General Games Discussion

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
aye voices do suxxor... but i sitll love th ebattle system.. those who don't like it usually havent played the game..

@spacepirate I hated the GC version of SC2. Mostly cause I play fast charas like Talim and the GC dosent react fast enough to pull off some of the combos I did on Ps2.. the reaction time is nowhere close to the ps2 version

Heh, that was shasla.
tongue.gif
Regardless, I play as Cassandra often, and I don't have much of a problem.

I never touched Viewtiful Joe on Kids mode... It's far too easy that way.
tongue.gif

Best rpg is Chrono trigger.
happy.gif
It may be old, but the well thought out comcept of time travel, an interesting story and the many endings makes it an example even for modern day rpgs.
wink.gif

I really want a console, but ill probably wait till next generation, my last was a nes.
laugh.gif

I have a gameboy.
happy.gif

What do you guys think of the psp and the ds?

chrono trigger is the best... of its time. it's still one of my favorites but i can't say it's the best of the present.
a lot of games have surpassed it already (obviously)

i want a ds so i can play the new aria of sorrow. when i first so the ds, i thought the design sucked. but when i tried it, it was actually comfortable.

and since im a fan of the ps, i want a psp. never seen one tho

Studan, do you really like the Dual shock as a controller!?! I think the sticks are far too inaccurate (probably why there arent many (any) very good FPS's on the Ps2).

About the DS and PSP, ive owned both for just over a month now, i can say the PSP is the most amazing thing ive had for a while (ill Get the latest Bleach from here in the morning, then watch it on the Tube to uni thanks to my PSP!). In Terms of games i find it very lacking at the moment, but i suppose that might change (a week ago a fafner game was released for it
blink.gif
).

The DS is somthing ill use a lot more for actually playing games, as opposed to the PSP which ill use to show off
tongue.gif
. The games are far more interesting( if graphically inferior), but i can see me using it longer over the next year, bring on advance wars is all i can say! (oh and Wi-Fi Mario Kart
smile.gif
)

NOTE: if anyone has a PSP, and is wondering why their square button does not work all the time, dont worry its not just your's its an actual design flaw which effect about 1% of all PSP's.

Neither the PSP or the DS have any killer apps yet... I've got Mario for the DS, and that's all... My brother also has Feel the Magic XX/XY, and that is pretty sweet. I've never been a big fan of WarioWare, so I'm still waiting for something good.
biggrin.gif

As for the PSP... I'll probably have to get Wipeout Pure... I loved Wipeout back in the day... But again, I'm waiting for some good, new games, for both systems.
tongue.gif
Although I certainly wouldn't mind if the Katamari Damacy and Viewtiful Joe rumors come to pass...

~ SP

@ salsha
I usually use the D-pad, and the ps2's version of Soulcalibur has more fps than the GC version... The ps2 as far as specs go is far superior to the GC.

Dun get me wrong I like my GC, especially Tales of Symponia, which I have beat 5 times and unlocked every single option in the game.

Also look at the reaction time between the GC and Ps2 as far as soul calibur goes. There are web sites that will tell you the reaction times in SC2 between the GC, PS2, and the Xbox, the PS2 wins. The dif is mear milliseconds and most ppl can't tlel the dif, but after playing it for a long time on the ps2 I can tell that Talim (Being a fast character whith no defence) Does not react to me doing reaction blocks (being the backbone of my defence) On the PS2 ive litterlly have had 4 minute rounds of nothing but the opponent and I sending each other into stumbles from blocking high or low at the second before a hit lands. I just can't seem to get that off on the Xbox or GC.

The only thing I have to argue baout the PS2 version is the hidden character... I like Tekken and all but I hate Haiachi(sp?)

