Ghost in the Shell ARISE: Alternative Architecture

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
It's hard to say an 'Asian' or even a 'Japanese' should've played the part when hardly any anime character looks that way! :lol:
It really comes down to the 'feel' of the character, which I didn't see in the preview... but the rest looked great, right? ;)
We really don't see much of the Major in the preview... and alot of it looks like weird CGI overlay... doesn't look right, but it may not be a finished product... as the CGI is usually done last, right? That's what I remember.

Angelina, Mila? No, but better perhaps.. but SJ looked good in "Lucy" when the drug took effect... but IMO that isn't right for the Major's character... there was a different feel to the character in the original manga... very 80s, but it changed in the last volume... not the Major we know recently, but closer... you can see the character changes reflect our changed society... more dystopian... 'end-times' etc..

Jodie/Sandra??? :eek: What is that? No way... unless they want to do a comedy? ^_^

The role is good for a reason, and it requires a certain type of actor that can do it right... express it as it is currently being displayed in the current films/animes... which can look different, but the feel of the character has to be there.... maybe the preview is a bad example of what the film will actually show us? It's possible, maybe it's still unfinished? When is the release date? The rest of the preview looked good and dark, so it's really hard to tell with that crappy CGI overlay, but the face of SJ that was shown didn't look 'right'.... IMHO... of course! :p

gdpetti said:
We really don't see much of the Major in the preview... and alot of it looks like weird CGI overlay... doesn't look right, but it may not be a finished product... as the CGI is usually done last, right? That's what I remember.

Angelina, Mila? No, but better perhaps.. but SJ looked good in "Lucy" when the drug took effect... but IMO that isn't right for the Major's character... there was a different feel to the character in the original manga... very 80s, but it changed in the last volume... not the Major we know recently, but closer... you can see the character changes reflect our changed society... more dystopian... 'end-times' etc..

Jodie/Sandra??? :eek: What is that? No way... unless they want to do a comedy? ^_^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mpH6kDYYI
well the manga got more comedy, they're action heroine examples by decade... about weird Cg overlay, just found a 'dare to compare' live action vs 1st film <_<

Just watched this clip of the comparison.. interesting.... it seems they are trying to do a live action version pretty much straight up..... but, though the actress can play the type, she might be too old for the part.. not 'tight' enough for the part... should've spent more time in the gym, but her attitude is 'soft'... way too 'soft' for the character as the animes have been protraying her in recent years.... she looks too 'soft'... in form and attitude....

she looks wrong for the part... even the original manga had her as more of a badass like 2guns in Black Lagoon... this looks way too 'American'... and this is just from a couple of previews??? that's not good, but for the general audience in the States etc. it might not matter, as they probably never heard of this work before.... America usually does the goofy superhero stuff, not the dark Blade Runner kind from years ago. She doesn't look right here from the little I see... oh well.

gdpetti said:
this looks way too 'American'... and this is just from a couple of previews??? that's not good, but for the general audience in the States etc. it might not matter, as they probably never heard of this work before.... America usually does the goofy superhero stuff, not the dark Blade Runner kind from years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haXvp8M9Cog
now that you mention it i just found the trailer, finally a sequel 35 years later!.. so GITS live'action and BR'2049 will be released next year, what a coincidence :eek:

Interesting that they'd decided to reboot it, update it or whatever, only problem I initially see is the main actor, Ryan Gosling.... might be a similar problem to the GITS situation... he just doesn't 'have it' as a male lead... few do male or female, which makes them exceptions to the rule in terms of being box office superstars... able to 'deliver' opening weekend returns... maybe I'm wrong, I really don't keep up on the situation here anymore, but, like it or not, good or bad actor, Harrison Ford 'had it' in terms of being a star that stayed popular... same with the gay Scientologist actor... name escapes me.... oh well... Tom .... Cruise... that's it.... like him or not, he delivers, and neither of them have great charisma either... they have a 'look' that works for the parts they play... as long as they don't stray from those parts. Ryan doesn't have that look... you could call it a 'new' or 'anti-hero' type, but either you have the 'look' or you don't and like the actress in the AMerican GITS film, they just don't 'have it'.... not to say the product is bad, just harder to sell it in the marketplace.

