Dragonball Series

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

InuyashaX

-Hokage
Kouhai
Strangely enough I didnt find any retro thread for Dragonball lols

Well I started this so that we can have discussions on one of the most legendary action/fighting animes ever and probably one of the first animes we ever watched and grew up with.

I got some questions:

1. I heard Mystic Gohan is more powerful than SSJ 3 Goku and SSJ 3 Gotenks. Some have said his power far surpasses them and he is regarded the 2nd most powerful being in the DBZ universe runner up to Super Vegeto. So I guess Goku would have been killed had Super Buu not lost Gohan, Picolo, Gotenks. So does this mean Gohan is stronger than Goku? Your thoughts?

2. How much more powerful was King Cold? People have said hes no more stronger than Frieza, this would be strange since hes his father (should have at leats double the power).

3. How much more powerful is SSJ 4 compared to SSJ 3?

4. Many people have a misconception saying Gohan defeated Cell all on his own, this is not true, though his friends were helping him attack Cells energy beam they all got blown away and Gohan was nearing death. But with the help from Gokus encouragement and the fact that Vegeta distracted Cell by throwing an energy beam at him from behind, Gohan was able to get Cell off guard and kill him. So I guess Vegeta also contributed a lot though mind you its his fault Gohan lost 1 of his arms. If he had both he may have done a more poweful Kame Hame Ha.

5. When he first met Goku, was future Trunks weaker than him? Or did he simply hold back when he sparred with Goku.

6. SSJ 4 Gogeta is the strongest begin in entire DB universe right?

7. Why didnt SSJ 3 Goku kill Buu when he had the chance (I think I remember him saying he purposly held back in order to let his son kill him)

8. Why didnt Goku use SSJ 3 when he fought Kid Buu in the final climatic battle?

9. The age old question, who was Goku Jrs father... We shall never know...

10. I know fans made Dragonball AF and Akira stated he wont be making a new DB series, but is there some hope for a spinoff revolving around the DB universe?

Well they just released a DBZ Movie 3 months ago.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6127

The next DB related project is that stupid live action movie going to theaters this year.

DB is long over. I mean how much farther can they go? Blow up the entire universe? The second big bang? lol?

You cant really have a spinoff on the DB Universe because its all related to "Power Levels" and would produce the same type of show. hence repetition.

The only thing I see left for DB is more movies that are unrelated to the actual plot of the actual series.

err, it wasnt a dbz movie 3. its more of an ova 30 mins long i think (they have a term for this but i cant remember - anime exclusively released on the internet). but i might be wrong.

watch it to get a sense of closure. you have to put this anime to rest and move on to some other great animes. hehehehe.

i notice that this forum doesnt discuss much about old animes unless theres some new stuff coming out... thats why you dont see any thread about this anime. most of the people here are interested in new animes. but i feel you man, sometimes you reminisce old animes... i do that from time to time. just play a dbz video game lol. like i do. (i always use mystic gohan my fav)

and in case you dont know, the live action of db is based on dragon ball only not dragon ball z. so you wont see any super saiyan here. its based on the first adventures of son goku when he was still young kind of... the first time goku met bulma... the adventures they did while searching the dragon balls... the training under master roshi... and the eventual face of of king piccolo, the father of piccolo in dbz. i think this live action is more like a remake of the live action of the asian dragon ball aloooooooooong time ago. i remember it alittle bit. lol.

have you seen the game version of dragonball movie... its even worst. lol.
mbl_023_copy1.jpg

mmr_015_copy1.jpg

anyways try watching bleach/hitman reborn... it has solid fights like dbz... or soul eater - it has nice fight scenes. for old animes try yuyu hakusho~

dbz should just stop there... i dont know why they even bother with db gt. lol.

I gave up watching the show as intently after the cell games. The whole buu saga just never lived up to the cell games and thus I started to lose interest at that point. I can't even remember how far I got. The farthest I can remember is Vegeta+Goku fusion fighting Kid Buu. Cell Games were so dam good though.

Watched about 3 episodes of GT, had absolutely no freaking clue about what was going on and didn't bother looking into it. I guess that happens too when GT is the only series of Dragonball not directly based on the manga.

Well they can be a reboot for the Dragonball series. Start over from the beginning with a whole new story, it can revolve around the same universe and have the same characters but portray the story in a new way. Imagine Dragonball with better animation, more realistic fights other than those blinking ones whom you cant even see them and a weaker group of heroes and villains who cant destroy a planet lols I think DBZ got too unreal at times, the original Dragonball was flawless, if they can make DBZ like DB theyd have sealed the cake.

GT yes was a disaster and so will the DB live action film.

