Drama or Live Action Recommendation

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jun 21 2008, 02:18 PM)I just finished off Bambino!, it was a light dorama and definitely not my type of genre. The first few episodes were pretty sloppy but it gradually picked up drama wise and got to a decent level. It was kinda boring and predictable. Not much romance, not much comedy, which gave me a general negative view towards this dorama but when the actual tension within the drama picked up, you become to appreciate it.
wink.gif

Anyways, Poonk, I think you should try Bambino!, you might like it more than me, just don't expect too much.
rolleyes.gif
I actually did start this a few days ago-- I'm throwing it onto my iPod and watching it on break at work. I'm up to ep03 and it's... enjoyable enough. The first few eps were mainly Ban being "cut down to size" by his new coworkers, but now that they've got his ego in check, I'm looking forward to learning about the other characters. Interesting that you say there's not much romance-- I was actually hoping he was going to break up with his hometown girlfriend and go for "that one girl" (whose name escapes me). Oh well! Anyway, overall I think Bambino! is just fine (and strangely appropriate) for a lunch-break drama-- although whatever I'm eating never even compares to what they're serving, sadly enough.

On a side note: I was pleasantly surprised to see that Kitamura Kazuki (as Yonamine, the "capo cameriere") cleans up pretty nice (I've only really seen him in Akihabara@Deep as the lollipop-sucking quasi-villainous Nakagomi, and a small role in Galileo).

Oh, and JCD-- thanks for bringing Stand Up!! back to my attention. I had been sitting on the first 6 eps for about 2 years but I'd read somewhere that it was "like a Japanese version of the 'American Pie' movies" (which did not interest me) so I never watched it or finished DLing it. But last week I found myself with nothing to watch (I'm watching more older dramas now and the torrents for those are slooooow) and I remembered your recommendation so I checked it out. And I actually really enjoyed it. The fan-service elements, mostly involving Mochizuki-sensei in a bra/bikini or Asai's detours into fantasy-land, were not overdone (plus I feel I can't complain, having just finished Beach Boys
tongue.gif
). All 4 boys are very sweet, likeable characters (and wow, I like Oguri Shun so much more in this, as the excitable Kou-kun, than as the sullen Sato in Hana-Kimi), and Chie-chan is wonderful as a "real-girl," to provide a contrast to their fantasies. I've just finished ep06, wherein Kenken tells Asai of his intent to ask Chie out -- so now I'm just waiting for the torrents to finish on the last 5 eps.

QUOTE (poonk @ Jun 26 2008, 05:13 PM) I've just finished ep06, wherein Kenken tells Asai of his intent to ask Chie out -- so now I'm just waiting for the torrents to finish on the last 5 eps.
Poonk, you can download the rest of the episodes of Stand Up!! much faster at http://www.lolipower.org/.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jun 26 2008, 03:54 PM)http://www.lolipower.org/Too bad-- I can't access the page, as I'm using Internet Explorer. Thanks anyway!

EDIT:

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jun 21 2008, 02:18 PM)On the other hand, Long Vacation, the dorama I finished before starting Bambino! was magnificent.......a very good dorama.
biggrin.gif
I just now read the description for Long Vacation at d-addicts and promptly threw the torrents into my line-up. It sounds like it would be right up my alley! I hear drama fans mention Kimura Takuya all the time and yet, as many J-dramas as I've seen, I've never seen a single KimuTaku series-- how did that happen?
huh.gif

Well hello guys but i'm searching for some comedy doramas alike MyBoss My Hero.... i want something uber funny...lol coz i already watched the series 10 times over and over and i think its time for me to move on to another series...lol ill await ure responses xD

mod note: merged with thread

Well Ive never seen any japanese drama tv series in my life.
So I dunno what they have in store for me.

Now to the point..Today I was wondering if anyone could recommend any Jdrama tv series
that would be similar to Lost, Dexter, Desperate HouseWives...well you get the point.
Anything with an edge.

Plz no comedy...its really hard for me to find one that makes me laugh till my stomach hurts...but if there's anything like Will & Grace then let me know

Many thanks!!!

I just finished watching the K-Drama, The Devil (Mawang) (The Devil - Drama-WIKI Link). Thanx to Monsta, I was able to watch this series.

Okay....hold on...."THIS IS THE BEST DRAMA I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!".
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif

Seriously, this series was amazing, it had some flaws but everything else about it made me fall in love with it. I don't think the Japanese re-make of this series, Maou, will be able to top the original. The original was executed very well, I hoped for more deaths. The ending was a bit confusing, I was actually hoping to see a bit more.......ahhhhhhh....I'm confused.

Overall, its brillant and I really really want to discuss this series with someone.
rolleyes.gif

I might make a thread for this in the next few days.
biggrin.gif

ok, I'm in the need of a good series again.
So far I've seen Gokusen1,2,3 stand up and Life (it's not much, but it did take me a while)
So preferably Japanese, and with good humor.
Anyone?

