do you know why

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

mohammed2006

-san
Kouhai
ok try to name a file or folder with the names( CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.)in your computer see what happen

you will find out that this file or folder you try to rename return bake to its original name automatically

even bilgates couldn't explained this odd phenomenon

you think you can?!

Mabey those are special words that cannot be used for naming or something. Just like in programming, when naming a variable, there are certain names that you cannot have like "else" or "if". But if these words should work, then I have no idea why you cant use them for naming.

Mabey it's some sort of bug in Windows. Do other operating systems have the same problem?

That's really interesting, it actually works.
blink.gif
Maybe they're forbidden names that may get in the way of an Windows or Linux OS, so it set itself a barrier to prevent such names. My explanation is probably the most illogical of them all though.
tongue.gif

Besides, what does this have to do with games (you did create it in the game section for a reason right?)?

QUOTE Besides, what does this have to do with games (you did create it in the game section for a reason right?)?

at first i didnt know that i wrote this topic in games section but when i find out i said they will move it anyway so why deleted and write it in General Discourse
tongue.gif

All of those names are reserved strings from back when DOS was made.

You can create them with some trick but they would be completely useless anyway...

Linux has a similar set of reserved strings but I don't believe they are the exact same ones.

They are device names: CON = console, PRN = printer, COM1 (etc) = comms port (ie. serial port), etc.

E.g. from a command prompt, type

echo hello world > myfile

"hello world" is output into a file called "myfile". But if you type

echo hello world > prn

it is output on your printer. Normally devices are distinguished by having a colon after them, e.g. C: for your hard disk, PRN: for printer etc, but for some reason DOS/Windows don't care and accept the names even without the ‘:’ which also means the names have to be reserved to avoid ambiguity. (However you can make a file called "C", but not "C:" (etc), as drive letters are one exception where the colon is actually enforced).

Cool,Hiroyuki-dono and Harukalover-sempai really knows lots of things.
biggrin.gif
According to mohammed2006-san,Bill Gates couldn't explain this...
rolleyes.gif

Super billionair:0
HiroyukiXHarukalover:1
tongue.gif

I'm always a noobnewbie in computer related stuff by the way..
tongue.gif

Yes, but it's just sad not to be able to name files/directories that name.
This isn't odd, it's just Gates' way to program something just meant for money like there are people doing stuff for fame. (try to find out what i mean...)
It's just to windows code that's basicly a big error. Hence it's called 'windows'. He was probably thinking about making money while staring outside of the window and playing with toy cars........
So basicly, you ought to find weird things in something that has just been created as a commercial tool.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back