Homo Sexuality

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Here is a question for you all:

Why is it that two gay people cannot be married because the church feels it is wrong, yet the church allows atheists, such as myself, to get married. I could easily get married in a church, by a preacher, to another atheist, and nobody would try to stop me. It is only homosexuals who aren't allowed. This being the case, I truly don't see this as a religious issue.

Churches, specifically the Catholic Church, do not allow gay marriage because it doesn't make little Catholics. If you might notice that contraception is also taboo. This is the reason for things like my own family of Irish Catholics, my mother has 8 siblings. The churches love this, their power and influence grow as the population of their congregations increase.

This of course is not what they would say. They would probably quote old testament scriptures that say 'any man who lies with another man as if with a woman is a son of perdition and irredeemable in the eyes of God.' The great irony to me is that the same laws of Moses also proclaim the exact same fate for people who eat shellfish or pork. So it's like Dalrida says, bigotry.

Most people in America are not very informed or educated, except by institutions like Christian churches. They get so caught up in the dogma of the organizations, they forget the heart of the message of Jesus; he did after all travel around with tax collectors and whores. Just try to love and accept your neighbors.

QUOTE Churches, specifically the Catholic Church, do not allow gay marriage because it doesn't make little Catholics. If you might notice that contraception is also taboo. This is the reason for things like my own family of Irish Catholics, my mother has 8 siblings. The churches love this, their power and influence grow as the population of their congregations increase.

Well, two points
-Having a lot of children has a lot to do with mortality, especially child mortality. And child mortality was quite higher in your grandmother's Ireland than now. Just look at the fertility rate in today's Italy, Spain or Poland (three mainly catholic countries : the fertility rate is under 2.1).
-the Church's positions about contraceptions has few to do with demographic warfare. Say what you want about the Church, but their position about life is consistant : no abortion, no contraception, but no death penalty. I've a lot of stuff against the Church, but I'll recognized their arguments are well-thought (but intolerant in some cases).

QUOTE Most people in America are not very informed or educated, except by institutions like Christian churches. They get so caught up in the dogma of the organizations, they forget the heart of the message of Jesus; he did after all travel around with tax collectors and whores. Just try to love and accept your neighbors.

Do people are bigots because they go to intolerant churches, or do intolerant churches exist because people are bigots ?
I'd say it's the second solution.

QUOTE How about this one, most people have children, then their children have children ...It's a wonderful thing being able to see your grandchildren, maybe even your great grandchildren. You know that you are leaving a legacy behind that will exist after the death of your body. Your offspring.

Not for the folks for whom their children lust after the same gender. What a curse, no legacy. No Future for those poor people. Of course you love your children no matter what, the offspring of your body ends there, even if they adopt or whatever.

It's not common for both/more than one child to be homosexual, is it? Reading this got me wondering if anyone has ever done stats on that.

And while the sentiment behind this argument might be true, a child doesn't have to be homosexual to not give their parents offspring (the childfree are a good example of this). The whole "we have no future! What about our legacy!" argument is ridiculous imo. There's an argument saying overpopulation is going to kill the earth/human species before global warming - people need to get over their selfish wants and focus on the greater good? So (at least one of) your children isn't having grandbabies. That doesn't mean they're a terrible person in my books, whether they're straight or gay.

sadly most of the hate is coming from I think the stories of the bible.

Cause in the bible it said that the reason Sodom and Gomorrah where annilated was because of the fact that all everyone seemed to think about in those cities where sex. The fact that they would do anything to have more and more of it. honestly sounds more like an outbreak of a virus that would cause that sort of thing.... (now thats one hell of a flu)

So really thats the real source of hate that is out there. They are scared god is going to come down and kill a bunch of people because of it.

The other part is that they think they can "catch" it like its some sort of disease. I think that is mainly due to what happens when a bunch of guys get together they start emulating each other. So if one person is gay then they will start to be that way too. Thus they feel threaten. As if the one person is going to change the feelings of the other.

I remember reading a news article about a study of large families that as the number of children increases the likely hood of the youngest being gay increases. I can't refute that as my 8th and youngest uncle is gay.

What I really dislike though about the recent surge for support for homosexuality is that people are starting to claim that many of the famous people of the past were homosexual as well.

For example, I've seen documentaries stating how geniuses like Michelangelo, Da Vinci and Van Gogh were gay. And then there's the new perspectives on how Alexander the Great was gay (in that recent movie featuring Colin Farrell) and how Hitler was gay.

I can accept that yes, some people like Oscar Wilde really were homosexual, but I really don't think everyone was like that back then. I'm starting to believe that this is being done because no-one really knows whether the claims are true (as these individuals are all now deceased), and to encourage support for gay rights in a sneaky fashion.

What do you guys think?

I don't know about Da Vinci, but I've heard the Michaelangelo speculation and believe that it has merit. Michaelangelo hung around priests and liked to seriously draw naked men. Also, different societies have different mores and that was hundreds of years ago. Activities that we think of as gay may not of met their definition of gay. Much like old arab cultures that believed in the death penalty for sex with someone with a beard but the same boy a few years earlier was OK.

