Cloning

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (Saigo_no_gakusha @ Aug 21 2008, 01:34 AM)Near impossible actually. There are certain nucleotide bonds which are more likely to break than others. In a living cell these breaks are easily repaired, but in dead tissue; not a chance. Not to mention, what source would you use ?
If your talking about dinosaurs then I agree with you.
smile.gif
That is close to impossible (despite what Jurassic Park says). It maybe a good film but some of its science is rather suspect. So we can't draw to many things from the film. If it means anything Jurassic Park is probably more scientifically accurate than Armageddon... Now that's bad! I generally hesitate to say something impossible. As they say, never say never! Hence my conservative statement.

On a more serious note I think it would be possible to bring back extinct species if they died out 20 years ago. If they could recover blood/tissue samples from somewhere then then it is very possible.

QUOTE (Saigo_no_gakusha)Are you sure that they didn't just reactivate the telomerase gene during the cellular reset process.
I don't know what the scientists did exactly when cloning the cattle. The basic gist was this. They took some stem cells from the cattle and when they fused it with an egg the length of telomeres actually increased. Why this happened is a mystery but happen it did!

QUOTE (Saigo_no_gakusha)In other words, as long as this bacteria is provided with this chemical it is happy and can reproduce and grow and survive. But the moment it leaves your care, and is therby deprived of the chemical, it dies. Or in the case of the oil spill cleaner, as soon as it has consumed the oil spill, it either starves to death, or gets the signal to die. If you have more than one signal that will do this, it becomes so difficult to escape that it approaches statistical impossibility.
I suppose if we put the controls as you suggested it is feasible. Then again how easy this is, is difficult to tell. I'm sure this technology (like nanotechnology) is still at it's infancy. So it's difficult to predict anything with any accuracy. Only time will tell if this is possible. Finally enough this is the same sort of stuff people say nanotechnology will be used for.

QUOTE (Saigo_no_gakusha)The edible parts of most crops are based on reproduction (seeds, fruits, vegetables etc are all reproductive parts), while most GM modifications are designed to enhance the organisms ability to grow faster with less waste, or resist problem diseases. By the way, breeding for a certain trait is GM, it just is done the old fashioned way, and takes a great deal more time.
The difference between convention breeding (what they've done for hundres of years) and GM foods is GM food have their DNA altered through genetic engineering NOT breeding. So it's different and has only started in the late 20th century.

QUOTE (Saigo_no_gakusha)Hmm, I guess I forgot to mention that in my first post. When you modify an exisiting animal you can change or modify it unintentionally. For example, changing a grain to make it resistant to a particular disease by producing a toxin that is effective against the disease, now has the potential to make the food possibly unedible, or at least more prone to allergic or negative reactions in the animal which is destined to eat it.
Also, inserting a gene into an existing genome is not as easy as it sounds.
If we have problems predicting the change of one gene. How is making an entire organism going to be simpler? If we're messing with a whole genome there are bound to be unpredictable effects. I believe the current problems of genetically modified bacteria will only be exacerbated if we started making new organisms.

Hmm perhaps we should carry on this discussion in a separate thread. At the moment it isn't really relevant to cloning (as interesting as it is). Why don't you open a separate thread on this topic and make the points you listed?
wink.gif

QUOTE It maybe a good film but some of its science is rather suspect.
mmm, yeah, it is one of those films that have just enough science to make it believable, but doesn't stand up long when you analyse it.

QUOTE If they could recover blood/tissue samples from somewhere then then it is very possible.

Yes, I agree, however I would then ask, what is the point ? THe species is gone, and it will require at least a few dozen individuals to be cloned in order to create a viaable breeding population. Even though it will be disasterously poor in diversity.
It would make a good news story, but I doubt it would be worth little else considering the costs involved. Money that could probably be better spent elsewhere.

QUOTE The difference between convention breeding (what they've done for hundres of years) and GM foods is GM food have their DNA altered through genetic engineering NOT breeding. So it's different and has only started in the late 20th century.

True enough. I only mentioned it to point out that humans have been modifying animals to fit our needs for many many years now. However as you breed for certain traits it becomes possible to see problems beginning, and take steps to combat them. When you insert or tinker with genes the changes are immediate and can have unforseen results. It is faster but carries more risk. Also, consider if your GM plant dies, it is money flushed down the toilet. But breeding means an entire population moves towards the goal, not just one individual.

QUOTE If we have problems predicting the change of one gene. How is making an entire organism going to be simpler? If we're messing with a whole genome there are bound to be unpredictable effects. I believe the current problems of genetically modified bacteria will only be exacerbated if we started making new organisms.
I agree with you there. All I meant was that an inserted gene may have unforseen effect on other native genes, or vise-versa. But in an engineered organism you would expect that ALL of the used genes are well understood. THis is of course, a stage that we have not yet reached.
However, we are making progress. The number of genes discovered, and their functions and workings being determined have been growing exponentially each passing year. We already sequenced the entire human genome, how we just need to figure out where each gene is and what it does and why. . . . Kind of a scary thought actually.

QUOTE Hmm perhaps we should carry on this discussion in a separate thread. At the moment it isn't really relevant to cloning (as interesting as it is). Why don't you open a separate thread on this topic and make the points you listed?
wink.gif

Be my guest, I'll follow you to a new thread if you like.

QUOTE (Saigo_no_gakusha @ Aug 19 2008, 08:09 PM) LOL, we already have. Look again at the posting about the bacteria that "glowed blue", well, its' genome was created entirely in a test tube using a process called PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) using overlapping custom written RNA primers, if you know what I am talking about.
alright, I don't really have the time for a full-blown post at the moment, but I thought I'd just clarify that eys, I read the posting about the bacteria that glowed blue (I actually posted it). They didn't create that bacteria from scratch, they "simply" spliced in their own custom genome, however. Since it sounds like you're fairly familiar with this, I'm sure you're aware that a bacteria is not a genome; the genome is "just" crucial element in the bacteria (along with most everything else living nowadays.)

...I'll add more later! *yay!*

*sigh...*

speaking as a former microbiologist I'm not sure the term cloning is correct for what you seem to be talking about as the term "clone" is short for "colony" and refers to a colony of genetically identical cells. At this point in time we are not capable of this although we are slowly getting there it will be a fairly long time before we reach a point where we can create a clone of ANYTHING. We just dont have the technology to directly place a DNA or RNA seuqnce into an extisting strand yet so there will always be errors resulting in cells that are 99.9% accurate but are not technicially speaking "clones".

Science never ceases to amaze me... Yes, most people will give the politically correct answer "its wrong to clone!" but imagine how much easier it will be to supply food for 3rd world countries if we can just clone cows/chickens/etc. and have a massive amount of livestock on each farm throughout the entire world.... it is definitely something that i support... plus, its not "hurting" the animals by creating them in a lab. it could also help solve some degenerate problems.

You support it because you didn't think twice.

Do you really think that the lack of food in some countries of the Third World is caused by the lack of animals ? It's not a problem, really.
The problems are the lack of food for the animals, the lack of water for the animals, the heat, the political instability (and sometimes the sheer thuggery), the desertification... Cloning will not make magically disappear the need of feeding your cow.

Cloning could have some advantages (having better animals) for this problem, but also some pretty bad drawbacks (consanguinity...).

I would've thought that this thread would live again after the breakthroughs in stem cell research...

I'd like to add poverty to those reasons dalraida. Although there is an ample supply of food some people simply don't have enough money to spend.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back