Christianity

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Mar 21 2006, 08:11 AM) All religions are inter-related so what's wrong with talking about others? What I've always found interesting is the similarities between religions ('pagan' or otherwise). Like how most have a flood story. Taking a general view on things, all religions seem to have come from the same base and have just branched off and developed into what they are today.
i agree-

i'll read about it,and it is true that all religions seems to have come from the same base

yah.. i get you point chiisai_hana... but the thing is... if there is already a thread about the islam religion... why should it go to the Chrisitan religion thread... you know wat i mean? cause it would be in a way improper for it to belong to another place when it already has its own...
wink.gif

and if my explaination is not enough... then i think it is only proper to make a thread discussing all kinds of religion... gets?
tongue.gif

Most of human religion born from same three but people culture make them different. God always send a prophet to every clan but too bad later next generation of that clan think the prophet is good. That very common false and sometimes i found it in some religion.

QUOTE (d-boy @ Mar 23 2006, 07:01 PM) Most of human religion born from same three but people culture make them different. God always send a prophet to every clan but too bad later next generation of that clan think the prophet is good. That very common false and sometimes i found it in some religion.
good or God? No, I don't think Jews "think that David is God."

Jhvh does not equal Moses.

Zoroaster was/is not recognized Ahura Mazda.

Abraham was/is not recognized as God.

Do I need to mention just about every prophet that had existed up until this point? No, I think you've got the point.

more ppl hav been killed in the name of god then for any other reason.
ppl say oh my god whether they are religious or not.
religion is one of the major factors involved in racism.
praying a lot does not make u rich or famous.
for most ppl god takes up at least 2 hours of your weekend time.
god is an alternate place to put ur faith if u hav none in urself.
the point of living is not to fathom about who created the world.
the world is too imperfect to be made by the perfect entity.

some quotes i found on the net.

I agree, religions are being abused by some people for their own benefits. But really, who can stop it???

QUOTE (noob @ Apr 2 2006, 10:23 AM) I agree, religions are being abused by some people for their own benefits. But really, who can stop it???
I think the same thing. Most conflicts were just blamed on religion in order to cover up something. Although, I doubt it'll work now

QUOTE (smilelolz @ Apr 1 2006, 08:28 PM) more ppl hav been killed in the name of god then for any other reason.
ppl say oh my god whether they are religious or not.
religion is one of the major factors involved in racism.
praying a lot does not make u rich or famous.
for most ppl god takes up at least 2 hours of your weekend time.
god is an alternate place to put ur faith if u hav none in urself.
the point of living is not to fathom about who created the world.
the world is too imperfect to be made by the perfect entity.

some quotes i found on the net.
ummm... the God is some alternate thing is about 50-50 cause some people do for that reason and some just believe it... ) but either way the end is that they still have faith in God and love Him...
wink.gif
and that is what counts...
smile.gif
also Christianity as much as i know didn't kill people to worship God... but only animals...
wink.gif
see the Bible (Numbers, Deuteronomy, Leviticus)

lastly... MKK that fact is true... a lot of Chirstian do act as they aren't really Christains... and it is just really in a way hurtful and embarassing that some people are like that... cause in a way they are disgracing God... but have to admit... i also make mistakes and i'm in a time that i'm not really acting as a 100% Christian... which i myself am ashamed and embrass...
sad.gif
but i'm trying to improve and balance things...

Angel... just read through some of these posts up here... u seem to be strong in ur faith... you are right... no one is perfect; no one can be ... only christ can and what we are here for in such a corrupted world is to convert and be more like christ everyday; for our daily prayers reaches God and He answers always making our relationship stronger everytime... I know these concepts myself... I myself go to a christian school and live with a christian family... I have studied theology, became an evangelist, preached, became pentacostal, loved this such God... but somehow I felt empty... I knew that something was still missing even though this such God is to fill in all that patches and holes within my heart... I began to further research into such faith; so much of my research gathered and so much insecurity within has caused me to doubt and make my own thesis... writing down books of possibilities about different routes of christianity has become pointless... now all that's left is to live in neutrality... does such a side such as neutrality exist?... I use to not believe it did but now i do... don't get me wrong cause I've seen miracles; but also have seen demons... i believe but do not wish to take a side;... for i know that God being all giving is a lie... He says that He'll grant us salvation and will give us prosperity ONLY if we choose to follow Him... in other words; give Him our souls... same with Satan himself... all want our souls and try to seduce us; even other human beings; but i choose to keep my soul to myself... I choose to not slave myself to anything or anyone... all things needs exchange of some sort that is equal to what one wants... nothing is for free.. and if it is; someone out there loses something... thats how it always has been, is, and will be...