QUOTE (Noshi @ Nov 14 2008, 03:16 PM) ok, I'm in the need of a good series again.
So far I've seen Gokusen1,2,3 stand up and Life (it's not much, but it did take me a while)
So preferably Japanese, and with good humor.
Anyone?
Noshiii....its been awhile...actually it is really rare that i see the drama forum (well i still prefer anime over drama
happy.gif
) . actually, the only drama that I watched fit your request perfectly. try proposal daisakusen. I was got recommended to watch that too.. lol

whoa jul10 o___O you should post more! lol ^^
daisakusen... haven't heard of that one yet. I usually see the same titles over and over again, but I'll give this one a try and download it tomorrow ^^
and yes I prefer anime too, but sometimes I want to watch episodes longer than 20 minutes and shorter than a whole movie XD

jul10's said: lol then go watch two eps of anime..rawr...

For Japanese comedies I always end up recommending Kisarazu Cat's Eye (sorry, couldn't make a DramaWiki link), Jikou Keisatsu (Time Limit Police), Tiger & Dragon, My Boss My Hero, and IWGP (Ikebukuro West Gate Park) (the latter 3 starring Nagase Tomoya, who is a pretty good comedic actor, IMO). Perhaps some of these are the same titles you see "over & over again"? (If not, can I ask what they were? Because I could use a good comedy myself.) I can think of many more series that are pretty funny but are (in my opinion) primarily some other genre (such as Romance, Mystery, or capital-D Drama, etc.), so I won't go on a listing spree with those.

P.S. You actually made it through Gokusen 3, huh? I salute you for that, as I barely finished the first episode. Did it get better?

Hahaha yeah I dragged myself through all three seasons and I must say, the first season is worth most to be watched. After that season it's the same concepts over and over again just with different actors. Her "me? I'm their homeroom teacher, please hand over my cute students" when her students get beaten to pulp by a random gang and she is about to kick their asses really got on my nerves xD

The names I keep seeing is Nobuta wo produce, Hana yori dango, hanazakari no kimitachi e, akihabara @ deep . Not all comedy though. but I'm slow with downloading/watching drama as I don't do it very often.

I'll give a shot at my boss my hero too I guess.

Tazza: The High Rollers <---- anybody saw this movie. its a gambling movie. its based on a comic. its at youtube. the whole movie. and so far i am liking it. it reminds me of akagi/kaiji/kurosagi kind of. theres also a kdrama base on this movie.

i highly recommend it. the story is really good. if your looking for something different, check this out. worth a look.

i heard old boy is being adapted to a hollywood movie by spielberg. i just remembered. old news though.

Plot: tazza
Go-nee has lost his entire savings, saved over a period of 5 years, at a gambling joint. While Go-nee drinks heavily, determined to throw away his life, he discovers that he was swindled by professional fraudulent gamblers, so-called ‘slickers’. To regain his money, Go-nee begins training to be the best slicker under a master of gambling, Mr. Pyeong. Go-nee becomes famous, wandering about different gambling places throughout the country with Pyeong. Moreover, Madam Jung who has never gotten along with Mr. Pyeong, begins to show interest in Go-nee…

Ahh finally I found the Dorama haven,let me say that I'm just green newbie in the dorama genre and that my first (I still didn't finish it yet)drama that opened my eyes to Drama is "Hanazakari no kimi tachi e"I'm stilll in episode 7 but hell yeah I'm enjoying it
laugh.gif
!!!The acting isnt so bad at all (in fact I was surprised to find out that the interaction between the characters feelt so normal yet not stiff at all).
Now I'm coming here seeking advice and recommandation for some nice J-Drama...some piqued my interest like "Liar game" but wanna hear about some of the best Dorama you watched JCDRANZER and poonk!

QUOTE (hamzaxxx @ Jan 12 2009, 07:21 PM)Now I'm coming here seeking advice and recommandation for some nice J-Drama...some piqued my interest like "Liar game" but wanna hear about some of the best Dorama you watched JCDRANZER and poonk!You didn't really ask for my opinion but I thought Liar Game was great. It has sort of a death note feel to it and (though a bit contrived) contained fairly realistic emotions and reactions.

If you find you like Liar Game then try Galileo. If you have watched the show Numbers that airs in the US then you will feel right at home with Galileo.

Hana Yori Dango was also very good. It has a similar feel to it as Hanazakari and I highly recommend it.

IWGP as Poonk says is very good and stars an actor that shines no matter what role he is cast into (at least the ones I've seen so far).

QUOTE (langes01x @ Jan 12 2009, 08:30 PM) You didn't really ask for my opinion but I thought Liar Game was great. It has sort of a death note feel to it and (though a bit contrived) contained fairly realistic emotions and reactions.

If you find you like Liar Game then try Galileo. If you have watched the show Numbers that airs in the US then you will feel right at home with Galileo.

Hana Yori Dango was also very good. It has a similar feel to it as Hanazakari and I highly recommend it.

IWGP as Poonk says is very good and stars an actor that shines no matter what role he is cast into (at least the ones I've seen so far).
Thanks for your advice langes01x and your opinion is quite appreciated too
smile.gif
!
Just downloaded the first episode of Liar game and about to watch it and begun downloading the first episode of IWGP heeding your advice.
As for Hana Yori Dango,I have some mixed feelings about it because I've watched and readen all of the anime and manga (and quite a big fan of it......Go doumyouji!!!) so I don't know if the real actors would truly show the true feeling I've sensed and enjoyed through all of the manga....But oh well might give it a try too
wink.gif
!