Also was that OVA simple a reunion of Goku and his friends? If so I saw it, was great lols

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 27 2009, 05:00 AM)

1. I heard Mystic Gohan is more powerful than SSJ 3 Goku and SSJ 3 Gotenks. Some have said his power far surpasses them and he is regarded the 2nd most powerful being in the DBZ universe runner up to Super Vegeto. So I guess Goku would have been killed had Super Buu not lost Gohan, Picolo, Gotenks. So does this mean Gohan is stronger than Goku? Your thoughts?

2. How much more powerful was King Cold? People have said hes no more stronger than Frieza, this would be strange since hes his father (should have at leats double the power).

4. Many people have a misconception saying Gohan defeated Cell all on his own, this is not true, though his friends were helping him attack Cells energy beam they all got blown away and Gohan was nearing death. But with the help from Gokus encouragement and the fact that Vegeta distracted Cell by throwing an energy beam at him from behind, Gohan was able to get Cell off guard and kill him. So I guess Vegeta also contributed a lot though mind you its his fault Gohan lost 1 of his arms. If he had both he may have done a more poweful Kame Hame Ha.

5. When he first met Goku, was future Trunks weaker than him? Or did he simply hold back when he sparred with Goku.

7. Why didnt SSJ 3 Goku kill Buu when he had the chance (I think I remember him saying he purposly held back in order to let his son kill him)

8. Why didnt Goku use SSJ 3 when he fought Kid Buu in the final climatic battle?

10. I know fans made Dragonball AF and Akira stated he wont be making a new DB series, but is there some hope for a spinoff revolving around the DB universe?
1. Perosnally i dont think he was that strong, but if we go off comparisson she was, since Buu admited that he was Toying with Gotenks since he could feel Gohans power growing, so he is clearly straonger than SS3 Gotenks, as for SS3 Goku i dont think we will know since it turned out Goku was tring agains Majin Buu kinda and since Goku never fought Kid you can make and accurate comparison.

2. Yeah i was expecting King COld to put up a fight, but SSJ GOku thrashed Friza so that would make Trunks far stronger than Frieza, so onto KCs power i wouldnt say double but far stonger than Frieza, but Trunks still dealt with KC as oif he was nothjing.

3. Blashphemous and just worng comparing Anime to FIller is wrong!

4. Gohan didnt do it on his own, not a chance It was all VEGETA!!!!!!!

5. Id say the same since i believe neither we trying, just a friendly sparing match.

6. Again Blasphemous Filler Universe to Manga Universe is WRONG!!!!!!

7. He onpenly said that he wwant the next genration to save the world for a chance, not specifily Gohan but the next generation. SOmething which ive always found just down right stupid, the planet could be destroyed i can save it but i dont think i will since i want to see IF the young people can do it?! WTF

8. I did know this but cant rmember

9. Havnt got the foggiest

10. Id rather just stick with DB and DBZ and no more, it will just harm it

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Jan 27 2009, 04:49 PM) 9. Havnt got the foggiest

Bardock I guess.

DB GT for a filler wasn't half a$$ that bad. Tho they squeezed to much plotline in 64 episodes ... At least the music was pretty nice.

If I recalled correctly the DBGT in America differed greatly from the DBGT in Japan? Like it was crunched and summarized or something?

The OVA recently released was about Vegeta's little brother and how Goten and Trunks assisted him in defeating the tyrants of Vegeta's little bro's home planet.

It was pretty comical, not really a serious "OVA".

Man that Live Action DB Game looks so BAD! God thats horrible.

DBZ was amazing all the way up the Cell Games then it dragged a bit from there, Buu Saga was okay.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 26 2009, 10:00 PM) Strangely enough I didnt find any retro thread for Dragonball lols

Well I started this so that we can have discussions on one of the most legendary action/fighting animes ever and probably one of the first animes we ever watched and grew up with.

I got some questions:

1. I'd have to say yes, considering ssj3 goku was struggling against the normal fat buu, and although he said he could've beaten him it would still have been a close fight, so thats where i say the difference in strength shows; and gotenks was an obvious give away

2. I belive King Cold was weak sauce, and most likely weaker than frieza (not by much but indeed weaker) considering frieze was considered the strongest in the universe

3. no clue, just add a few 0s to whatever power level ssj3 has
unsure.gif

4. hmmm... the thing about this is, Gohan could have beaten cell on his own but didn't in the end, he was down an arm for one; and wasted some energy fighting cell the first time... but lets ignore that first round, fact is had vegeta not needed saving he wouldn't have taken the damage from that blast... Cell knew that so thats why he aimed for one of his friends... anyway in the end he did need help under the circumstances but he was more than capable of beating him 1 on 1 had the whole gang just stayed home

5. he was weaker, he only got to a decent strength after the time chamber training

