiance so it's not as boring but I think it's really overrated, maybe they shouldn't have spent so much time on the bajillion guns they added. The scenes and props are pretty much the same everywhere and I know that they could of done better. As for the quests, it would of been nice to have different quests specific for you class if you are working alone. I kinda feel like I'm playing a long demo... This game could of been really awesome, but it's not as much as I thought in the beginning. This game actually puts me to sleep to be honest. x:

QUOTE (Anybody @ Nov 17 2009, 04:11 AM) The art style is great and all, however totally boring landscapes, poor character design, terribly repetitive quests and bland dungeon design completely killed it.

The game looked tons better before they decided to make it cartoonish and add in the "lulz".

It's basically a game for people who like Diablo clones (and MMOs), which means grindgrindgrindgrind....

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Nov 18 2009, 01:04 PM) The game looked tons better before they decided to make it cartoonish and add in the "lulz".

It's basically a game for people who like Diablo clones (and MMOs), which means grindgrindgrindgrind....
Well I love diablo-like games and I have played about every mmo that has ever existed and I still can't help but get bored by this gamtbh the artstyle is the only thing that is good in this game :<

I guess we have complete polar opposites of opinions then.

The ART STYLE is fine, but I hate the way it was transferred to look on screen - it's extremely clunky, bulky, and ultimately ugly; it's bearable on max settings, but the lower you go, the worse and worse it seems (a bunch of thick black lines on blurry backgrounds and characters with bad physics. Mind you, that's on medium settings).

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Nov 18 2009, 01:30 PM)I guess we have complete polar opposites of opinions then.

The ART STYLE is fine, but I hate the way it was transferred to look on screen - it's extremely clunky, bulky, and ultimately ugly; it's bearable on max settings, but the lower you go, the worse and worse it seems (a bunch of thick black lines on blurry backgrounds and characters with bad physics. Mind you, that's on medium settings).
Its cellshading.

its wide-spread technique used in

FPS games
XIII_01.jpg

Mmorpgs:
zuonline.jpg

And even newest Prince of Persia Game:
elika2.jpg

princeofpersiaprodigy09.jpg

The main problem with Borderlands is HOW IT IS used. I assure you that it will look the same without cellshading, because the problems are in designs themselves and not in art style. It all looks bland in Borderlands and the STYLE itself is the only existing saving aspect of graphical design.

I know what cel-shading is. Not a big fan myself, but I'm fine with it.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Nov 18 2009, 01:50 PM) The main problem with Borderlands is HOW IT IS used.
Exactly what I said in the previous post.

Some of the early screenshots and concept arts I've seen looked a ton better than the final game. Some didn't.

Also, it's not just the cel-shading that was added; the overall style and mood of the game changed as well; it was supposed to be more serious with a better storyline (or that's what I heard).

I have a lot of fun playing this game except for a few crashes here and there.
First I didnt know what to think about the grafik style but I got used to it.

Ok the story isnt that good up until now, but Im not that far (on my way to Sledge now).

And the bag is too small, but running around with 500 guns isnt really realistic ^^

I love this game, I play it when I can, although I work 7 days a week.

Add me, If anyone wishes.

Zetsubou-sensei

I'm looking for some good weapons, and I always have extra I can hand out.

So Im through with it and it was a really good game that got me hooked for some hours. But the end was just unsatisfying. It was really bad.

I played as Roland and at the end I was lvl 37, but havent done a lot of quests. Im mainly that high of a lvl because the game crashed a lot and I had to do many things two or even three times.

@dchaosblade: Where did you get those guns? I havent even found one that was even near as good as yours oO

I bought this game on ebay for £22 (about 35 US dollars I guess) and it arrived yesterday morning but I was pretty busy yesterday and was only able to find 2 hours to play this and I got up to level 7 with Roland, tbh I have no idea with the whole modding ur gun stuff thing but I do know how I'm meant to send points to attributes that help me and my action skill overall.
wink.gif

Its a decent fun game but it requires you to do at least 2 playthroughs.
wink.gif

I'm gonna play more of it today and report back on my status.
rolleyes.gif

My progress: -

I played for about 5 to 6 hours today. I reached level 13, only need to level up 2 more times to be able to use shock SMG.
rolleyes.gif
I've got 10 of the 70 achievements (125 of 1500) at the moment, I like this game, its repetitive but so were many other games I've played and I actually do enjoy killing the skags and bandits again and again. I wanna play it right now but I can't for sooooooo many reasons.
wink.gif

I am throughly addicted to this game....its like Diablo and Pokemon with GUNS.

I've now played the game for about 15 hours now. I have a lvl 20 Soldier (single player) and a lvl 8 Siren (co-op).