QUOTE (Deagle_zero @ Jul 11 2010, 01:26 AM) For example, I've seen documentaries stating how geniuses like Michelangelo, Da Vinci and Van Gogh were gay. And then there's the new perspectives on how Alexander the Great was gay (in that recent movie featuring Colin Farrell) and how Hitler was gay.
Haven't heard about the first few, but I'm positive I'd heard that perspective on Alexander long before the movie came out. But I think that's partly a cultural thing - men had close relationships that we don't know a lot about, and therefore can't say if it was simply friendship/mentor-love or romantic/physical-love. I think the "surge" is simply that previously, it was scandalous to suggest such a thing of such important figures whereas now society is more open and trying to figure out what is fact/fiction. But I do agree that unless there is solid evidence, you can't necessarily "claim" them for your side's argument. And yes, the movie was definitely playing up one specific angle of studying Alexander's life. I know a classical scholar who would probably fall in the "he liked men too" camp who cringed.

QUOTE I really don't think everyone was like that back then
This is a pretty ambiguous statement. I don't think in any society, everyone was homosexual. However, most of the men you mentioned come from VASTLY different periods in history so it's not fair to lump them all together and say "it's impossible that back then, they were all gay!" Centuries lie between them.

And the Hitler argument, aren't people just looking for psychological repression to explain his actions? It may be right, it may not - but it is an interesting question. I'm not sure how it supports gay rights though.

QUOTE (mosque @ Feb 27 2010, 10:12 AM) Churches, specifically the Catholic Church, do not allow gay marriage because it doesn't make little Catholics.
Well Im going to a catholic school and they dont even allow divorce (not unless theres abuse or something).

My whole understanding of homosexuality is that its not wrong but not right.I think love is love doesnt matter if your in love with a bat its still love.I respect homosexuality and think its not a laughing matter but,would never become one.

QUOTE (markers15 @ Oct 05 2010, 05:16 PM) I respect homosexuality and think its not a laughing matter but,would never become one.
*high five!*

Speaking of homosexuality, has anyone here been following the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy in America? ...namely how it failed to pass in Congress? (AUGH!!!) For those of you not familiar with the policy, it basically says that if you are lgbt, you can only be in the military so long as you hide the fact from everyone else. Some 60% of people are in favor of getting rid of this policy, and yet it STILL didn't pass in Congress.

In my mind, it seems like a complete no-brainer that the gay/lesbian community should be more that welcome to serve in the military. This latest event in Congress makes me fear for the country's collective sanity... and also that politics sucks even more than I first though.
ph34r.gif

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or does anyone think there is a good argument for keeping the DADT policy in place?

It's been a while sense I checked this forum, well I got the expected replies.

You can micro-analyze your reasons to being fore something or against something. I was expressing my opinion. I think it is a little frightening to be honest that after so long the opinion that has been held onto for countless generations, can change in one. To embrace a practice that mainstream society considered to be something that shouldn't be talked about, hushed up, or have legislation to insure that it never BECAME mainstream.

All of my comments are opinions that I believe but don't necessarily express. I'm not really speaking for anyone else either, other than those faceless people we all have in the back of our minds that exist sometimes when we think we speak for the majority.

We really wouldn't know what the majority opinion would be unless everyone in the country voted on gay marriage 'yes or no'.

I vote no because we as a people have always voted no till now, and because in my opinion it is foul. Just that, my opinion.

The soul of America, to me, feels too liberal.

QUOTE You can micro-analyze your reasons to being fore something or against something. I was expressing my opinion.

Expressing your opinion doesn't mean your opinion is right, valid or even factual.
smile.gif

QUOTE I think it is a little frightening to be honest that after so long the opinion that has been held onto for countless generations, can change in one. To embrace a practice that mainstream society considered to be something that shouldn't be talked about, hushed up, or have legislation to insure that it never BECAME mainstream.

Yes, like all those black people pretending to be free people, or those darn women wanting to vote !
It's indeed frightening.
I don't know how I can live in such a decadent world. We're doomed, for sure.

QUOTE (EggBeast @ Oct 20 2010, 07:17 AM)
it basically says that if you are lgbt, you can only be in the military so long as you hide the fact from everyone else. Some 60% of people are in favor of getting rid of this policy, and yet it STILL didn't pass in Congress.

burly men showering together is a lot more gay if some of them might actually be homosexual, I suppose.

Also, my dad's been married to another man for over 10 years now, and I've grown up with it being normal. It's just like a regular married couple, ups and downs. I've found that most arguments against gay marriage or gay couples raising a child together are plain ignorance.

As for my own opinion...Love is love, people should decide for themselves who the love. I think you can love someone regardless of their gender. Still, gay couples making out excessively on the subway are jsut as annoying as straight couples doing so..

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back