I'm looking for a new drama to pick up, anyone have suggestions?

I've so far watched One Litre of Tears, Zettai Kareshi, Smiling Pasta, and what has been subbed of Osen (which is still my favourite). I'm actually interested in watching something Korean, but can be any Asian drama.

I also tend to like characters/shows that involve cooking. And preferably something kind of light and fun, good way to relax between writing exams
wink.gif

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Apr 04 2009, 05:30 PM) I'm looking for a new drama to pick up, anyone have suggestions?

I've so far watched One Litre of Tears, Zettai Kareshi, Smiling Pasta, and what has been subbed of Osen (which is still my favourite). I'm actually interested in watching something Korean, but can be any Asian drama.

I also tend to like characters/shows that involve cooking. And preferably something kind of light and fun, good way to relax between writing exams
wink.gif

You might want to take a peek of the new Boys Over Flowers Korean version. You might like that. Also, Akai Ito and Koizora are good ones.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Apr 04 2009, 05:30 PM)I'm looking for a new drama to pick up, anyone have suggestions?
wink.gif
Osen actually has been finished-- eitokickass has subbed all of it (if you join Live Journal's Asian Dorama group, it's available on this page; and if you haven't joined LJ yet, do so! I followed JCD's advice and joined up and never looked back. Even if you never make any entries in your journal - like me - it's a great source for dramas & movies).

Korean dramas, eh? Well, my personal favorites so far are Miss Kim's Adventure in Making a Million, Snow White, My Name is Kim Sam Soon, What's Up Fox?, Dal Ja's Spring, and 9 End 2 Outs. I'm a big sucker for romantic comedies where the 2 leads bicker & banter a lot, so that's what you'll find in those. As for cooking... the male lead in Witch Yoo Hee (a.k.a. Witch Amusement) is a chef-in-training so it has a lot of cooking references (though that's not its emphasis); however, I found that series to be kind of uneven in general (the middle kind of dragged, IMO) so i can't whole-heartedly recommend it, although I did like it for the most part.

Otherwise... I've watched sooo many series since I last posted in here, I can barely remember. But just this last week I've finished up Voice (about forensic science students, funny and touching at the same time); Battery (teenage baseball drama chock-full of blatant BL subtext); and Mei-chan no Shitsuji (which occupies that absolutely-ridiculous-fun part of my heart a la Hana-Kimi, although I don't think it's as funny as H-K was. But, Mizushima Hiro in a butler's uniform-- who can argue with that?). Also watching Love Shuffle (waiting for subs to finish), which is pretty amusing, and just starting to tuck into Tenchijin (though we'll see if I make it through all 47 episodes of this taiga drama [NHK historical drama]).

P.S. Have you seen Antique, the Korean live-action movie adaption of the Fumi Yoshinaga manga? It's really quite excellent, not to mention 100x truer to the manga than the Japanese live action drama adaptation ever was.

QUOTE (poonk @ Apr 08 2009, 01:22 AM) Osen actually has been finished-- eitokickass has subbed all of it (if you join Live Journal's Asian Dorama group, it's available on this page; and if you haven't joined LJ yet, do so! I followed JCD's advice and joined up and never looked back. Even if you never make any entries in your journal - like me - it's a great source for dramas & movies).
! That is awesome news. I've been on LJ for years (am ashamed to admit how often I update
tongue.gif
) but for some reason never keep DDL comms on my flist. I will definitely be downloading the rest of Osen now, thank you!

I'd actually once tried to download What's Up Fox? but the torrents never connected. And the Korean version of Antique has been sitting on the "to do" list since I heard it was good.

You've both given me some good titles to look through! Now I just need the time to pick and download one
laugh.gif
Thanks!

stars_lover_ost-300x300.jpg

omg!!! i am falling in love with this new kdrama called star's lover. its a cute story. it's about a famous actress falling in love with a regular guy. its kinda like notting hill (julia roberts/hugh grant). if you love this type of movie check it out.

im always a fan of these fairytale type love story.

i like the mood of the drama. its always sad/lonely for some reason, but its really nice, they capture it sooo perfectly. i dont like sad kdrama sooo much cause its depressing but this one is good. its not depressing at all...

ssssh!tttt this drama is worth watching!!!
smile.gif
i am loving it every episode. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~ its so damn good imo. im soooo happy i found this kdrama. its sooo much better than the kdrama full house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

also for those who havent seen coffee prince, check that one too. its a funny kdrama about a girl posing as a guy to work in a coffee shop. the manager aka love interest fallls in love with this guy (who is really a girl) and starts to doubt his sexuallity. he's really bothered that he may be gay. lol. its a funny darma.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@chiisai_hana: check out the kdrama gourmet also known as best chef... its an ok drama, saw it only half of the series since its not finished yet last time i check. its good... lots of delicious looking food. and easy to watch. korean bbq kal-bi yum yum~

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back