please angel; stay strong in ur faith for I am just a human that can't be trusted... I just prefer to share what I believe to people... this is not an argument... just my thesis.

i see where you are... i'm now in a way not that strong in my faith... but i'm not gonna let go... i know i have still have a lot to learn... and as far as i know i'll follow what i believe and as far as things are i live as a Christian...

I know i'm not walking straight with God, i'm ashamed by it but stopping is not the right answer... even if i'm ashamed i still move forward and let Him take care the rest..
wink.gif
like he said he would...
smile.gif

Personly I belive there is nothign wrong with the diffrent brances of christanity for who are we to judge the way eachother worships.

And thats all it is....a differrent way of worship.

We all follwo the same good.

The same holy book.

Though some of our beliefes maybe diffrent for example I;m a baptist and we belive you shouldn't christen children...ye sthey may be blassed but why shoudl you baptise children who are too young to understand it?

Baptism is a specal thing that should be done when the peron is good and ready to declaire they will leave there old lifebehind and live there life as a follower of the lord.

Theres my two cents.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

QUOTE (neutrality @ Mar 14 2006, 01:51 AM) You guys are now going off topic since Islam is not really related to Christianity unless you choose to look back to the beginning of the religions.

To get it back on track - I am a Buddist so if I offend anyone with my ignorance, I will say sorry right now
ph34r.gif

That said, I remember reading long time ago that Lutherans came to be because a British? king decided to divorce his wife and since h couldn't, because she was reelated to pope, he started his own branch so he could get another wife. Is this accurate?
dry.gif

Islam is related to christianity, and many islamic texts do mention Christ. Mohammed started islam about 500 year after Christ, demoted him to a messenger of god, and Mohammed himself because the one true prophet of god.

at least this is what i have been reading.

as for the main discussion i have an interested book on my shell right now i'd reccommend to Bold, however it may be near impossible to find another copy as it's 30 years old.

Check out Religions in America edited by Leo Rosten. It's based on an ongoing series by LOOK magazine and pretty much covers all christian sects.

Right now i'm currently reading A History of God by Karen Armstrong and it's a recent New York Times Bestseller. YOu might also be interested in that. Thirdly, check out The Gnostic Bible, which contains many translated Gnostic texts.

My own beliefs lie within a very christian mindset i guess, but believing christ to be human, a man of god, rather than divine, a god of man.

I pull my beliefs alot from the Gospel of Thomas, a supposedly heretical text from 50 AD which is a collection of wisdom sayings, although many sources have also been read and pulled from, including cannonical gospels and the gospels of mary and phillip. Christ, I believe had knowledge of god, or at least the will of god, as have others throught history. I believe the miracles happened, either through sleight of hand, or genuinely. After all, without the miracles it would be nearly impossible for the religion to develop: there were others with the same teachings at the time and in the region that didn't form religions, not to mention there's just a rather odd feeling accompanied by the miracles of christ in the gospels that when the apostles supposedly perform similar miracles in Acts, it simply comes off as a boast and a facetious claim of being ale to copy that whichh others had witnessed at the time.

I do not believe however that the miracles are of much value, simply because the teachings are the true message, and i remember a passage being of christ saying "I only do these so that you believe", in other words, they're just there to back up his authenticity.

It does not even matter that the words came from christ to me. buddhism has the message of loving kindness, and so do many other religions teach messages of loving your fellow man, doing acts of good will, etc.

that's what's at the heart of it all and that's what's important.