6. ermm...
dry.gif

7. some dumb reason like "this isn't my battle, but one for the next generation" or something; the usual nonesense

8. i'd have to rewatch it, but i think he didn't have the energy to go ssj3 because he spent so much of it saving ppl inside buu

ph34r.gif

10. No More Dragonball Please.

Yea as much as I'd love to just forget about GT, I cant lols when fans constantly reference it... Anyways, in hell, dont you think Pikon was overrated and Cell/Frieze were extremly underated? I mean didnt Frieza learn his lesson from before, sending the Ginu force at Goku??? He beat them in non SSJ form what makes him think he cant beat them now lols

Also Cell got pwned with like 1 or 2 hits, I highly doubt hed go down that easily. How did a random guy like Pikon get so strong lols If Cell wasnt caught off guard and was fully powered up and preapared I think he woulda put up an intense fight.

Also in the future, why didnt Gohan and Trunks go into hiding and train in the hyperbolic time chamber? They could of spent a few days, powered up to SSJ 2 and pwned Androids 18 and 17. Was the chamber destroyed?

And isnt there an infinite amount of Super Saiyan levels? A Saiyans power always increases and if they have eternal life somehow they could probably eventually train up and achieve SSJ 100 or something lols

What keeps my buggin' is the fact that no one else except for Saiyans we know from DBZ and Brolly had ever gone into SSJ mode. What was so special about these few particular Saiyans.. I have to blunt idea. There were so many of them on Vejiita and yet no one had ever even tried to jump over the SSJ level o_O.

I suspect tho, that it's all because of the fact that Frieza was the ultimate enemy for all the Saiyans, and the author wanted to finish the story with the destruction of Namek, Vegeta death, Goku being SSJ and Frieza smelling flowers from beneath... Still, it's kind of unfinished and unsaid in this aspect imho.

QUOTE (qrdel @ Jan 28 2009, 02:28 AM) What keeps my buggin' is the fact that no one else except for Saiyans we know from DBZ and Brolly had ever gone into SSJ mode. What was so special about these few particular Saiyans.. I have to blunt idea. There were so many of them on Vejiita and yet no one had ever even tried to jump over the SSJ level o_O.

I suspect tho, that it's all because of the fact that Frieza was the ultimate enemy for all the Saiyans, and the author wanted to finish the story with the destruction of Namek, Vegeta death, Goku being SSJ and Frieza smelling flowers from beneath... Still, it's kind of unfinished and unsaid in this aspect imho.
My hunch...

Saiyan evolution just didnt reach SSJ. Saiyan's of that time were not capable, it just so happen coincidentally the next generation was and the next generation after that were capable when they were only children. I bet the next generation after that they come out of the womb SSJ.

Makes no sense how kids with no battle experience went SSJ... Goku did all that training and battle experience from DB to DBZ to become SSJ, while his son passed him up at Goku's age in DB lol.

Yes makes no sense at all.

Erm, ok. I do agree in most parts BUT. We can assume that it was the fathers' genes that the children benefited from. Mind that Gohan took some long hours of training to reach SSJ, he was born far before his father even knew about the level. Goten, on the other hand, was born from... SSJ genes. Hence, we can say that he was able to achieve the same result faster.

The same goes for Trunks. Vegeta was very very close to being a SSJ when he... made Trunks
biggrin.gif
. Yet, this time around inconsistency arrives; Trunks from the future, even being in a remotely worse situation would take long years and the death of Gohan to transform for the first time >.<. So mr Akira, you messed up a bit
wink.gif

Heh, it's only anime
biggrin.gif
. Quite hilarious at times if you ask me
biggrin.gif
. So why not? What other explanation would you give?
tongue.gif

QUOTE (qrdel @ Jan 28 2009, 03:23 AM) Heh, it's only anime
biggrin.gif
. Quite hilarious at times if you ask me
biggrin.gif
. So why not? What other explanation would you give?
tongue.gif

Besides the one I said?

I guess they just BS the backstory of Saiyans. I did remember Vegeta said someone achieved SSJ LONG LONG AGO...

Hell nothing makes sense after Namek honestly, 5mins lasted how many episodes again?

And you think with so much power to the exponent then, til Cell Fight then Buu Fight I am AMAZED how Earth sustained its form. Youd figured the planet would blow up easy. But when an energy wave hits the earth it just makes a small crater huh? I didnt understand how Gohan's final attack on Cell went outer space, it should have circled the globe no? Its not like he was aiming up.

but hey its an Anime, and DBZ was Legendary.
biggrin.gif

Heh, the output was superB, so the string of kameha didn't undergo the laws of gravity and went on straight ahead
biggrin.gif

Well, true enough that I remember Piccolo sr saying that his attacks can destroy Earth whilst all DBZ saga ate his attacks for breakfast and it was Buu and only Buu who destoyed the planet ;d.