QUOTE (TNT @ Feb 22 2005, 02:18 AM) Best rpg is Chrono trigger.
happy.gif
It may be old, but the well thought out comcept of time travel, an interesting story and the many endings makes it an example even for modern day rpgs.
wink.gif

Chrono trigger is indeed good.. Chrono Cross wasen't all that bad either, but I have to Agree with onimake that some games have surpassed this game... Tho It's one of the best games are far as replayability goes :) I can't think of an rpg out there today that has more replay value than Chrono trigger, since unless you really try, you don't get the same storyline twice... or if u played it over 100 times like most of us lol

QUOTE (Studan @ Feb 22 2005, 05:05 PM) @ salsha
I usually use the D-pad, and the ps2's version of Soulcalibur has more fps than the GC version... The ps2 as far as specs go is far superior to the GC.

Dun get me wrong I like my GC, especially Tales of Symponia, which I have beat 5 times and unlocked every single option in the game.

Also look at the reaction time between the GC and Ps2 as far as soul calibur goes. There are web sites that will tell you the reaction times in SC2 between the GC, PS2, and the Xbox, the PS2 wins. The dif is mear milliseconds and most ppl can't tlel the dif, but after playing it for a long time on the ps2 I can tell that Talim (Being a fast character whith no defence) Does not react to me doing reaction blocks (being the backbone of my defence) On the PS2 ive litterlly have had 4 minute rounds of nothing but the opponent and I sending each other into stumbles from blocking high or low at the second before a hit lands. I just can't seem to get that off on the Xbox or GC.

The only thing I have to argue baout the PS2 version is the hidden character... I like Tekken and all but I hate Haiachi(sp?)
D-pad for 3D game... your crazy man!! I dont want to start anything, if you prefer the Ps2 to GC then thats cool, however is a proven fact that the most copies have been sold on GC DESPITE it having the smallest user base of the 3 consoles its on. And the GC is Graphically more powerful than the Ps2, but its all about preference, make love not war man , no more console wars!
tongue.gif

Anyway with reguard to SC2 im disappointed that there was no siegfreid, i dont are what people say, hes totally different to Knightmare. Knightmare has a really different move set from Sigs', (for example the 3 vertical slashes from knigtmare, make a up up stright motion, but wit Sigs, its up up down, which also means you can 'flow' into different moves from the ground , traditionally a sweep, but what ever, with kinghtamare, your straight motion leaves with little choice but to do a horizontal slash) just little differences like that.

There is no war my friend, this is a forum, we discuss..

Once again tho I prefer the GC over PS2... I'm asian, and its known asian's prefer GC :p that was horrible I know

Once again I want to say I prefer SC2.. this is not about anything else SC2 and SC2 only, pls understand :)

And yes d-pad for 3-d game.. SC2 is made on 8 way run.. 8 directions can be moves, you cannot move any other directions besides 8, the D-pad is more than enough to work with that, and since the d-pad is also sensative to touch as the analog stick is, it works fine for me. Sides I am used to playing 2-d fighters and use the D-pad and rather dislike the Analog stick unless the game requires more than 2 degrees of sensativity (which is what the D-pad don the PS2 has.) Which SC2 dosen't have more than 2. With one exception

I prefer the D-pad on the 2-d fighter game Guilty-GearX2, on the Xbox, Which btw I have won first place at 3-cons with Jam.

To the GC, why do I prefer the GC on most everything else except SC2?

The GameCube has embedded 1T-SDRAM from MoSys giving the Gamecube superiority even to the Xbox as far as GPU effeciency goes. I do wish ATI would have input the design a programable T&L pipeline, but what's done is done.

Not to mention I love playing PSO1&2, baiten Kaitos.. ect ect.. I've said all this once allready I know

Pls understand that I am talking about SC2 and SC2 only... I thoguht I made that clear but I am sorry if I didn't.

