Bungaku Shoujo

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

daft27

-nya
Retired
Instantly one of my all-time top picks.

There's an errata for Doki subs on the movie. It should help resolve a question or two.
QUOTE 0,1:39:56.89: “She’s going to read Inoue Miu’s new novel, right?”
0,1:40:02.82: “Hopefully she will like it”
0,1:40:04.89: “If it’s her, she will surely like it”

You're right, this is an instant (and high ranking) favorite. It has the right amount of suspense, tension, character development, and enough humor to keep it from dipping too far into the 'emo well'.

I just wish we could have had a little more there at the end after the credits. Was that Tohko at the end ringing the door bell? The kiss at the train station and way/tone he used when mentioning Tohko's dream (Her dream to read his book), and the fact that his 2nd book was published (and named literature girl) made me think that indeed it was her at the end.

I'd actually done a little research on this before it came out and the novels it's based on sound cool so I might pick them up as they get released from Yen Press. To bad it will take till 2014 to finish all 8 novels lol. Anywho, great movie.

A really great movie. Never expected something like this. I thought it would be more like a funny little romance story.

The characters were great and very different and realistic (except of the book-eating thing of course). But at the first, dont know 30 minutes or something I couldnt stop thinking that Konoha is mentally disabled because he reacted so completely strange for no reason. But after they explained everything that happened it was understandable.
Im quite surprised to see him kissing Touko right after confessing to Mio, but since Im not beliving in love especially to only beeing able to love one person at a time I dont really care since it fitted. Just a surprise to see it.

I really hope they will do more movies out of this franchise since I read on MAL that a lot more things are happening to the people after all that. So this is only the beginning of their story just like Touko said.

Only bad point is that the whole book-eating thing was completely useless the whole time. They couldve let that out.

Im only wondering why the OVA is different, at least I remember it to be different.

The movie gets a 10/10 from me.
Im probably getting the two movies, the one about the Nightrail and the one about Kenji himself. Too bad Im not into light novels, but maybe I will get the mangas of this since I want know what happens after all that.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Sep 19 2010, 04:14 PM) Only bad point is that the whole book-eating thing was completely useless the whole time. They couldve let that out.

I almost cut the movie off after that ridiculous scene in the first 15 minutes of the movie. I thought I was going to be watching a serious movie and that really was a wtf moment. Though now that I've read these few almost glowing recommendations on the site I'm going to go ahead and just look past the book eating -- sounds like I would be missing out on a lot of entertainment value if I don't finish it.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Sep 19 2010, 05:14 PM)Im quite surprised to see him kissing Touko right after confessing to Mio, but since Im not beliving in love especially to only beeing able to love one person at a time I dont really care since it fitted. Just a surprise to see it.
I think the actual confession itself happened way in the past, which Touko was helping bring to light at the planetarium. Miu had failed to make the connection herself, and Konoha wasn't making it entirely obvious. If my timeline is right, it was about 2 years in the past.

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Sep 21 2010, 02:34 PM) I almost cut the movie off after that ridiculous scene in the first 15 minutes of the movie. I thought I was going to be watching a serious movie and that really was a wtf moment. Though now that I've read these few almost glowing recommendations on the site I'm going to go ahead and just look past the book eating -- sounds like I would be missing out on a lot of entertainment value if I don't finish it.
The first 15 minutes makes a lot more sense if you watch the other two OVAs. "Memoir" finishes using the same scene that the movie starts with. "Hatsukoi" takes place somewhere in the middle of the movie, chronicling a typical day for Touko when Konoha is part of the literature club. It doesn't really change the nature of the story .. it just helps establish the mood, setting and characters a bit. Although a bit absurd, I find the book-eating aspect of Touko embodies a large portion of the romanticism in the story.

