Junjou Romantica

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

chiisai_hana

-nipah!
Retired
Junjou Romantica
Genre: Drama, Comedy, Romance, Yaoi (male/male relationship)
Episodes: 24
Air date: April 10th 2008 (so I've heard)
Based on the manga by Nakamura Shungiku
Manga licensed in English by BLU

Junjou Romantica: "Misaki is suddenly having some unexpected and odd problems. What started as a need for some college entrance exam tutoring has somehow led him to being romanced by a suave older man who also happens to be his big brother’s best friend." [Misaki Takahashi & Akihiko Usami]

Junjou Egoist: "Hiroki is a broken man, consumed by unrequited love for his childhood friend, Akihiko Usami. Along comes Nowaki, an orphan working his way through life since middle school, who whirls into Hiroki's life and heart, blowing all resistance away before him." [Hiroki Kamijou & Nowaki Kusama]

Junjou Terrorist: Miyagi doesn't want to fall in love with anyone, let alone a brat who happens to be his ex-wife's little brother. Shinobu insists that fate is bringing them together and recklessly pursues Miyagi. [You Miyagi & Shinobu Takatsuki]

If you are going to post manga spoilers, clearly label them and use spoiler tags! Avoid it if possible, or create a thread in the manga section for Junjou.

Left to Right: Shinobu/Miyagi, Nowaki/Hiroki, Usami/Misaki

More information: ANN

Scans by ladydarkmoon @ livejournal. Quoted summaries from Baka-Updates Manga.

I'm really curious to see what they do with this show. It's major selling point is definately the comedy and relationships of the characters (who are all inter-connected, for example, Hiroki and Miyagi work together as professors of Japanese literature at Misaki's university). It will also be fun since BLU has only released five volumes to date, and there are a good 8-9 out in Japan so eventually the anime will get ahead of what has been released in English!

I suppose I should post something since I was so gung-ho that this thread be made--
I just noticed that the promo video is up on the official site:
Junjou promo vid

It's short, but it looks good! (sorry my screencaps are so fuzzy)
Anyway, that's all I've got to say for now, seeing as it hasn't started airing yet *digs the manga, waiting with baited breath*

Opening Theme: "Kimi = Hana (君=花)" by pigstar
Ending Theme: "Baby Romantica (ベイビーロマンチカ)" by SCRIPT

Official Website: http://suzukisan.info/index2.html

I've come across the manga of this anime several times, when I'm checking for new things at bakaupdates and I continually hear about it being really good and all.
wink.gif

For some weird reason....I'm thinking should I watch it or not......hmmmmm...I guess I won't but who knows.....time will tell.
rolleyes.gif

The promo looks really good! I wonder how they'll divide up the show ... the promo was all Romantica (unless I'm not seeing things right) but I'm eager to see Egotist and Terrorist too.

JCD - I think it would be a fun series to check out, but I can't say if it'll live up to the manga or not yet. I found the first volume a little slow (I read it multiple times over the years but never got into the series) but once I got further in I really enjoyed it. It's one of those crazy yaoi comedies ... but it's not so far out there that it isn't believable. A good balance
cool.gif

QUOTE (lindahra @ Apr 10 2008, 08:03 AM)this anime seem interesting....! does anyone know where you can download it?Whenever it airs (oh yeah, today!) and they get done fansubbing it (we all gotta be patient), you'll be able to go over to Aarinfantasy and DL it from any of a hundred different host links, I'm sure. I don't know if it's going to be hosted here in FTV (...?).

Aarin's Junjou Romantica thread
(You may have to be a member to view the above thread-- I'm not sure. But if you're into shonen-ai/yaoi, you should join if you haven't already.)

Hmmm, looks like that particular OP referenced above was removed, but luckily there's no shortage of fans posting it:
Junjou Romantica OP on YouTube

It's very sweet! Although you can't really tell from the OP how, er, "strange" Usami's personality is supposed to be (well, except for him toting around the teddy bear).
I think I've watched this 4-5 times now, and although I've read the manga and am sorely tempted to start watching the RAW, I too am waiting for subs... I have to say, this is one of the first animes I've actually been "following" (if you can call it that) even before it aired, I'm not used to waiting for subs (so spoiled!).