QUOTE (qrdel @ Jan 28 2009, 11:18 AM) Buu and only Buu who destoyed the planet ;d.
Yes but Buu was the only person using an attack actually INTENDED to destroy the earth, so thats one reason im guessing, no one else tried to actualy make it go boom
smile.gif

I think the Earth could hav easily been destroyed any time, however all the Z fighters made sure to never release such a destructive energy blast so carelessly, they must have had some control on whether they want it to explode or simply go straight thru the planet causing no harm.

As for Trunks as a child being able to reach SS compared to future Trunks taking a much longer time. The reason for this is that with the deaths of all the Z fighters including his father Vegeta, Trunks was mentorless, his father didnt train him sadly and he was left alone along with Gohan to train. If I remember, Trunks achieved SS while training with his father or was it before? Well even so, with the loss of all Z fighters Trunks lost hope in himself to grow strong, he simply wanted to obtain power for revenge, like Vegeta, this is why it took Vegeta so long to achieve SS, when he said "I DONT CARE ANYMORE" Vegeta turned SS. When Trunks was a child he had nothing to be angry about and simply became SS naturally like Goku. He got to SS very fast along with Gotenks cause their fathers had already achieved SS and they had no evil desires to want to turn into SS.

In the beginning, there was a being able to reach SS before Goku, but only in Ape form. Goku simply was the luck of the draw, he grew up on Earth, was trained by master Gohan, Roshi, and all the other Z fighters. Goku achieved SS cause he had a pure heart, unlike Vegeta. Thats why he got SS and why no other Saiyan achieved it.

QUOTE (Prideless @ Jan 28 2009, 02:34 AM) My hunch...

Saiyan evolution just didnt reach SSJ. Saiyan's of that time were not capable, it just so happen coincidentally the next generation was and the next generation after that were capable when they were only children. I bet the next generation after that they come out of the womb SSJ.

Makes no sense how kids with no battle experience went SSJ... Goku did all that training and battle experience from DB to DBZ to become SSJ, while his son passed him up at Goku's age in DB lol.

Yes makes no sense at all.
Actually you can think of it this way...

Goten and Trunks so easily became SSJ because their mothers became pregnant with them AFTER Goku and Vegeta became SSJ, while Gohan had to earn it through good old hard training and instruction from this dad, because Goku wasn't a SSJ yet when chichi had him. So it's something to do with the genes being carried over I guess.

Edit: oops didn't read qrdel's post before replying...apparently he said almost the same thing as I did lol

Anyway, originally SSJ was supposed to be a legend among Seiyan race, but of course by the time of Cell Game, we got ourselves a 4-man Super Saiyan sentai lol
I guess it's to do with the principle of the "1st one is always the hardest to make, but after it was made, more can be produced/replicated since the method was known".

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 28 2009, 09:18 AM) As for Trunks as a child being able to reach SS compared to future Trunks taking a much longer time. The reason for this is that with the deaths of all the Z fighters including his father Vegeta, Trunks was mentorless, his father didnt train him sadly and he was left alone along with Gohan to train. If I remember, Trunks achieved SS while training with his father or was it before? Well even so, with the loss of all Z fighters Trunks lost hope in himself to grow strong, he simply wanted to obtain power for revenge, like Vegeta
Actually future Trunks achieved SSJ under the same condition as Goku- the death of their best friend. Future Trunks trained very hard to try to become SSJ, but it just didn't go smoothly. It was when he discovered the corpse of Gohan lying among the ruins, that he reached the maximum point of anger combine with sadness together, and finally became SSJ.

QUOTE (AnimeWiz07 @ Jan 27 2009, 11:11 AM) 4. hmmm... the thing about this is, Gohan could have beaten cell on his own but didn't in the end, he was down an arm for one; and wasted some energy fighting cell the first time... but lets ignore that first round, fact is had vegeta not needed saving he wouldn't have taken the damage from that blast... Cell knew that so thats why he aimed for one of his friends... anyway in the end he did need help under the circumstances but he was more than capable of beating him 1 on 1 had the whole gang just stayed home
Actually it wasn't really planned. Cell killed Trunks to set an example, and because Trunks got killed, Vegeta lost it and gone rampage on Cell even though he know very well he couldn't win (it was the case of emotion over logic).

Also another point you forgotten about...Cell did become 'SSJ2' level, as powerful as SSJ2 Gohan after his self-destruction and regeneration (because of the Saiyan gene of becoming more powerful after recovering from near death experience kicked in). They would had been evenly matched, but like you said, Gohan was in the disadvantage of lower stamina. So yes it was indeed luck more than anything along with Vegeta's distraction that they managed to beat the 'SSJ2' Cell.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back