@Geizhals - judging by the exchange at the train station, and the comments that Konoha makes at the end of the movie about "if it's her, she will surely like it", I'm inclined to think that the person at the door was Touko as well. Also, if the first book was a written confession in a form of a story about Konoha and Miu, I'm led to believe that the second book, a book about Touko, can also be interpreted as a written confession as well. 

Yeah The written confession was two years ago with the book, but he only said it to her in the planetarium. And shortly after he kissed Touko.

The thin that bothers me a bit with Memoire is that in Memoire she already knows he wrote that book, but in the movie he tells her since she doesnt know. Probably only a smill mistake on the producers site.

What is this?? I just saw Memoire 1 and it was very good indeed. Now to get to the second episode and than the movie and see if this indeed maybe one hidden gem
biggrin.gif
. Is she really only eating books? what is she?

Edit: memoire 2 is different. At first i couldn't place it in relation to the first but after watching it completely i got the picture. This really does seem to be a nice story. She really is hurt badly and needs help. To see how she slides into a person who doesn't let anyone or anything near the only one she trusts is very sad
sad.gif

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Dec 29 2010, 09:10 AM) Is she really only eating books? what is she?
Touko is a youkai that can feel the emotions of text through eating them. This is mostly explained in Memoire 1 and the very beginning of the movie, but if you want a more in depth explanation, you'll have to read the novels

As for Memoire 2, it actually makes a lot more sense after watching the movie even though the memoire's are to serve as the prequel to the movie.

I saw the movie (and suddenly remembered i had seen it before..it was great at that moment and still is. This movie is worth watching again.). The memoire ova's make the story complete. The characters are very good and it was easy to relate to them (even if she is a Youkai).
To say that watching the ova's and movie to see a very good story may be an understatement. I know what i would say: if you don't know what to watch for the next week watch this.
The movie is worth a 9 out of 10 and the ova's a little bit less 8.5 each.

Bungaku Shoujo Memoire provides further character development on the three main heroines of the movie: Touko Amano, Miu Asakura, and Nanase Kotobuki. All three episodes focused on each of the characters and provided a back story of how each one met Konoha Inoue, the male protagonist. I'll be blunt, I preferred the Memoire OVAs over the movie. While the movie's story was overall more intriguing, the pacing was rushed and didn't allow much development. The lack of following the novels and jumping straight into the fifth novel only made things worse for the movie. However, the movie is definitely by no means bad and itself was a work of art.

The first two episodes of the OVA, especially the second one provides the necessary knowledge for the movie. The third OVA, while out of place since Nanase didn't play all that big of a role in the movie, was definitely meaningful overall since it really told us who Nanase really was beforehand.

Overall, not much in the OVAs but definitely a great watch. However, I really wished they bunched the OVAs into the movie as that would have probably made it into a more interesting piece of work. Both had their own flaws as standalone titles but together I'm sure they would have been great.

OVA Final Score: 8/10
Movie Final Score: 8/10

I really like the OVAs and just loved the Movie, but they couldve mad it better as a whole. Sure the OVAs are giving nice background to Touko, Miu and Nanase but it just feels like, argh I dont know a flashback or something and not really a part or so. Hard to describe. They shouldnt have made one OVA each girl but every girl a part in each OVA. It wouldve been better. And as Kit already said better coupled together with the Movie. So it feels a bit unfinished and not really thought through. And there are a lot of people appearing which are sudenly vanishing again even though they look important at furst, like Toukos aunt and her childhoodfrien, what ever is name was. In OVA one they really looked like they play a role but then you never saw them in the movie.
They probably shouldve made it two Movies with both the plot of the movie and the OVAs.

Still that doesnt mean it was bad, just not as good as it could be, but still far better than a lot of other things currently.
I just hope they do more since there is a lot more story to cover from what I read. And Maki gets a little more attention, which I would really like since she is just the hottest girl in the cast and has a nice story too.

Im giving the OVAs a 9/10 since they were really good as there own and are giving good additional info about the three main women.
And as written above the movie got a full 10/10 from me.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back