*skips off to watch the OP again*

So Aarin has now subbed episodes 1&2 (you can also get it off their forums, sign up to get download access: http://www.aarinfantasy.com/forum/)

Overall, it's fairly well done. As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of Romantica so nothing too exciting I thought. I liked that we got to see Hiro briefly in the second episode, hopefully episode 3 or 4 will go into Egotist. And because I missed this the first time... be sure to watch past the ED credits because the show continues with little gags (like why Suzuki is named Suzuki, etc).

The OP is growing on me, they did a great thematic job with the "hold onto this hand" bit.

I picked up this series because I thought to myself that it's high time that I explored another genre (not counting the mainstrem popular ones that I watch because I'm mostly into shoujo). I actually liked it. It's really sweet and funny - are all yaoi like this??? And I love love love the OP.

Anyway, what really really pisses me off is that I realized that guys in yaoi are more romantic than they are in shoujo. Grr...
mad.gif

QUOTE (arisadelle @ Apr 28 2008, 02:14 PM)First yaoi for me, and I am a little excited. This is actually really fun to watch."My First Yaoi," what a great kid's book title! (er, on the other hand, maybe not *LOL*)

QUOTE (biankita @ Apr 29 2008, 10:20 AM)It's really sweet and funny - are all yaoi like this???OMG-- do I smell new yaoi fan? *laughs* Come in, join us... Anyway, to answer your question-- yes and no. Like anything else, it's only as good as the source material, and then, only as good as they adapt it. Maybe that's why folks like myself turn more to manga than anime for their yaoi fix, because you get the mangaka's intended story, straight from the horse's mouth (and uncensored, which is a plus). Very rarely do manga I like get made into TV series, honestly, due to the censorship involved.

Anyway... let me say that as a fan of this particular manga I'm so pleased that they decided to follow it so closely! There were points where I could actually cite verbatim what the next line of dialogue would be. And the "black-shading"-type censorship of the smexy bits was pretty well-done. Not to mention, the animation seemed lovely, too. As a fan, I feel (based on these first 2 eps that I've seen) that I've been done right, and I will definitely support this if (when?) it gets licensed! *starts saving her pennies*

Ahahaha... I actually picked up the manga but my source only goes as far as Volume 5 (first chapter of Junjou Terrorist). I've actually confirmed it - guys in yaoi are much more romantic than in shoujo (they're either morons or jerks). Anyway, It's nice that they're being loyal to the manga (makes it easier for idiots like me to follow the story. I'm also curious how they're gonna integrate the other two spin offs in the anime since it looks like it's exclusively focused on Misaki and Usami.

QUOTE (poonk @ Apr 30 2008, 01:28 AM)And the "black-shading"-type censorship of the smexy bits was pretty well-done.  Not to mention, the animation seemed lovely, too.  As a fan, I feel (based on these first 2 eps that I've seen) that I've been done right, and I will definitely support this if (when?) it gets licensed! *starts saving her pennies*
I'm actually thinking that the room may be fully lit on DVD.

EDIT: I read the spoilers for episode 3. It's Junjou Egoist.

QUOTE (biankita @ Apr 30 2008, 04:42 AM) EDIT: I read the spoilers for episode 3. It's Junjou Egoist.
Yay! That makes my day
laugh.gif
I was guessing that from some comments I'd seen (since the majority of fans like Egotist it seems) but didn't want to read spoilers (which in hindsight ... I already know what happens
huh.gif
)

And like poonk said, it definately depends on the series. You can certainly get some less romantic yaoi (especially when you get into fanworks of non-yaoi series) but most of it seems to follow the formula. It's really a sort of sub-genre of shoujo, although it seems to be gaining enough popularity now to be a genre in itself. I personally enjoy it more in manga form than anime, but I'm curious to see how Junjou goes and will keep watching.

I finally got round to watching the second, man this really is a great series, Usagi is amazing, he is damn smooth, if only i were like him.

I liked it when they kept on hanging up the phone on each other and then at the end when Usagi disconnected the phone cord, GENIUS, i think i might become a Usagi fanboy............................................... *waves good bye to Ichigo Girls*

Oh since i dont follow the Manga (yet), i take it Egotist and Terrorist are completly different stories then?

Well, Egoist is parallel somewhat to Romantica. It's about that guy in the school that Usagi borrowed the book from. Well, I'll only say that much since the next episode will focus on that anyway so no need for the spoilers.