Other than that I'm skeptical as hell in a Thomasonian tradition (let me stick my fingers in the damned wounds before i believe), perhaps my little rant might have indicated that.

I really don't know what that would classify me as. Feel free to give your imput.

There's a bit I thought to add afterwards...

First of all, the fact that the gospel of Thomas is considered heretical is absurd to me. The passages sound more like Christ to me than anything else. and none of which conflict with the cannon gospels in my mind, but only elaborate moreso on them.

Examples such as the following often have their conterparts in cannonical text as well:

You see the speck in your brother's eye
but not the beam in your own eye.
when you take the beam out of your own eye,
then you will see clearly enough to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
(Thomas 26)

If two make peace with each other in one house,
they will tell the mountain, "Move"
and the mountain will move.
(Thomas 48)

Thosewho do not hate their father and mother
cannot be my students,
and those who do not hate their brothers and sisters
and bear the cross as i do
will not be worthy of me.
(Thomas 55)

All in all, Thomas takes on a rather contradictory tone, often mixing messages of loving and forgiveness with messages of hellfire and war, but this in't at all lacking in the cannon.

it's a matter of interpretation of his metaphors, which often leads to many differences in sects.

my interpretation has always been that sometimes war is waging on inside the soul of an individual while trying to make peace with the world around them. you are on guard against your own default actions and feelings of anger and envy and the likes which are both very natural to the human experience and at the same time counter to the message one wishes to convey.

Christ said he brought war, and not peace. i always interpreted it to mean an inner struggle and battle one fought with understanding. if you want to do the right thing, you have to be on guard against your own personal desires, and know when you are acting out of personal gain. it also helps to recoginze your own faults so that when you are faced with the actions of another you can empathise with them and understand that often times people act out of either self interest based on fear or greed. all things are fleeting and we don't like to lose often times what we have. seeing that the regretful actions of others often come from these feelings which we also share both humbles us and often times can help us find either a bond of love or fellowship or at least feelings of pity and mercy towards the offenders which softens the heart and guides us away from acting in retaliation.

it's human. we're flawed and trapped somewhere between beast and god. but it's always been said and admired that humanity also has the ability to recognise its flaws and overcome them.

this is the war within i feel christ talks about and asks us to fight, and it this that is talked about when he talks of how if your right hand sins to cut it off rather than to commit sin on its behalf.

secondly, a matter of my own faith:

I never had much thoughts on god, religion, or the mysteries of life until i had some rather strange and unexplainable incidences happen when i was 14.

up until then i stole from my parents and family, (mostly to feed myself, but that's another story)and often resorted to violence as an answer.

i won't say what happened but afterwards it was as if i just couldn't go on living the way i had. i had seen too much.

i didn't love god afterwards, in fact, i hated any such god that would allow such horrific things to happen in this world. i hated a god that so suddenly struck me down with such anguish and despair that made it difficult to get out of bed each day. (by the by, nobody died in front of me, nobody was in difficult times, it was simply a self contained incident unknowable to the rest of the world)

even to this day i'm sorta suspect of the bastard.

but somehow it worked its way inside of me and i became what i became...

now, i believe when i die, instead of kneeing god in the groin and kicking the man while he's down, i'll probably knee him in the groin and then after that's al wll and settled buy the man a nice rum and coke at the nearest bar while we shoot the breeze...

XD

someone it seemed later in the thread was talking of their faith lacking.

my simple advice would be this. I don't know your views on god, but in any which case, it knows your flawed. it's ok. it knows people do alot of horrible things, and that's part of having free will. god'll be understanding with that part anyhow. the point is to overcome your flawed nature and to do your best to make the world a pretty decent place to live and be a pretty decent chap to thebest of your ability.

I find it's the best way to show god ya believe in him and that even if others may not be listening, you are.

besides, people are more willing to buy ya a drink if your a good person...

XD

oh yeah, and a sense of humour helps alot.

