Gantz

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
New chapter is out. Finally looks like there organised themselves into guerilla cells. Although, the fact that Gantz cant resurrect people anymore means a true slaughter is at hand. Nishi's nervousness at that fact just made me laugh. At the end of the day he is just a scared little kid. I do agree with Nishi that if the American knew the weakpoint of the ships, they should have atleast find that out. I just found it hilarious how Nishi's just said I hate you all, he is so scared of dying.

It became clear a long time ago that Oku has a poor opinion of Americans but even I dont think Americans would be so ignorant enough to mistake japanese for chinese people. I like the fact that USA isnt completely down and out, their own teams are making a counterattack.

As for Kei (one). Well no wonder that Izumi looking alien was looking intensely at him. Even though Kei is a national enemy, I dont think anything could make him feel worst then knowing that all along he has been slaughtering peaceful alien immigrants.

This manga has really taken a turn for the worse.

I just read it out of habit. There is nothing fun about it. It feels it just goes around in circles and they haven't accomplished anything in the past 20 chapters besides screaming Tae or Key-chan and killing off characters.

QUOTE (Repede @ Mar 11 2012, 11:38 PM) This manga has really taken a turn for the worse.

I just read it out of habit. There is nothing fun about it. It feels it just goes around in circles and they haven't accomplished anything in the past 20 chapters besides screaming Tae or Key-chan and killing off characters.
Sadly, I agree. Phase 3 started off really well but all this Tae running around naked became quite absurd. I just dont know where Oku is taking it anymore and there is no cynical sense of humour like in the first two phases.

Last chapter however was pretty cool with the giant mech fight and Sakurai appearing. Whether he is an apparition or real is anyone guess.

Hmm... I was much happier believing that Gantz was some absurd game and inherently meaningless.

For lack of a better analogy, the omnipotent alien was akin to the architect in reloaded. While I thought the Alien had fairly good explanations for what was going on, the whole reincarnation thing proves that Oku is hypocritical.

The alien saying there is no god but there is reincarnation (a tenet mainly stipulated by eastern religions) is pretty despicable in my opinion.

The whole manga had a subtext of there is no religion, anti-westernation etc etc, and I actually found it refreshing but all the subtle criticisms become undone when he seeks to do the same thing and promote his own values. Very disappointing.

It is also absurdly rich when the alien says there is no god but yet they are able to tap into the existential matrix and make copies or destroy the 21 grams of data scientist attribute to the human soul. Whether they do this through technology or their own power, that ability is what you would attribute to god.

I think what the aliens meant on there being no god, they meant it in the sense that their god didn't exist. The reincarnation might of have been a misinterpretation. They were probably regarding it to the whole " energy never ceases,just transfers"

QUOTE (rigoton @ Oct 27 2012, 10:01 AM) I think what the aliens meant on there being no god, they meant it in the sense that their god didn't exist.
At a stretch it may be some absurd situation where they do not realise they are god. Even though they are just another alien race, they should be aware that the power they possess, such as being able to revive the dead is what human would look and refer to as being god.

QUOTE They were probably regarding it to the whole " energy never ceases,just transfers"

You will have to further elaborate. That is exactly what reincarnation is. Life as in energy transferring to another vessel.

In further analysis - a lifestream theory?

At any rate, I really fancied most of Gantz up until the second phase of invasion began. I could kinda overcome some ridiculous elements of chara development, Kei-Tae forced romance and the general obscurity of the series but the current chapters are just no-go.
Despite being flawed and possibly rather shallow as a character, I really enjoyed Reika. Seeing her die to protect Kei II and then revived to be splintered again like a pig is just too much, and clearly the writer lost the point at which he was aiming the manga. I don't know what it is anymore and would've prefered if it was a wicked dream of Kei's or even some sort of TV-survival-show, as the possible explanation for Gantz technology etc. but this? This is just plain stupid and extremely forced. This being said, most of my favs are now clearing the mud - Berserk will not finish before the end of our civilization, it's clear to me now; Bleach is on killing spree and Narutard forfeit Sasuke-theManWithEyesAndPlotNoJutsu for blatant story of another Uchiha losing his beloved one and thus becoming vengeful bi@tch. D-Gray.Man is slow as hell, I cannot follow Claymore anymore and it's been a year or two since I couldn't catch up to Soul Eater. Officially, I think I'm fed up with a/m industry :/.

So Gantz is over. Phase 3 was an unmitigated disaster. But I have to half suspect that in a high concept sci-fi manga.

As bad as I think Phase 3 was... I will only remember the excellent and impeccable quality of the first two phases. What I really liked about Gantz, is it perfectly captured my sense of humour (even though this manga is not a comedy at all).

So many epic moments....but it was also very cathartic to read in its cynical/absurdist take on life.

No matter how bad I think phase 3 was, somehow I am still very thankful that a manga like this existed and at peace that it is over now.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back