Greg Aires On Fansubbing

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE People in Japan do have to pay for their cable and satelite tv in order to be able to watch this and on tv there are commercials.

...It's not on standard TV signals anymore? Well, crap, that's changed. I thought they were still getting it for free.

I had a friend that lived over there years ago, and he used to get it and tape it. Now that I think about it, I don't remember him telling me if he had cable or just standard antenna TV. He probably had cable.

QUOTE 1-I think singles are a complete waste of my money so I refuse to ever buy them. I'm not gonna buy 6 or 7 dvds for a full series at $15-20 a piece when I can just wait and buy the full set for $40-60 later. 2-I'm a college student and extra money isn't something I normally have to spend on anime.

I'm in the same situation there. Half.com and convention trips were my saviors when it came to satisfying my new DVD cravings.

Another thought just crossed my mind, as an alternative to the Gonzo method - maybe the companies could host the shows on their own websites and give access to pay-to-play accounts that you could use to pay for / watch episodes via streaming? Granted they would still need subtitles.

QUOTE (hi2525 @ Nov 03 2008, 02:58 AM)
http://timetravelisawesome.com/2008/07/gre...bad-fansubbers/

I much more present but just wait.
From this post, was a URL address that had something that really caught my attention and it was when the blogger said: -

"Ayres is a man who is attempting to save a sinking ship. What he doesn’t realize is that a bigger, better, brand new ship is waiting for him just feet away from where he is screaming and panicking. Unless he realizes it he will ride the ship down into the ocean with the rest of the American Anime Industry.

I would like to add that I am not dissuading people from buying DVDs. I’m about to drop a good deal of money on the new reasonablely priced Slayers box sets. Buy the anime you love, buy the anime that you want to see successful, and buy the anime for the value that it gives you as a fan when it sits on your shelf. But do not buy it out of guilt. That’s a foolish way to make any purchasing decision."

I've both and watched anime in dub before, I only buy ones that I really want or when I have no idea of what to do with my money.

When I had no idea of what to do with my money: -

Some years ago, when I was in holiday in Canada, I had a day left to my flight and I had a lot of spare cash on me, so I decided to go to HMV and buy some anime but their collection was pretty old, I ended up buying Initial D Live-Action Movie, Viewtiful Joe Vol. 1 & 2, Street Fighter II V and a few others, it was pretty much a waste as most of the DVDs were "dub only"....to my horror, I was young and stupid back then, only the Jay Chou movie had its native language with subs and at the time, my best buy.........but I wasted most of my money that day.......okay.....this is really off-topic...I kinda strayed away from the point I wanted to make.

Okay, lets look back to what that blogger said that really stuck to me: -

But do not buy it out of guilt. That’s a foolish way to make any purchasing decision.

SEE........LOOK AT THAT......we should never buy an anime out of guilt, its like demeaning the anime and staining your otaku purity.
ohmy.gif

I like fansubs and I will only buy things that I really think should be bought, you know I read the entire His Dark Materials trilogy about 6 years ago, I read them by borrowing them from the library, I loved the series so much that I somehow swindled my father into buying me a special edition of the entire series for £40.00 (about 80 US dollars or more). Was it worth it ??? I don't know, I never read the books after that, only read them once.
ohmy.gif
Despite that, I still love the fact that I have them.
rolleyes.gif

I will continue to watch fansubs because of my hunger but I will also buy if I really really want them and not over the guilt that I watched it "illegally".
rolleyes.gif

~~Weird and Stupid post by JCD (I think)~~
blink.gif
unsure.gif
wink.gif
ph34r.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Nov 07 2008, 05:17 PM)Some years ago, when I was in holiday in Canada, I had a day left to my flight and I had a lot of spare cash on me, so I decided to go to HMV and buy some anime but their collection was pretty old, I ended up buying Initial D Live-Action Movie, Viewtiful Joe Vol. 1 & 2, Street Fighter II V and a few others, it was pretty much a waste as most of the DVDs were "dub only"....to my horror, I was young and stupid back then, only the Jay Chou movie had its native language with subs and at the time, my best buy.........
Watching fansubs plays a big part in how we perceive dubs. If a person is constantly watching fansubs then they are going to have a different opinion on the dub quality. As people watch a series they grow accustomed to the characters voices. When the viewer then watches the same series with a different voice it seems "unnatural" and bad. This is probably one of the reasons why people think dubs are so awful. It should come as no surprise that the hardcore anime fans (who watch the most fansubs) are the ones who hate the dub quality the most.

If a person never watches fansubs their only exposure will be the dubbed versions. As a result, they will accept the voice actors more easily. In fact if they then switch to the original versions they could find the natural voice actors have the "unnatural voices" (i.e watch the dub then fansub). This could be another area where fansubs harm the anime industry.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER)I like fansubs and I will only buy things that I really think should be bought, you know I read the entire His Dark Materials trilogy about 6 years ago, I read them by borrowing them from the library, I loved the series so much that I somehow swindled my father into buying me a special edition of the entire series for £40.00 (about 80 US dollars or more). Was it worth it ??? I don't know, I never read the books after that, only read them once.
ohmy.gif
Despite that, I still love the fact that I have them.
rolleyes.gif

It is true, if people never watched fansubs they would not watch as much anime (a lot of series to do not make it to America or Europe). That does not mean people would buy less anime. I'm sure there are plenty of series that people might get but don't cause they're free on the internet. If the fansub option wasn't there, there's a better chance people would have bought the DVDs.