(Edit) The GC has a much larger fanbase in Asia than ps2 or Xbox. All my Korean cousins own a gamecube, male and female alike. The sales In GC are also bigger than Xbox and Ps2 in Japan also

Its interesting becuase im a large 2D beat em up fan (greatest achievment, winning 5 games in a row in a Tokyo Arcade, at SC ), but SC is the only game i use an Analoge stick with, it must be a hangover from the Dreamcast Days i Recon. I recently bought one of those Hori Arcade Sticks for GC (SC design of course..), in an attempt to become more competitive in the arcades, buts its not working, i guess ill stick to DDR in arcades then
laugh.gif

hehe dreamcast *busts out Shenmue* it's been ahwile hasen't it? *twiddles thumbs patiently, waiting for Cherry Blossoms to fall

QUOTE (shasla @ Feb 22 2005, 06:35 PM) Its interesting becuase im a large 2D beat em up fan (greatest achievment, winning 5 games in a row in a Tokyo Arcade, at SC ), but SC is the only game i use an Analoge stick with, it must be a hangover from the Dreamcast Days i Recon. I recently bought one of those Hori Arcade Sticks for GC (SC design of course..), in an attempt to become more competitive in the arcades, buts its not working, i guess ill stick to DDR in arcades then
laugh.gif

I love those 2d beat em ups as well. But I only play on emulators because I dont have a console.
dry.gif

@ Studan I havent played that many modern day rpg's. I just know that I really love Chrono Trigger.

@ Spacepirate Agreed, neither the PSP nor the DS have anything realy special yet.
I cant wait for Advance wars DS.
laugh.gif
If its any good than itll be reason enough to buy a ds.

QUOTE (TNT @ Feb 23 2005, 02:00 AM) I love those 2d beat em ups as well. But I only play on emulators because I dont have a console.
dry.gif

Played Mugen yet? Great little program... (well it's got a few problems) It's a downloadable game in which ppl make their own characters to their liking and put them in the game. You start out with just the basic Mugen functions, but then you go search the web and look for chars to download and fight with in the game. I currently Have about 120 chars :) It's fun fighting Ryu from Street Fighter with Jam from Guilty Gear :)

My fav char on Mugen tho is a tiny searvebot that I swear is on crack. It moves so fast even when I am the player, I have a hard time trying to figure out what my Char is doing o_O hehe

Ha! Servebot rocks! He was one of my favorite characters in Marvel vs Capcom 2.
tongue.gif

To anyone that loves these 2D beat-em-ups, if you haven't played Viewtiful Joe, do so immediately.

I was also reminded recently of Ikaruga... I love these impossible-to-beat games; one of the few reasons I need to get an Xbox is to play Ninja Gaiden.
tongue.gif

~ SP

I was acctually suprised by the addictiveness of viewtiful joe... hate it.. but u can't put it down heh heh.. tho I haven't messed with the new one.. any good anybody?

Viewtiful Joe 2 is a marked improvement over the first game, if you can believe it.
tongue.gif
For the most part, it's more of the same, but there are more puzzles, more bosses, and is more cohesive in general. My only qualm is that I don't like one of the transformation phrases early in the game, but I think it is replaced by the point I'm at (Reel 5), so it's kind of a moot point.

I'd recommend at least renting it, if you've already played the first one (it's a direct sequel, so beating the first is recommended). I have it on 'cube.
~ SP

QUOTE (Studan @ Feb 23 2005, 12:41 PM) Played Mugen yet? Great little program... (well it's got a few problems) It's a downloadable game in which ppl make their own characters to their liking and put them in the game. You start out with just the basic Mugen functions, but then you go search the web and look for chars to download and fight with in the game. I currently Have about 120 chars :) It's fun fighting Ryu from Street Fighter with Jam from Guilty Gear :)

My fav char on Mugen tho is a tiny searvebot that I swear is on crack. It moves so fast even when I am the player, I have a hard time trying to figure out what my Char is doing o_O hehe
Servebot, from megaman legends.
happy.gif

I know Mugen, but ive never gotten it to work properly on my computer.
mad.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back