I'm not christian, nor have I read the bible, and I have a thing against annoyingly religious people (or perhaps just all annoying people, w.e), but what do you guys mean wen you say Jesus died for our sins? How can somebody else takthe blame for what I did, and leave me free of sin? Wouldn't that make things worse, having somebody else die in my stead?

And, you say that we can be happy when we die if we truly believe that Jesus died for our sins and such, but how can god blame us for doubt if he doesn't prove that that is the way to go to heaven? The Islamic extremists who flew into the twin towers thought tht doing so would earn them a spot in heaven, so how can one know what the real thing to do is? Is being a good person an leading a good life all disregarded if you didn't believe in Christ?

QUOTE (fourier @ Sep 12 2006, 03:07 AM) How can somebody else takthe blame for what I did, and leave me free of sin? Wouldn't that make things worse, having somebody else die in my stead?
That's a very interesting thought ...

It probably has to do with your ability to believe. (I'm a horrible person to be answering religious questions, despite my 100% Christian upbringing
rolleyes.gif
) It's not so much "taking the blame" as saying "God forgives you because he loves you" and is probably more on the symbolic side of things.

And it's impossible to answer the last question ... because no one knows what happens after death. You just have to pick what you believe is right and live your life.

QUOTE (fourier @ Sep 12 2006, 03:07 AM)The Islamic extremists who flew into the twin towers thought tht doing so would earn them a spot in heaven, so how can one know what the real thing to do is? Is being a good person an leading a good life all disregarded if you didn't believe in Christ? You put your finger right on the spot! Religion is bringing answers where none exists. In the times when illness were not understood, religion explained it by saying illness were the doing of the evil. In a sense, it is true. I don`t think anyone thinks of HIV as his friend! In other words, until we know what happens aftre death, religion will offer explanations.

But the really important part is not the belief itself. If someone believes that after death he will become a fly with red fur, blue eyes and with the ability to eat duck tape, who cares! What does that belief means for that person? If it means that the person is going to help the poor because he wants to be that fly, then religion served its purpose.

The purpose of religion is to offer guidance and basic morale. It is up to the individuals to think about what they are doing and if it makes sense. Religion is there to make people's life better. Not to make them blow themselves up! When you are ready to end your life to gain "access to heaven" then you probably need to re-examine your life and to start questionning yourself.

For instance, this morning I was approached by a guy in the metro who started to talk to me about the word of god and how it made him happy. Good for him. I don't plan on following him. But if it makes him happy, who am I to disagree? More to the point, if that person was not smiling and telling people how happy he was, where would he be right now? Most likely, he would be either very sad or even dead. So religion, in a sense, did a good thing for him.

Bottom line is, the one and universal TRUTH does not exist and is not important. There is only what people believe in and what does those beliefs makes them do.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Sep 12 2006, 07:10 PM) That's a very interesting thought ...

It probably has to do with your ability to believe. (I'm a horrible person to be answering religious questions, despite my 100% Christian upbringing
rolleyes.gif
) It's not so much "taking the blame" as saying "God forgives you because he loves you" and is probably more on the symbolic side of things.

And it's impossible to answer the last question ... because no one knows what happens after death. You just have to pick what you believe is right and live your life.
actually, it's all about the original sin, when Adam beleived the snake and ate the apple
when we are born we come with this sin, this is what baptism does, it cleanses you of this sin
afterwards, you must go to a piest to conffess your sins (or ot God directly, depending on the religion)

God deceided to give humanity another chance, that is why he sent His only Son to be sacrificed by us, so we won't longer be with that dreadfull sin no more (we are reborn without the sin)

me, I'm an orthodox, not much of one, but I am
i go to church on Easter and the occasional wedding or funeral, or when visiting a monastary.

QUOTE (BAakaTheOne @ Sep 13 2006, 06:02 AM) actually, it's all about the original sin, when Adam beleived the snake and ate the apple
This is a very technical point, but wasn't it Eve who believed the snake? And then told Adam to eat the apple? And that is where the whole "women are evil" thing comes from that English teachers like to point out (
rolleyes.gif
)

Adam, Eve, the point is that they both did it in the end

yes it was Eve who first ate the apple (my bad)

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back