Global Warming

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
I do believe that global warming is real. However, I do not think that the media circus is necessary, because most of the world already realizes that there is a problem with our environment.
I'm studying psychology, and one of my projects this year is to find out why people are not acting even though they know our environment is in danger. Numerous surveys have been done around the world, and generally people feel that this is a major issue that needs to be addressed and acted upon... if so, why then is nothing happening? My theory is laziness, and the general excuse that somebody with means, will definitly do something...
Anyway, I just thought I would add that this is something I'm really interested in.

the country france is never cold. and if it snows, the snow will melt in 2 hours.
however in Minnesota, USA I heard it reached -10°F or something. It is quite possible that global warming is ocurring due to the fact that man kind has become intelligent with stuff. building cars which destroy the greenhouse pattern, which need gas, therefore making man take the earth's natural things, like oil. If man never exisited, if you and I were never born, this would never happen. however we should have seen this coming

QUOTE (kathie007 @ Feb 28 2007, 02:59 PM)If man never exisited, if you and I were never born, this would never happen. however we should have seen this coming

QUOTE (jacotyco @ Feb 28 2007, 2:34)my theory that 'intelligent' life means the end of it.
blink.gif

that's what i said
tongue.gif
this goes hand in hand with the eating the orange or banana or whatever from the tree of smartness and adam and eve got kicked out of paradise.

edit: not that I'm religious
mad.gif
ph34r.gif
blink.gif

QUOTE (jacotyco @ Feb 28 2007, 09:46 PM) yeah but those same people who were like 'GLOBAL COOLING, GLOBAL COOLING!!! AIIIEEEEEEE!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA FREEZE!!!!' way-way-way-way back in the 70's when i wasn't even alive are now saying 'GLOBAL WARMING, GLOBAL WARMING!!!! AIIIEEEEEEE!'

is it true that 3 degrees rise in temp will kill like half of all the species?
Well we never said that 3 degrees rise in temp will kill like half of the species (stop jumping to conclusions
laugh.gif
) we just want to say that global warming will affect the Earth's weather and stuff etc.

I do agree Julezia-san that all those media crap is unnecessary
wink.gif
and even if we do know about it we are just too lazy (me included
smile.gif
). However think of it this way, if don't promote the clean stuff to stop global warming (through media and etc) the people will blame the media for not doing their bit to control global warming, if global warming does happen then the people will blame the government for not doing any enough, and those same people a few years back probably thought the government was interfering too much with their lives and using Global Warming as a excuses.

I shorten that and perhaps say that the media is unnecessary but it is to stop the people blaming the government and stuff, cause they can say 'well we put it on TV, weaved it into the educational courses etc, and its your fault for not paying attention to it'

Perhaps this is another example of the blame game where we are at fault yet we somehow find someone else to share or move the blame onto!!
dry.gif
typical humans...

So jacotyco-san, where do you stand on this issue? Im sorta confused.
blink.gif

Remember that this is a thread to discuss whether global warming is real!
ph34r.gif

QUOTE So jacotyco-san, where do you stand on this issue? Im sorta confused.
hmmmm.....somewhere in the middle. i'm stuck between two ideas.

1. We're all gonna die cause of humans. if we hadn't evolved the world wouldn't be losin forests and smelly oceans and stuff

2.global warming is just a way for the government to get money through the media and stuff. the earth has been around for 4.6 billion years and it should take more than us to screw it up this bad

well, since the earth is about 4.6 billion yrs old, it may not be completely our faults that the world is becoming one giant heater, but one thing for sure is that were helping tremendously with pollution and other factors.
biggrin.gif

Well hey if we can blow out a big chunk of Earth and send it flying into the sun.... screwing up Earth shouldn't be too hard..
happy.gif

But i think we can all agree tha global warming is real (whether we like it or not), the effects of global warming ain't known at this point (but there are predictions which vary in magnitude....). We also seem to all agree that we are not doing enough!!!!

The goverment..... is almost a completly different issue altogether.....

I think it is real, but, luckily for me i live somewhere that's cold
sleep.gif
so hopefully the slight rise in temperature will be a good thing.

We all know the problems but usually the cure involves money at some stage and know one or at least very few people are willing to part with their money.

The only chance to stop global warming before it's to late is for something dreadful to happen to open peoples eyes to the dangers that could/can/will happen.

*Is new* *Can't use grammar*

QUOTE (MKK2004 @ Mar 01 2007, 07:36 PM) one of my friend said it's just a cycle that the earth will be covered in water and an ice age will arrived.
Gah... your friend could be right
smile.gif
Be we may never know untill it happens, and if it does chances are we will be dead
wink.gif
(like the people who died in The Day After Tommrow
laugh.gif
).

And im still pissed at global warming
dry.gif
We only got one day of good snow!!!!!
blink.gif
sad.gif

Snow was one of the few reasons i chose to study in york
dry.gif
sad.gif

QUOTE (MKK2004 @ Mar 01 2007, 01:36 PM) one of my friend said it's just a cycle that the earth will be covered in water and an ice age will arrived.
I guess that could be right. I mean there has been an ice age before long ago so what's not to say that something of that nature can't happen again, being it getting colder or getting hotter.

In general I believe that global is a real thing that we should be concerned about to some degree. We certainly aren't helping the problem with all the pollution people produce daily, but I wonder if we've gotten to a point where it's possible to stop any massive change or if it's too late and "ball's already rolling" so to say.