I've played the single player campaign for about 12 hours I think, I'm doing the mission "Sledge: Battle for Badlands", the reason I'm already lvl 20 is because in most of my missions I go back and fourth between shops to sell the guns I don't need and the ones I pick up and don't think are needed. Doing the whole traveling back and fourth obviously causes the enemies I had once killed to respawn after some time. I guess doing this helps me to gain more XP and money, I'll possibly be able to get the level 50 and the millionaire achievement by the end of my first playthrough but I somehow doubt it.
wink.gif

Tomorrow, I'll most likely not be able to play much of my 360 on either Saturday or Sunday because of having to go out and do stuffs as well as going to watch A-Team on the latter date most likely.
rolleyes.gif

I thought about buying this but stopped. It looks kinda like a Diablo FPS to me. I'm extremely picky about FPSes since I used to do tourneys and whatnot, and can't manage to ever keep myself only playing casually.

I don't know how you can play FPSes with a controller. Mouse+kb as a control scheme is so superior its insane, and I can't get my mind off it when I'm using a controller. My bro tried to get me to buy a 360 to play halo and whatnot with him sometimes, but I just don't enjoy playing with controllers. I guess this is the reason I could never get into college football either: I'm not enjoying the big plays because I see the defense making stupid mistakes. Being a perfectionist has its drawbacks.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Jul 30 2010, 11:57 PM) Tere's one BIG difference that separates this from Diablo.

Diablo was not boring.
I personally don't find this boring at all. I enjoyed the Diablo series as well as this game and plus I'm a natural game-grinder if I say so myself, I'll be in one area going back and fourth during a single mission to sell the guns and whatnot I've picked once my inventory is full.

I'm now lvl 22 Soldier and I have a lvl 8 Siren. I defeated Sledge when I was lvl 20 or 21, I'm hoping most ppl defeated him at an earlier lvl because that would mean that I would at least be above lvl 36 by the end of my first playthrough....I wanna be lvl 38 to 40 when I'm there.
wink.gif

I have 27 out of 70 achievements now (470/1500)......I guess the other reason why I like this game is that it reminds me of Brutal Legend somewhat but Brutal Legend was better than this, story-wise infact.
rolleyes.gif
Also this game is very easy.....I mean its a massive grind but if you work at it, you will be rewarded. There's absolutely nothing tough about it, many tough games do put ppl off, like Jet Set Radio stage of Sega Superstar Tennis, its a freaking kid's game but there's this one mission thats insane.....why the F is it there !?!?
blink.gif
ohmy.gif
mad.gif

@wedora, I started my gaming on console, so I've gotten use to the "controller". If you had a 360, I would say get Halo: Reach but since your a PC-guy, I'll suggest BRINK, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Crysis 2 when they come out. My favourite PC FPS series I've played is the Deus Ex series, Half-Life isn't that great compared to this series imo.
biggrin.gif

I just wanted to update on my status.
wink.gif

lvl 29 Soldier, I defeated Krom quite recently but I could have done it later as I have a few side missions to attend to. I just met Taylor Kobb and unfortunately, I know about the dude being a backstabber via spoilers.
dry.gif

Anyways, I really do enjoy this game and I don't why some find this game boring !?!
blink.gif
Perhaps, its the whole mission concept or that the layout of the areas are quite simple, which in turn makes the gaming experience quite easy-going or the background music could be better or that the scenery is quite ugly at times. I really hate the Scythid that populate the Rust Commons, the noise they make is seriously gross......I absolutely HATE that weird squeak noise.....yuck!
wacko.gif

TBH, I don't find the game challenging compared to others, its more like a natural progression of its story. I really enjoy listening to Tannis' ECHO recordings but they're not as good as the logs from ODST. The ECHO recordings, there's only 9 of them but they're great as they show how sanity disappears as she continues to live on Pandora leading up to her current predicament.
rolleyes.gif

I'm a little worried though, are the game endings slightly different for each class (Soldier, Siren, Hunter and Berserker) ?

The ending is exactly the same regardless of class, though that doesn't stop the ending from being extremely weak in the story department.

Thanx for the update Barbo, kinda firgured it out before checking this thread.
wink.gif
The story is weak but I guess its done so that a "2nd playthrough" can be done.....who am I kidding ?? Gearbox....why ?
blink.gif

Anyways, I love the game regardless and beat the boss at lvl 37 and it was the only boss where I died.....I died about 4 times until I figured out I have to shoot the tentacle's weakspot and after I did that I went on the left hand side and I was behind him and I just started shooting him with loads of different weapons.

I have 46 out of the 70 achievements, the missing 4 of the original 50 are the level 40 & 50 achievements and the 15 kills by the Berserker's and Hunter's action skill.
wink.gif

I have Secret Armory, so I'll be playing that for a bit, I've done a lot of the Borderlands Challenges and the last one I got was War Criminal (Kill 2500 human enemies).
rolleyes.gif

The 4th upcoming DLC is gonna be about the interplanetary ninja assassin claptrap, who we saw at the end of the game of how became hacked/evil.
laugh.gif

QUOTE Tere's one BIG difference that separates this from Diablo.

Diablo was not boring.

It wasn't?
rolleyes.gif
News to me.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back