BTW, that preview isn't much, is it? But they are probably still in production, so it's just an initial teaser to whet the audience... pump up expectations etc.
BTW2... a similar 'remake' from a foreign to domestic product from a while back... was the French 'La Femme Nikita'... the American product didn't look as good in any way, shape or form.. and the actress was wrong for that role as well... the original had a certain 'feel' to it, that the American product didn't even seem to care about or try to emulate... and it turned out as a pile of mush.... not her fault.. bad casting, bad script adaptation, etc... the AMerican GITS looks good from the preview, but the actress doesn't have the right 'look' for the Major... a bad sign for their marketing dept... unless they can come up with a better preview at minimum, even if the film is mush... they need the opening weekend to pump ticket sales, ads etc. I would still like to see the mangaka take up the reins on that old manga of his and take it to the next level... but maybe he doesn't know how... or where things are going... so he sits spinning his wheels... and his old material keeps doing much the same in various reboots.

For some reason the post button isn't working....

gdpetti said:
the AMerican GITS looks good from the preview, but the actress doesn't have the right 'look' for the Major... a bad sign for their marketing dept... unless they can come up with a better preview at minimum, even if the film is mush... they need the opening weekend to pump ticket sales, ads etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIW1CsLuuNM
well here is the Super Bowl spot trailer, officially announcing it for March 31st... Showing other scenes get my curiousity, a bit more to go watch it next month :p

Well, it's better, but I still don't think she's 'right' for the part... not an age thing.... the Major as portrayed in the recent works seems about that age... but in an ageless way that 2d anime is better at showing obviously... but in live action, i think she needed to be 'cut'... not chisled, but 'tight'... as she looks 'soft'.... which as 'shell' she wouldn't be... and her whole look is 'soft' as well in the dialogue and body movements.... I think they needed someone more like Milla Jovovich... or someone like that... with the attitude that I don't see on this actress's face... but some of that is the director's fault, as i've seen her do better in that other movie... and given this script, it seems this android/ghost body is a new thing... this preview seems to imply that it isn't a standard operation for injured troops.... even specialized ones like the Major.... that's what I got from this preview anyway.

But the film looks great visually.... but it all comes down to the part of the Major, and if that doesn't work, all this visually beautiful film will go to waste and the internet will crash it.... but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe this preview isn't showing the Major we know from the Japanese manga/anime... and it could've been reconfigured for this Hollywood project... that could be this implication from the preview... as if the 'ghosting' affect is a new process and she's one of the first, if not the first, shell... ??? :unsure: I'd like it to be good though.... I like the storyline... just wish it would be pushed forward instead of always returning to the starting point... but the mangaka is at fault for that.... he never took that next step that I know of. All of which reminds me of how often Hollywood 'reboots' film franchises... same with the anime in Japan, the same concepts/storylines tweeked just a bit, over and over each season... nothing new... or really 'original'.

I have to wait and see what the reviews are next month from you. :eek:

gdpetti said:
But the film looks great visually.... but it all comes down to the part of the Major, and if that doesn't work, all this visually beautiful film will go to waste and the internet will crash it.... but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe this preview isn't showing the Major we know from the Japanese manga/anime... and it could've been reconfigured for this Hollywood project... that could be this implication from the preview... as if the 'ghosting' affect is a new process and she's one of the first, if not the first, shell... ??? :unsure: I'd like it to be good though.... I like the storyline... just wish it would be pushed forward instead of always returning to the starting point... but the mangaka is at fault for that.... he never took that next step that I know of. All of which reminds me of how often Hollywood 'reboots' film franchises... same with the anime in Japan, the same concepts/storylines tweeked just a bit, over and over each season... nothing new... or really 'original'.