QUOTE And im still pissed at global warming dry.gif We only got one day of good snow!!!!! blink.gif sad.gif
Snow was one of the few reasons i chose to study in york dry.gif sad.gif

Haha. I know how you feel. I just started college in Boston last September and we've only had one real day of snow, and it was only about 3 inches at the most. We've had flurries on several occasion, but nothing that really counts. Recently it's actually been relatively warm. All this week it's been about 40deg F, which is a very comfortable temperature so I'm happy about it.

i think i read somewhere that all the volcanoes put out more pollution type stuff in a day then we do in a year

QUOTE (jacotyco @ Feb 28 2007, 04:30 PM)Yeah but water doesn't change temperature as fast as land and there's much more land then water. I think you have that reverted. There is more of the earth's surfaced covered by water then there is land.

But you are right that water (specially when its deep) changes temperature very slowly. Water has an extremely high thermal capacity. That means large water body (oceans and large lakes) act as temperature buffers. They have a stabilizing effect on the temperature.

QUOTE (julezia @ Feb 28 2007, 04:49 PM) if so, why then is nothing happening? My theory is laziness, and the general excuse that somebody with means, will definitly do something... This is indeed the psychology aspect, but the aspect of politic. It is not true that "nothing is being" done. But for many people, there is nothing done until they see people in the open. It is like people saying a construction is late because they don't see any cranes on a site. They simply never consider the army of engineers and architect that work to make it possible to even start thinking about a crane.

If we were to talk about environment improvement programs, anyone familiar with ROHS? It is the biggest revolution to hit the electronic industry in the last 10 years and it is solely aimed at reducing toxic materials in the environment (ROHS compliant devices have no lead, mercury and 4 other toxic material in them). But apart from people in electronics, the general population ignores the existence of such things and many would say that "nothing is being done". Yet to allow development of that initiative, it took millions of dollars and a lot of hard work from everyone in the industry.

QUOTE It is not true that "nothing is being" done. But for many people, there is nothing done until they see people in the open.

If they spent too much money on P.R. and marketing, they wouldn't have anything left to actually do anything
blink.gif

QUOTE (jacotyco @ Mar 01 2007, 09:23 PM) i think i read somewhere that all the volcanoes put out more pollution type stuff in a day then we do in a year
i think that may depend on what kinda eruption it was... if there was a massive one then that may be possible. But i generally would assume that volcanoes have a lesser effect than we do
wink.gif
But their cause is not insignificant
smile.gif

Also out greenhouse gas output has increased a lot during the last few decades. So before the 1900s the volcanoes may have contributed to the greenhouse effect more than us.

As another side note, global dimming. Basically its a reduction of light reaching Earth due to more clouds forming due to pollution in the air, thus reducting the world temperature. So we expect that it is buffering the effects of global warming. However since we are slowly reducing pollution the effects of global dimming are reducted. That means that we may see a greater global warming! (oh and adding pollution to increase global dimming to balance it out won't work cause all the plants would die due to lack of photosynthesis (light!!!))
dry.gif

QUOTE (jacotyco @ Mar 01 2007, 02:23 PM) i think i read somewhere that all the volcanoes put out more pollution type stuff in a day then we do in a year
so maybe we ought to not to add more of those pollution.
biggrin.gif
And really...how many times a volcano erupts violently a year?Gah,this is so hard........

DnD-dono is so into this thing....visit us at EVA thread sometimes okay buddy?

Well...about this whole thing......mmmm.......I guess it's just up to individuals in the end..I don't know if they couldn't think for themselves that polluting the air is not a good thing to do.
wink.gif
Maybe they didn't realised much of the effect,but if they don't even know polluting is wrong,they either someone who are not blessed with healthy mind,or just playing dumb all along.

-->Human is weak as individuals,but they might as well the strongest as a species.Guess this thing just the same.If we could work together towards one-goal,solving this matter might be lot easier...
laugh.gif

QUOTE so maybe we ought to not to add more of those pollution.
biggrin.gif
And really...how many times a volcano erupts violently a year?Gah,this is so hard........
no i meant just sitting around they do more than we do. maybe we should just plug up all the volcanoes
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE Well hey if we can blow out a big chunk of Earth and send it flying into the sun.... screwing up Earth shouldn't be too hard..
mad.gif

could we actually do that? i remember like on discovery or something they tested a nuke and all IT could do was wipe out a few islands.
rolleyes.gif

or it could be that i'm out of the nuclear weaponry loop
ph34r.gif
laugh.gif

Wipe out a few islands? That should be more than enough, after all humans proubably have 1000s of those nukes! Think atomic bombs and nuclear bombs, i suspect we have a heck of a lot of them!

QUOTE (jacotyco @ Mar 02 2007, 08:08 PM) no i meant just sitting around they do more than we do. maybe we should just plug up all the volcanoes
rolleyes.gif

That's an idea...
laugh.gif
But it's a given, I mean, perhaps it's true that volcanoes give out more pollution than we humans do but the volcano couldn't do anything about it, it is its nature. We humans on the other hand have the ability to control ourselves and our actions so we should be taking responsibility. In my opinion, we contribute more than all nature's waste put together, though I think nature doesn't produce waste, everything extracted from nature goes into the cycle and is being reused.
laugh.gif

holy crap, i just saw an inconvenient truth, scared the crap outta me....x_x

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back