Homework Help

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (wittyfox @ Oct 11 2006, 12:47 AM) Any one care to explain to me the diffence of a Raster image and a vector image. I just learned it today in class, but need some refreasing.
A raster image is composed of data that describes what the image looks like. When scaling/stretching, this image is prone to quality loss.

Example:
- a bmp or jpg of a circle, when zoomed in 1000x times becomes really really pixelated and ugly looking.

A vector image is composed of data that describes how to make the image.
Example:
- cad diagram of a circle, when zoomed in 1000x times... just draws a bigger circle using a formula

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgrap...itmapvector.htm

bitmap = raster, vector = ... vector

QUOTE (daft27 @ Oct 11 2006, 10:33 AM) bitmap = raster, vector = ... vector
Adobe Illustrator is an example of a Vector image format.

Any object built using vertex in openGL is basicly a vector image.

I have a project. It's an english ISU. I have to do a proposal on the Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien. So I need to talk mostly about the author and how he wrote the book and conveyed his thoughts on it. This is not a book report. So, can anyone help me out, and show me some good sites about J.R.R Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings? Also, couls you gimmi some ideas of what I can talk about.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Oct 14 2006, 04:22 PM) So, can anyone help me out, and show me some good sites about J.R.R Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings? Also, couls you gimmi some ideas of what I can talk about.
You could approach this with Tolkien's background as a linguist. He used his knowledge of language (english language, that is) to create new words by using words based on their alternative/original meanings.

Quite interesting.

I'm in major need of a program that can edit and compile my Java programs easily..

Does any one know how to program if, while and do while loops? Me and Malfion have a programming assignment.

Ugh.. I just finished my programming asignment few weeks ago .... and I hated it...
dry.gif

I might be able to help though....
unsure.gif
If I can find the time (me also busy), and if it's not TOO difficult...

We already know how to do loops man, we need IDEs that are similar to ReadyToProgram Java.

Well, I'm confused on some parts, I'll try to upload the sheet.

QUOTE (malfion @ Oct 29 2006, 01:11 PM) We already know how to do loops man, we need IDEs that are similar to ReadyToProgram Java.
I never heard of "readyToProgramJava".
But the two most popular IDE in use today are Eclipse and NetBean. They are both free.

Personnaly, I really like Eclipse. It can be found here http://www.eclipse.org/

All right, I've got one for you all ..... what is the cost of the Cassini mission to Saturn per a US citizen? (The US portion of the mission cost $2.6 billion)

I've been trying to find a source with the information online, but no luck. So I attempted to do the math ....

QUOTE 2 600 000 000 / 298 444 215 = 8.71184586 (etc)

(cost / population)

But if that means $8 that doesn't make much sense. The next question asks me "would you be willing to contribute this much of your tax money to the probe?" so I'm guessing it should be a larger number?

Anyone know the real cost/citizen (with a source please), or can correct (or confirm) my math? Preferably by Saturday night?

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Nov 16 2006, 02:03 AM) I've been trying to find a source with the information online, but no luck. So I attempted to do the math ....
Your math is correct but lacking a small aspect. You counted 298 444 215 US citizen. Which is about true. But that means you consider every children is also paying.

Try to find the number of people in the active population instead and it would give you a more realistic figure.

But you are right, it is not too much. Most programs are not evaluated in respect to the per capita costs but based on the overall budget. As in, many people think there would be better to do with that 2.6 billion, even if it only means a few dozen $ a year per person.

Okay, so a better number then would be "the number of Americans over 18 years of age"? (I don't know who pays taxes in America .... I'm assuming everyone 18+?) Whenever I search, I get a lot of stats on specific ethnic groups or the number of deaths in 9/11. I'm sure all 215 000 000+ people in America over 18 don't pay their taxes, but it's the best number that google is finding right now.

The new figure gives me a result of about $12/person. Since they're asking us to discuss per capita I thought the number would be a lot higher.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Nov 16 2006, 11:23 AM) (I don't know who pays taxes in America .... I'm assuming everyone 18+?)
No, it is basically like in Canada. Anyone having a revenue is subjects to revenue taxes. Whatever the age. It is simply not often you see a 16 year old making enough money to actually have to pay taxes, but they have to fill tax reports non the less.

Anyway, the term you are looking for is "active population". If you look for "active population census United States" and you should be able to find the US statistic agency and they should have that number.

The per capita numbers are not exceptional. But it is for a single program. To really be meaningfully, you would need to compare it to the "per capital taxes" and the "per capita revenue" of the whole country. Keep in mind 12$ can be a lot if you make 20$ a year! So you need to compare to what people make per year and how much of that they pay in taxes elsewhere.

As a side note, if you really want to make a full economic overview of such research projects, you need to at least mention the future gain and developments that are driven by such a program. Those benefits (that are extremely hard to calculate) are what makes such projects extremely beneficial.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Nov 20 2006, 05:25 PM) So it was merely coincidence that I started paying taxes when I turned eighteen then
huh.gif
All right, I've found the number (142,797,000 in 2000 by the way). Thanks for your help Bold! Now to finish this assignment ....
You officially start to pay taxes when you meet the required age and this, applies to all citizens.

QUOTE (noob @ Nov 21 2006, 02:15 AM) You officially start to pay taxes when you meet the required age and this, applies to all citizens.
That is incorect (at least in Canada). You pay taxes when you have a revenue that is above the basic tax credits. Usally, this is 16 since you can't work full time before that (since school is mandatory)

But let's say your parents dies and you get an inheritance, you will be paying taxes on the capital gains generated by your investements. So if you happend to earn enough money, even a 14 years old will pay taxes.

It is simply rare but it happens. I have a friend who was in that situation. It is not very funny. It is actually preatty cold to loss your parents and start paying taxes at the same time .. but that is life!

I'm wanting to know if anyone knows of some good sites where I can get statistical information about the sales figures for various anime, perferably just one site. Preferabbly credible sites.

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Thread Merged with homework help]

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back