I have to wait and see what the reviews are next month from you. :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpsfXLa2g-s
yup especially if i win premiere ticket, i have seen ads at local theaters already... easier than one for the Tokyo event, nice to hear the 1st GiTS film intro again :d

Interesting.... what I found more interesting is the other vid "What Japanese Think of Whitewashing (Ghost in the shell, Death Note...)

That said, on GiTS... I can see the director wanting to emphasize the initial adaptation of the major's ghost into her shell... the emotional transition/adjustment etc... but I still don't see Scarlett in the part... she would fit perhaps more with the initial manga type character or the second manga one.... but since the reboot of the character/story a few years back, Scarlett doesn't fit the new major... which isn't a problem really, especially for Western audiences that mostly have no idea what this character/story is... it's not Batman or the other well known Marvel type characters that have been done to death here in recent years.... so from a marketing standpoint, the choice is obvious, but if you want to keep with the intent of the original character or the reboot, then there's a problem as Scarlett seems too 'soft'... but that is a difference, if I remember correctly, between the manga and the rebooted anime.. she's gotten 'harder' and shorter.... the original manga had her as an 80s supermodel type only with a party animal personality... then the mangaka changed it when he changed her body type.... but not the personality too much, just that she outgrew the team and left them behind... to use as backup when needed... she went indie.... which the later anime took to another level with a different form/body type... shorter... less supermodelish.... more intense... and this is my question on Scarlett's take on the character, as presented by the director... as the script seems much the same, only with some added 'transition' scenes... not sure.. hopefully, the finished product will look better after the CG dept gets done with it.... always hard to tell at this stage... unless those previews were the finished product? That 'transition' isn't dealt with in the manga/anime much... as her personality doesn't 'soften' up much to show it.... the manga has her more outgoing like 2 guns in Black Lagoon... only to make her more professional in the body change... I think the tv anime had a mix? pushing to the later... and the rebooted work has none of the supermodel party girl aspect to the 2Guns type personality and more military-intel minded... introspective... the 'transition' is all in her mind... which fits the character as the anime showed her.. but that wasn't the type of personality in the manga.. not that I remember anyway... so if Hollywood wants to change it, it should be acceptable as the anime did the same... and if it looks good, and works right as an action movie, then no one will really care except the otuko types. I don't care, I'm more interested in the series going to the next level, but that doesn't seem to be in the works of its creator... as it keeps getting a reboot to the beginning.

If the director made the rest of the movie look as good as the backgrounds in the previews, then it should work out fine... just a different 'Major' than previous ones... again, nothing new... I just prefer the more introspective type... more intense... but less 'American' in its 'superhero' film models...so it's to be expected.

gdpetti said:
since the reboot of the character/story a few years back, Scarlett doesn't fit the new major... which isn't a problem really, especially for Western audiences that mostly have no idea what this character/story is... it's not Batman or the other well known Marvel type characters that have been done to death here in recent years.... so from a marketing standpoint, the choice is obvious, but if you want to keep with the intent of the original character or the reboot, then there's a problem as Scarlett seems too 'soft'... but that is a difference, if I remember correctly, between the manga and the rebooted anime.. she's gotten 'harder' and shorter.... the original manga had her as an 80s supermodel type only with a party animal personality... then the mangaka changed it when he changed her body type.... but not the personality too much, just that she outgrew the team and left them behind... to use as backup when needed... she went indie.... which the later anime took to another level with a different form/body type... shorter... less supermodelish.... more intense... and this is my question on Scarlett's take on the character, as presented by the director
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxYIIFJ9IdI
actually Batman is from DC comics, not Marvel ;p but i get why she doesn't fit... what do you think of her take yesterday, at the academy awards red carpet?:lol:

Not much... typical red carpet selling the product... which is part of her job... especially near/upon release... it's usually in most contracts, as the public generally isn't interested in the production team, maybe an occasional director etc.
She didn't really say much... but as I said or inferred... from what little we see of her in the preview, she doesn't seem 'right'... but that is only for the latest anime version of the character, as the original manga had a much different take on the Major character... and Scarlett does fit that much better... the Major's body was from a 'supermodel' or whatever type... and she was really outgoing party animal, more than the guys around her... but the animes changed that, and the latest one took her character in a new direction.... that plotline of the creator of her body/form was used in one series/films or whatever.. not sure if that was in any of the original manga or someone its original mangaka came up with or who... so if what we are seeing is just another reboot, this time by Hollywood, then it's not a problem... and it then comes down to execution of the storyline, same as always... as the preview looked great otherwise... we just don't get a good look/feel for the Major, one of those shots looked like the CGI wasn't done yet... murky, or were they trying to hide her naked form?? :huh: Still, she looked like she needed to hit the gym in that shot.... and that wouldn't be the case with an android form... in our PTB's quest for transhumanism.. in order to live forever etc.

I actually hope this project is good... I think most people that like the story do... it's just another reboot from a new production team that's all.... so a little adjustment is needed... I'm still looking for a next step, as all the projects have been reboots.

gdpetti said:
the preview looked great otherwise... we just don't get a good look/feel for the Major, one of those shots looked like the CGI wasn't done yet... murky, or were they trying to hide her naked form?? :huh: Still, she looked like she needed to hit the gym in that shot.... and that wouldn't be the case with an android form... in our PTB's quest for transhumanism.. in order to live forever etc.

I actually hope this project is good... I think most people that like the story do
same here but yes instead of 'nude', CG doesn't look fixed in final(?) Pv either... yet i'm curious to see Logan now on theaters, reviewed as best wolverine film :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9lW6eaFcsA

Just watched that preview above... seems a repackaged piece.. not any different, so is this the end product of their CGI work? She doesn't look nude there.... and she looks too old, not that it's a number thing, but prototype or not, her handlers wouldn't put 'her' brain into some average body type, meaning, she didn't spend enough time in the gym... perhaps too many other film projects at the same time... but she looked more like the 'major' during that press interview with the Jap actor and the American director.. with her stylish haircut etc....

So, in this American reset of the series storyline, she's the 'first'.. a prototype... they can explain all they want, but she doesn't 'look' it... robotic, android, 'new', 'cut', superstrong, fast, anything she should be.... and she looked 'old' didn't she? I'd actually like this to be good, and hopefully the script is, because the lead actress doesn't... not as presented in these clips.. she looks more the part in the interviews, the red carpet and other movies... she just doesn't look 'tough' like the latest anime major, nor glamorous or spirited like the original manga versions... her attitude is wrong... her brain might be in the body, but the body should look 'new' etc... and the most of it we see is her face, and it simply doesn't look 'right'.. doesn't 'feel' right.. too normal... and that's the director's fault.. I would think... the makeup, the instructions to the actress.... perhaps the script approval.... her whole form is android .. if they want to portray her in this different light as being the 'first' of her type.. the old '6 Million Dollar Man' comes to mind.. the director has to show it all in her eyes... .the expressions and reactions to the situations... unless they changed her personality as well??? Perhaps that's what they've done as well.... perhaps she isn't that party hardy girl ... not the kickass girl/woman.... etc.... this film is protraying the Major as a totally different person, unlike everything else I've seen... but they can do what they like with a reset... as long as it works.... so you have to see the film to test that.

gdpetti said:
seems a repackaged piece.. not any different, so is this the end product of their CGI work? She doesn't look nude there....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCyXVEVpKk
so that's a thermoptic suit', to me it seems like plug suits from NG Evangelion... But unpainted ;/ still I noticed a few, different scenes in some new trailers :huh:

Hmmm, so, have you seen it yet? I found this set of reviews... from first expectations, to the reviews of the trailers to the final review of the film that just came out..... I agree with all of her opinions... but some of the problems with the original story is that its author didn't take it to the next level either. Here's those Youtube reviews.. some felt the same, some felt it was good if you don't know the series already.. etc.. which she also mentions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMebg51_LE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WykXpcdiHA (this one covers the look of Scarlett in the part very well)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6aslI2kTJg (she covers Scarlett and the dif between her look and the Major's)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdnkDtEmNbg ( first look preview)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FvaQmBeCzc (the main film review in theatres.. hint... she wasn't happy... Spoilers Alert.).. I like the mention of the lack of people in the city scenes.
I did find it interesting the difference in some of the opinions, but they were mostly those that didn't know the anime or manga... as a general scifi film some liked it, others thought it ok, but nothing new... as this was the resource for so many that followed.. like the Matrix etc.... and this is covered by the above review of the released film. I still come back to that look on Scarlett's face... it just isn't 'right'... which seems to be a change in the storyline the Hollywood film did... the previews alone tell this story... but that final Youtube review said it rather well.... She mentions in that 3rd one, I think, a quote by the director that sums it all up... and the finished product is exactly as expected... good review.

PS.... there's a review with 4 guys on Youtube that covers a few good points in the end spoiler section... the first birth mother and 2nd android creator 'mother'... to cover the look of the Major... which is a good way to deal with the issue, though most anime, IMO, makes their characters look 'Western', so I don't see any problem.

Well, since this is where we were posting on the 2017 live action GITS.... just watched it, and I mean 'just' as the credits are still rolling on the screen... yes, they didn't use the iconic music till the ending credit sequence.... :blink: How stupid it that? And it's emblematic of the entire movie... well almost... yes, most of the action scenes were done well, and the first scene with her 'mother' was probably the best in the entire film... they changed so much in so many characters... That review I posted from Alachia is correct IMO... they took out the 'ghost' and left the shell.

First, why wouldn't you use that iconic music to open the film? Unless you are afraid of any comparison all that follows? :D The changed storyline is ok.... as the Arise series did the same, making her like that since birth, due to her mother's death (father as well)... So no problem with changes like that, but overall, it's 'meh'... or ok... nothing special.... totally lacks the whole metaphysical discussion that runs through the anime.. I forget how much of that was actually in the manga, as there really wasn't much manga chapters to go on.... which shows you how iconic it was to last this long.

In one word overall... Scarlett, as portrayed is completely wrong for this part.... but she could've been 'right'... just look at her on the red carpet at premieres etc... they could've used that image of the 'Major', which is keeping with the model look of the manga actually... and the original anime.... as well as the very end point of the Arise series.. implied I guess. So, this comes down to the director as well as whoever ok'd the concept..... a simple shot of how bad that hairdo looks on Scarlett as the 'Major' pretty much sums it up.... it looks so bad. Alachia's review pretty much said it all..... this is a dumbed down American product.... and most American product is dumbed down.... without the metaphysical chit-chat, the producers et al, could've just used any other character, why pay for the 'Major' unless you are going to attract its fans and continue the 'discussion'? It's not a bad action movie, but even those scenes needed to be 'tighter'... faster, more dramatic etc. I don't think I can blame this on the actress, Scarlett.... the entire concept of the "Major" this film is using is just wrong.. and doesn't work... too 'family friendly'... too 'dumbed down' like all American super hero stuff... it's simply all the same..... It's just a cheap imitation.... did they seriously think the fans would like it? Accept it? No... so they didn't try... the late use of the iconic soundtrack proved that... the opening sequence was rather good especially the tendrils of the brain to body connections... but it seemed a letdown after seeing the previews.... a few good special effects here and there, but overall, a generic script, generic direction... and WTF is Section 9's chief speaking Japanese when everyone else is speaking English? :blink: Because the actor can't? That's what I heard.. but seeing how his part was so small and different from the character from the manga/anime, why even bother? It doesn't make sense... very poor choices in the concept.
Alachia's review was dead-on. I think Americans do this because they can, as long as the dollar is still accepted around the world... as long as they can get the masses to buy tickets to this generic stuff... not crap, just 'blah'... 'meh'.... 'nothing special'... nothing new.... :mellow: Glad I didn't bother to pay to watch it at the theatre....

All that said.... since the Arise series ends where the original began... all that's left would be to pick it up after the end of the original movie, or the end of the original anime series.. she returned to Section 9 at the end of that... but in the other two movies, she didn't... I'd follow the movies.... that character was the best. Otherwise, it's sayonara 'Major'.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back