Another thing, if anime otakus are starved off anime, they are more likely to go to extreme measures to obtain their fix!
tongue.gif
In desperation, they may even wonder into HMV and buy a random anime DVD cause there's no fansubs to feed their addiction!
laugh.gif
wink.gif

I'm a bit out of touch with the supply and demand situation in Britain so I'm sure somebody will correct me and forgive me if I'm wrong. But I can only comment on Britain which to my knowledge has a pretty minimal anime industry and I find that if I want any uptodate anime, I as a resident of Britain, would generally have to spend almost as much buying one as I would if I was buying a DVD from Japan in the first place. Many anime's that even make it the States never make it to Britain so there will always be people in this country opting for fansubs if they know it exists.
That being said the film industry in the States is generally VERY robust and I find it hard to believe that fansubbing will have much effect on the larger companies such as ADV. It is more likely that they would be spending more money prosecuting fansubbers than they would lose if they didn't. So in that regards I doubt that fansubbing, whilst being unethical to varying degrees, has much of an impact on the anime industry, especially if you take into consideration the fact that most anime is still viewed by the DVD and license paying public in one form or another.
It would also be better for the license-holders to leave their shows more intact, as although they wish to sell to as wide an audience as possible, as loong as they place the appropriate warnings on packaging they are NOT legally responsible for people who watch the shows. The american distributors are just not cost effective with their distruubtion, if they were fansubbing wouldn;t even be considered a threat.

I would like to add that I am not dissuading people from buying DVDs. I’m about to drop a good deal of money on the new reasonablely priced Slayers box sets. Buy the anime you love, buy the anime that you want to see successful, and buy the anime for the value that it gives you as a fan when it sits on your shelf. But do not buy it out of guilt. That’s a foolish way to make any purchasing decision."[/i]

Buy the animes you like...
Fine, but it doesn't answer the question : why do you watch the animes you don't like ?

It's a really bad excuse for copyright infrigement.

---------------------

Watching fansubs plays a big part in how we perceive dubs. If a person is constantly watching fansubs then they are going to have a different opinion on the dub quality. As people watch a series they grow accustomed to the characters voices. When the viewer then watches the same series with a different voice it seems "unnatural" and bad. This is probably one of the reasons why people think dubs are so awful. It should come as no surprise that the hardcore anime fans (who watch fansubs) are the ones who hate the dub quality the most.

Completely true.
The Japanese voice of Ryo Saeba (in City Hunter) sounds completely crappy and unatural, for example.
Outside animes, Sylvester Stallone can't do Sylvester Stallone's voice. Strange, isn't it ?
smile.gif

----------------------

That being said the film industry in the States is generally VERY robust and I find it hard to believe that fansubbing will have much effect on the larger companies such as ADV. It is more likely that they would be spending more money prosecuting fansubbers than they would lose if they didn't. So in that regards I doubt that fansubbing, whilst being unethical to varying degrees, has much of an impact on the anime industry, especially if you take into consideration the fact that most anime is still viewed by the DVD and license paying public in one form or another.

I guess you have some numbers to sustain your statements. I'd be happy to see them.

sometimes money can be tight and they make really good anime, however i say get the fansub when you dont have the money and try to support the companies when you have the money, the fansubs viewers and the anime companies have had a good relationships with each other for a long time, except for the psycho ones, bandai even sent a thank you note to all fansub viewers but later put some of the dvd purchase information, through all of this i think we should work to continue the trust like this as this is uncommon with other entertainment industries

QUOTE (CodeGeassWatchingIdiot @ Nov 09 2008, 04:09 PM) sometimes money can be tight and they make really good anime, however i say get the fansub when you dont have the money and try to support the companies when you have the money, the fansubs viewers and the anime companies have had a good relationships with each other for a long time, except for the psycho ones, bandai even sent a thank you note to all fansub viewers but later put some of the dvd purchase information, through all of this i think we should work to continue the trust like this as this is uncommon with other entertainment industries
Very few fansub groups have any good relations with licensing companies. As far as I'm concerned, Lunar, Shinsen, and Live-Evil are the only 3 groups that get along perfectly with the companies since they cooperate with companies when cease and desists are issued, of which only Shinsen is actually still alive and kicking for the most part. Some groups do also comply occasionally, but in most cases they form another faction by hiding themselves on irc or just "disappear" to continue releasing under a different name. Companies then find it hard to track back and it's not in their best interest of time to do so.

Money can be tight but that doesn't give anyone the right to download fansubs. It's a fact that fansubbing and downloading fansubs are illegal regardless of the conditions. We/other fans continue to do so because of reasons including:
1) companies tearing apart the series via dubs, and sometimes mistranslations of the Japanese dialogue (sometimes the translations are too direct/literal, or sometimes too liberal)
2) some companies don't do quality checks (ADV, in particular)....I can only imagine what they're going to do with Clannad....this also explains why their Japanese partners completely broke off with them recently and moved to Funimation
3) without fansubs, companies would die in a heartbeat since no one would know what the heck these companies are licensing let alone would the companies themselves know what they're licensing and whether or not will it even be popular outside Japan.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back