Mahou Sensei Negima ~Mo Hitotsu no Sekai~

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Barbobot

-the Pirate King
Retired

Mahou Sensei Negima ~Mo Hitotsu no Sekai~
Director: Akiyuki Shinbo
Animation: SHAFT & Studio Pastoral

Plot: The best arc of Negima has just gone underway as Negi and his team make their way to the magical world in hopes of finding any and all information about Negi's father, the legendary Thousand Master, Nagi Springfield. But plans don't go quite as planned as a certain villain's appearance possibly tears apart Negi's group from the very beginning.

I thought it about time we gave Negima a new thread. For the Ala Alba OVAs we just kinda kept using the old Negima?! thread, but this one I feel deserves a new one. I was so happy to see that the first episode of this 4 episode OVA has finally come out. Been waiting for this as the Magical World arc is definitely the best arc in all of the manga so far and is still going strong. On that note though I have no clue much ground these 4 OVAs will actually cover. There is so much that has happened so far in the magical world. Just this arc would warrant an entire series, or at least an extended OVA series, although the manga would first have to finish the arc before that could happen.

Anyway for this episode: I've read people call it a bit rushed, which it actually kinda is, but that doesn't bother me.  It wastes absolutely no time getting to the gate incident and the first showdown in the magical world.  And what a showdown it was.  Just like in the last OVA series of Ala Alba SHAFT/Pastoral has done an excellent job of taking Akamatsu's characters and animating them and unlike Ala Alba there are actual intense fight scenes to show off what they can do and how awesome Negima can be (something the original anime was so incapable of doing due to it being the worse part of the manga).  Such an awesome moment as Negi gets impaled and the danger that the group will be in completely sets in.  Can't wait to see more of Chisame (my personal favorite character) and finally Rakan will make an animated appearance.

Another spoiler that will contain more manga related hopes for the OVA: I can only wonder if they would be able to get far enough, but the Rakan vs Negi fight is probably the sole thing I would just absolutely love to see animated.  That fight was just of epic proportions in the manga and I would be ecstatic if they animate it.  If they do I'd see them keeping that more for the 4th OVA, or maybe they'd be planning it for the possible movie (assuming that the possible movie would even continue with this story).  But for them to get to that point in the story the 4 OVAs would have to either cover or skip parts of 40 chapters.  Also just for giggles and my love for Chisame I can't wait for the next episode and I wonder if they'd keep the tentacle scene with Chisame before Negi saves her. 

Well if the OVAs sell well tehy are planning on doing a full series on this part of the manga. Ironically they are a bit behind by a good 20+chapters with this story arc. Also, it's about time that the grils finally get thier abilities as well. By that I mean the ones that jumped in for the ride at the last minute.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Sep 21 2009, 10:13 PM) Well if the OVAs sell well tehy are planning on doing a full series on this part of the manga. Ironically they are a bit behind by a good 20+chapters with this story arc. Also, it's about time that the grils finally get thier abilities as well. By that I mean the ones that jumped in for the ride at the last minute.
Try 60+ chapters from the current chapter at the moment with this first OVA. And I had heard nothing of a TV series if these do well. I know they are definitely thinking of a movie if these OVAs do well, but not a TV series. Though I would love that.

When with this Shaft Shi..... travesty ever end!? Damn i HATE How Shaft keeps screwing up the Negima story and characters. WHEN WILL IT EVER END!? I've been in anime hell becasue of Their work with Negima since 2006!

Akamatsu STOP from making more of these horrific OVA/OADs already!

I just started to read the manga this past summer, and I was wondering, how far in do I have to read in order to understand whats happening in this OAD? I haven't reached the school festival part yet, which Barbo mentioned to me earlier, thats when it gets real good.... does the story in this OAD come after that?

This is pretty much around after the summer vacation chapters, and the trainning of the members from Negi's group that planned on going to the magical world to find out info about his father.

So they did keep true to the manga with this first OVA they just did. Besides I think they got enough complaints about them needing to be closer to the manga this time around. Especially since this arc is action baised up to the current chapter of course.