But I don't know anything about Terrorist because as I mentioned, my manga scans only came as far as the first chapter of it so I couldn't pick up the story properly.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Apr 30 2008, 10:42 AM)And like poonk said, it definately depends on the series. You can certainly get some less romantic yaoi (especially when you get into fanworks of non-yaoi series) but most of it seems to follow the formula. It's really a sort of sub-genre of shoujo, although it seems to be gaining enough popularity now to be a genre in itself. I personally enjoy it more in manga form than anime, but I'm curious to see how Junjou goes and will keep watching.
Well, at least I now know that I'm not straying so far away from my primary genre
biggrin.gif
Anyway, I'm not complaining. I like Junjou... I haven't picked up any yaoi yet. But with all the things I'm watching this season, I don't have the time. Probably next season.

QUOTE (biankita @ May 01 2008, 09:16 AM) But I don't know anything about Terrorist because as I mentioned, my manga scans only came as far as the first chapter of it so I couldn't pick up the story properly.
There are only three chapters of Terrorist available in volume 5 (what BLU has currently released in English) but it's also a parallel story.

Egotist: Nowaki and Hiroki - Hiroki is Usagi's childhood friend and an assistant professor of Japanese lit at Misaki's university.

Terrorist: Shinobu and Miyagi - Miyagi is Hiroki's boss, the head professor of Japanese lit at Misaki's university. He is often a side character in Egotist stories.

The basic plot of Terrorist chapters 1-3 ... 18 year old Shinobu returns from Australia and declares that he's been in love with the 35 year old Miyagi for years. However, Miyagi married his older sister and Shinobu believed his love was doomed. Now that Miyagi and his sister are divorced, he tries to convince Miyagi that they should be together and finally asks Miyagi to sleep with him. Miyagi uses the opportunity to scare him off, but later begins to feel guilty about taking advantage of Shinobu. Upon learning that Shinobu is returning to Australia, he hurries to the airport and ....!!
wink.gif

Most fans seem not to like Terrorist, and I can see where the age thing would turn people away. But from what I've seen, I really like Shinobu's character. That, and of course, the entire plot seems to be mirroring Miyagi's own experiences as a teenager.

watching junjou too, liking it so far. Geez, I really love the romantic vibe this series manages to bring across. It is so different to the plain boy-girl love animes (which i HATE, and I mean that!!!!!!). The emotions are so much purer, more intense, inocent and naughty at the same time. This is what romance should look like in my opinion.
I am giving junjou both thumbs up!!!
laugh.gif

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ May 01 2008, 09:37 AM) Terrorist: Shinobu and Miyagi - Miyagi is Hiroki's boss, the head professor of Japanese lit at Misaki's university. He is often a side character in Egotist stories.

The basic plot of Terrorist chapters 1-3 ... 18 year old Shinobu returns from Australia and declares that he's been in love with the 35 year old Miyagi for years. However, Miyagi married his older sister and Shinobu believed his love was doomed. Now that Miyagi and his sister are divorced, he tries to convince Miyagi that they should be together and finally asks Miyagi to sleep with him. Miyagi uses the opportunity to scare him off, but later begins to feel guilty about taking advantage of Shinobu. Upon learning that Shinobu is returning to Australia, he hurries to the airport and ....!!
wink.gif

Most fans seem not to like Terrorist, and I can see where the age thing would turn people away. But from what I've seen, I really like Shinobu's character. That, and of course, the entire plot seems to be mirroring Miyagi's own experiences as a teenager.
Probably... doesn't seem to pique my interest. Seems too high drama for me. Unlike Romantica and Egoist which seems a little more fluid and natural since they seem just to be a random regular circumstances that just got them to where they were. But I'll just have to see once those chapters are out.

By the way, how many episodes is this??? 26??? That seems to be a little too long compared to the manga out... unless they have more volumes that are not yet translated.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ May 01 2008, 10:37 AM)Most fans seem not to like Terrorist, and I can see where the age thing would turn people away.Really!? Odd, because I actually like Terrorist just as well as Egotist (well, so far; like everyone else, I've only read the first 5 volumes). It's nice to see "aggressive-uke/reluctant-seme" sometimes *Go get'im, Shinobu!*, especially since the other 2 couples are the other way around. Honestly, I never really thought about the age difference; I focused more on the "ex-brother-in-law" aspect of the relationship.

@Biankita: It would be pretty nice if the DVD versions were not shaded! Although when I watched it again with my friend yesterday, I noticed that the shading didn't really cover any nudity or anything (you could still kinda see what was going on), it just sort of "muted" the action on the screen (although it's still reeeeeally obvious what's happening-- and then Usami licks his fingers! *dies* ).

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back