Madan no Ou to Vanadis

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

JCDRANZER

- Sky King
Retired
mMwvls0.jpg

Title: Madan no Ou to Vanadis
Genre: Romance, Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, ECCHI
Premier: 4th October 2014
Animation Studio: Satellite
Director: Satou Tatsuo
Original Creator: Tsukasa Kawaguchi
Official Website:

Plot:
Set in Western Europe during times of war, Eleanor "Ellen" Vertalia, one of the Vanadis of Zhcted, leads the battle into Brune. There are, in fact, seven Vanadis, named for having each received a powerful weapon from the dragon to individually reign over seven territories. The power of the Vanadis invokes dread and fear from their enemies. An earl in the service of the country of Brune, a young archer by the name of Tigre, experienced the Vandis's power firsthand after being defeated on the battlefield by Ellen. However, Ellen chose to spare his life after witnessing his skills, but in exchange, he is asked to serve her.
(~from MAL~)

*First episode* Impression etc.

Now, I am not the type that enjoys the genre ecchi... Unless it is such as NGNL^^

I already notice a few things in the first episode that could have been left out. Which is also directed to the way of cutting the scenes / introducing a certain character or plot point as it were. Yeah, I found it a bit wrongly executed.

The ecchi part is somehow tolerable for the moment. No idea how it will increase or something of course, that is the risk. But all in all, I will continue watching it.

I can't say i liked the first episode. Our main guy Tigre is not very interesting..he can shoot very well and is concerned about his village but for the rest he feels boring. Also the two main girls were already showing way too much interest in him. What happened to some build-up of feelings (which should be expected as they are in a war...)?
Also the story seems to jump forward fast which doesn't help either.
I will give it another chance but for now it is already below average..

This will probably be my guilty pleasure show of the season. Tits and Swords. I already get the feeling it's not gonna go any higher than mediocre, but still enjoyed watching parts of it.

Also most names in this show sound like they picked random letters from a hat and strung them together.

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Oct 04 2014, 11:15 AM) I can't say i liked the first episode. Our main guy Tigre is not very interesting..he can shoot very well and is concerned about his village but for the rest he feels boring. Also the two main girls were already showing way too much interest in him. What happened to some build-up of feelings (which should be expected as they are in a war...)?
Also the story seems to jump forward fast which doesn't help either.
I will give it another chance but for now it is already below average..
They "adapted" almost an entire visual novel volume into 20 minutes.

Figures that "unimportant" stuff like explanations, build up, character development, etc, were cut.

Its one cour show and they will rush through ~5 maybe 7 volumes from what I hear, so...

I ended up Marathoning this Friday since I didn't feel too good and needed something brainless to watch, and ended up enjoying it despite the flaws.

I found the concept kind of amusing, since it struck me as Robin hood thrown in a blender with a few other concepts. Recognizing the some of the ideas they were adapting helped considerably, because I was able to kind of guess at the parts they fast forwarded past in the breakneck pace of the adaptation.

As far as the cast goes, I'm curious to see what everyone is like when given a chance to develop beyond top level tropes. I'm ignoring Tigr since he was pretty obviously both a Shirou Expy and only sane man to make him a better reader avatar. Elen was very interesting leading lady as aside from being the pants wearer of the duo (figuratively speaking), I liked how her lack of a surface level filter made it hard to tell what her actual feelings towards Tigr were. Lim was pretty boring all in all, being effectively replaced by a bishonen by series end. The Maid left me wondering if Arawn knows where his loli got off to. Mila started weak and finished passable, being the token Japanese student empathy target character with absurd legacy pressure. (On a comical note, at least one character from the OP never even actually appeared in the show.)

The ending ended up being extremely rushed, but it was at least an ending. I enjoyed the story and at some point I'll check out the VNs to actually see the whole thing rather than the abridged version.

The OP is actually really good, too.

I'm giving it a 6/10, but it would be higher if they'd had more time for the story and hadn't failed at foreshadowing: Several of the battles had perfectly normal tactical tricks go unforeshadowed, turning them into pure asspulls. They also kept foreshadowing something with the Main character's bow that was not only never explained, they foreshadowed it again during the last minute of the finale, leaving it as an obnoxiously unanswered questions.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back