Can I run the latest games with no issues?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

InuyashaX

-Hokage
Kouhai
Ok, I I'm planning to buy a high end gaming PC in about 3 years so I plan to stick with my old PC for the time being.

I recently upgraded it last year and did a check on what my PC can run, and it turns out my CPU isnt good enough to run the latest games on the highest settings.

But everything else is of the highest quality for currect PC games on the market.

I ran a "can I run it" check for Left 4 Dead and some other games and got this for reccomended settings (the best specs needed)

Heres my specs:
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz --- FAIL
CPU Speed: 3.39 GHz--- PASS
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Build Service Pack 3)--- PASS
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (GeForce 8800 GT)--- PASS
System RAM: 2.5GB--- PASS

As you can see, all my specs pass for the highest quality for PC gaming as of now, but my CPU is dated. It said my CPU failed to play UT3, but I can play Unreal Tournament 3 on the highest settings with as far as I can even notice, zero lag in frame rate and quality. The game runs beautifully despite my CPU.

So, if I can run UT3, I can surely run any other major game. Would it be beneficial to update my CPU? For future years, yes my CPU will need upgrading for newer games, but for currect PC games out right now, should my specs be sufficient to run any PC game on maximum settings, excluding CrysisXD

Would it make much of a difference if I got a new CPU?

If you upgrade your CPU u have to make sure your motherboard can handle the faster cpu because motherboard are made for certain cpu. like if you get the i7 processor seeing u have a p4 your motherboard mostlikely can not support the i7 so you be ending up getting the motherboard and i7 processor almost everything else can be migrated over from the tower.

I dont Play that much game that you buy like halo and all and URT, COD, and others so im not aware of the spec you need but the site would tell you the min spec needed to decent quality.

Just remember you dont need to play every games with highest quality and dont even think you can play crycilis err miss spell... and any comp yet lol...

Well anyway seeing it a P4 dont do other things at the same time lol...but all in all it all up to you.

Me personally I do Games, Mutimedia,...alot of heavy stuff on my machine so i need better processors lol

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Mar 28 2009, 09:23 PM) If you upgrade your CPU u have to make sure your motherboard can handle the faster cpu because motherboard are made for certain cpu. like if you get the i7 processor seeing u have a p4 your motherboard mostlikely can not support the i7 so you be ending up getting the motherboard and i7 processor almost everything else can be migrated over from the tower.

I dont Play that much game that you buy like halo and all and URT, COD, and others so im not aware of the spec you need but the site would tell you the min spec needed to decent quality.

Just remember you dont need to play every games with highest quality and dont even think you can play crycilis err miss spell... and any comp yet lol...

Well anyway seeing it a P4 dont do other things at the same time lol...but all in all it all up to you.

Me personally I do Games, Mutimedia,...alot of heavy stuff on my machine so i need better processors lol
Yea, I'm aware about the motherboard too. And yea, pretty much the only PC to come close to handling Crysis on max settings would be the Falcon Northwest Mach V, super overclocked, with a $15,000 price tagXD

What do dual Core processors do opposed to single? Do they just help you perform multi apps better?

P4 one core your are limited on what u do. Dual core 2 cores process get split on what u do so yea it does help you do more stuff at once.
Another thing let say P4 3.3 gh and then dual core 3.3gh core one + 3.3gh core two meaning more the power to do things ....that a way to think of it

Just as a point, my specs are:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHZ
System RAM: 3.00 GB

And I can run Crysis on my computer on High (one level below the highest) without slowdown or anything. We have the same graphics card and I only have 500MB more RAM, so other than the processor we're basically the same. So...yeah.

Anyway, as far as processors go, having multiple cores allows for processes to be split up into more manageable pieces. Also because you have two cores, your processor speed is essentially higher even if not in reality. My dual core 2.60GHz will outperform your single core 3.0GHz in the long run even if yours might outperform mine when dedicated to only one process.

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Mar 28 2009, 11:40 PM) Just as a point, my specs are:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHZ
System RAM: 3.00 GB

And I can run Crysis on my computer on High (one level below the highest) without slowdown or anything. We have the same graphics card and I only have 500MB more RAM, so other than the processor we're basically the same. So...yeah.

Anyway, as far as processors go, having multiple cores allows for processes to be split up into more manageable pieces. Also because you have two cores, your processor speed is essentially higher even if not in reality. My dual core 2.60GHz will outperform your single core 3.0GHz in the long run even if yours might outperform mine when dedicated to only one process.
Ok cool, that makes my happy^^

Also, I checked and it seems the G-Force 8800 provides 512mb of its own RAM, so does that also get added onto my overall system RAM? I got 2.5GB of system RAM, so theoretically, would I actually have 3GB of RAM? Or is it separate RAM for both the system and video card?

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Mar 29 2009, 11:57 AM) Ok cool, that makes my happy^^

Also, I checked and it seems the G-Force 8800 provides 512mb of its own RAM, so does that also get added onto my overall system RAM? I got 2.5GB of system RAM, so theoretically, would I actually have 3GB of RAM? Or is it separate RAM for both the system and video card?
Nope. Video RAM and system RAM are two entirely different beasts. If you don't have enough video ram available though, the game/application will automatically begin to use system RAM which is usually, if not always, much slower.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back