Mahou Sensei Negima: Ala Alba and Magical World

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Barbobot

-the Pirate King
Retired

Mahou Sensei Negima! ~Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba~
Animation: SHAFT + Studio Pastoral
Director: Akiyuki Shinbo
Original Creator: Ken Akamatsu
# of OADs: 3

Plot: After the exhilarating school life, Negi Springfield has finally decided to form his own combat team under the disguise of a normal school club; so called the Ala Alba or White Wing. Supported by his classmates and advised by Evangeline A.K. McDowell, this team was aim to embark into the Magus world in search of Negi's father, Nagi Springfield...or anything that may relate to him.
First episode covers chapters 176-177, second episode covers chapters 178-180, and the third episode covers chapters 182-183. (ANN)

Mahou Sensei Negima! ~Mou Hitotsu no Sekai~
Animation: SHAFT + Studio Pastoral
Director: Akiyuki Shinbo
Original Creator: Ken Akamatsu
# of OADs: 4

Plot: With the newly formed group Ala Alba, Negi and Co. begin their search for Negi's father by planning a trip to the Magical World. They first stop off at Negi's hometown before making the jump to the Magical World. When they arrive in the Magical World they are met with a few surprises, some more dangerous than others.

So, I had made a thread for the Another World OADs a little while back when the first episode had been released but apparently that thread has been lost to the vast depths of the interwebs. So here's a new one that combines both Ala Alba and Another World into a single thread. I figured why not since in style these two are related to each other and better than using the old Negima?! thread since that has so little to do with these.

Ala Alba was pretty good, but really just was a kinda fun, light part of the manga as Ala Alba is being formed. Then they finally go into action which is where Another World comes into play. Don't feel like reposting my thoughts of the first episode too much cause I'm lazy, but it was pretty fantastic. Really showed off the intense action that Akamatsu created for Negima and SHAFT/Pastoral did an excellent job animating it all.
Now for the 2nd episode, which was still just as fantastic though a bit lighter on the action compared to the first. Negi and co. are now split up with location and condition unknown to Negi and Chachamaru, who managed to stay together after the forced transportation magic. There are a few great scenes that I loved from the manga here, like Negi winding up Chachamaru. The obvious sexual overtones of it along with Negi's ignorance of that just makes it hilarious. Also the complete absurdity of the tentacle scene involving personal favorite Chisame is just too much and ridiculously funny partially because this so completely over-the-top incident had to occur to the most rational and logical thinking of the bunch. Then we finally get the introduction of Kotarou (as voiced by Marina Inoue) for the first time in animated form if I remember correctly. I think his voice worked for him and he had a great action scene with Negi.

All I can say is I can't wait for more and SHAFT/Pastoral/Shinbo should go back and do the whole Mahora Festival Arc as well.

Mou Hitotsu no Sekai (aka the Another World OAD), essentially shows what Negima can really do if animated/directed properly. Not only does it utilizes Shaft's ridiculous animation skills and budget, but the OAD actually has a plot that someone can wrap their heads around and stay interested. Although I have yet to watch the second episode, the first was definitely a great way to grab someone's interest if they chose to ignore the previous anime series (2005 and 2006 failed series....). Ala Alba wasn't bad, but wasn't fantastic either, but was definitely a good way to revive themselves from the dead for this series and it definitely seems that OAD works well for this series just like Tsubasa Chronicle.

Lolz....I thought it was a thread for the movie thats coming in 2011....being a fan of Love Hina....I really should try to watch and read everything related to this franchise.
rolleyes.gif

One thing came to mind with this part of the OVA as that was I was glad they kept in the tentacle part of this episode. I mean it almost went to being a borderline hentai with just that one part to it.
tongue.gif

Not another one of the these Shaft "Negima!?" abominations....

Actually it's following the manga my good friend so it's not really an abomination unless you're stating that the manga is one though.
wink.gif

QUOTE (Shinobu's_Lover @ Nov 30 2009, 06:55 PM) Not another one of the these Shaft "Negima!?" abominations....
SHAFT's "Negima?!" show has pretty much nothing to do with these two sets of OVAs as these directly follow Ken Akamatsu's manga. Same animation studio/director =/= exact same styling.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back