*edit*

Oh and yeah I meant to say movie since I had a dyslexic moment on my part when it came to the info. They will do a movie adaptation of the story arc, that's what I mean to say.

Julez, the Magical World arc starts roughly around chapter 170-180 or so. Your still a little ways away if you haven't reached the school festival yet.

And I still don't get what shinobu means by SHAFT screwing up Negima. Sure you can say they screwed up with the reimagining of Negima?!, which wasn't that good even if you weren't looking for a manga adaptation. But this OVA was pretty dam faithful to the manga. Maybe skipped a few parts to get to the gate faster, but still faithful.

Well after seeing the two OVAs I have to admit that this is one of the chapters they should of done in the first place. Not only that, but in the TV series did they actually do the School Festival at all?

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Dec 16 2009, 11:13 AM) Well after seeing the two OVAs I have to admit that this is one of the chapters they should of done in the first place. Not only that, but in the TV series did they actually do the School Festival at all?
The Mahora Festival arc has never been animated so far, which is a gigantic shame. Would still love to see it all animated.

So I heard a while back that this series 3rd episode was going to be released on may 17th, anyone have any word on that? I can't seem to find any info.

The DVD was probably released on that date, so give the subbers a week or so before they can do anything, I mean it's not like a TV broadcast.

I just finished watching the third one for the second time and this one really confuses me... Perhaps it's something that's covered in the manga that they skipped over since they assume you've been keeping up with them (though I also read they were being bundled with various manga volume release too.)

How is Negi switching his appearance in this one? He appears as a teenage/young adult version of himself through half of this episode then towards the end he's back to his original appearance. The same with Chachamaru and Chisame except they start off as chibi versions of themselves. Didn't they leave the small version of Chachamaru in the real world and transfer herself into that... um... more mature
wink.gif
body?

Again, maybe it's something covered in the manga and I just haven't reached that far into the story arc seeing as I'm just now starting it, however OAD #3 really confused me with the above statement along with the rapid progress they made after they left off from OAD #2.

QUOTE (obsan @ Jun 03 2010, 01:26 AM)

How is Negi switching his appearance in this one? He appears as a teenage/young adult version of himself through half of this episode then towards the end he's back to his original appearance. The same with Chachamaru and Chisame except they start off as chibi versions of themselves. Didn't they leave the small version of Chachamaru in the real world and transfer herself into that... um... more mature 
wink.gif
body?

It's a magic pill they got from Evangeline somewhere aroung Festival Arc..

Don't think they used it in the anime yet ^^

QUOTE (Lexter @ Jun 03 2010, 03:25 AM)
It's a magic pill they got from Evangeline somewhere aroung Festival Arc..

Don't think they used it in the anime yet ^^
whew that's a relief. For a minute there I thought they strayed from Negima! to Negima!?
laugh.gif

Yea, they decided to skip a LOT and breeze through stuff with only minor mentions so they could get to training with Rakan. Unfortunately doing that made this the weakest of the 3 OADs so far cause the pacing was all sorts of screwed up. I really thought that I had just missed a lot of the 2nd OAD when in the very beginning we see Negi announcing to everyone where to meet in the tournament.

But considering that these OADs ship with the actual manga volumes in Japan, it isn't surprising that they assume you have actually been reading the manga.

I enjoyed it, but I'm kind of dissapointed that they decided to time skip between episodes like that. Yeah, they cut out some boring setup eps, but it makes it impossible to watch unless you've read the manga first. I understand that they come with mangas, but it doesn't have the continuity and can only really be watched as a remembrance for manga readers.

Its a real shame that this was never given a full anime adaptation. I think this could have easily been a long and successful series if they didn't tack an anime original ending on the first one.

Well it seems that another part of the OAD is now out and it's all about Yue. The up side is they actually were pretty accurate with it like how it was in the manga. Also, I kind of liked how Yue had a vague recollection about Negi and about how she even had a Pacto Card and how to use it as well.

Not bad, I was hoping they'd animate that section. I thought it was really well done in the manga, but then again, that could be my witch bias showing. One thing that bothered me, does Patchou...err....Yue have a different voice actor? She doesn't sound as awesome and aloof as she did in the first two series.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back