Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Human Kyubey is always in a Sailor fuku/one-pice combo isn't it?

This is how Kyoko shouls have saved Sayaka: With a Kyo Missile!!

Watching ep. 11, and something's bothering me a lot...

Who the hell puts up a reproduction of "The Creation of Adam" in a bar??
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 21 2011, 07:55 PM) Watching ep. 11, and something's bothering me a lot...

Who the hell puts up a reproduction of "The Creation of Adam" in a bar??
rolleyes.gif

Funny...I was wondering the same thing...now, if you'll excuse me, back to Madoka and episode 12.
tongue.gif

Well, that ending made sense. Nothing completely unexpected, and a bit disappointed at the ex machina, but that was a reasonable outcome.

And all the otaku got their fill of yuri fanservice.

A very good ending indeed! And our little Madoka-chan whipped up a wish that even the pesky Incubator was shocked into fufilling..."Fulfill it, Inubator!" The ending was a bittersweet one to say the least, but Madoka proved wise in the end and she seemed to be able to tie it all up just as she wanted.
Liked how the final episode had her go back in time and cleanse those soul gems and the girls. Her family talking to Homura, was a little sad too...Madoka's mom saying she felt nostalgic when hearing the name "Madoka" and then, "Is this Madoka a friend (or something) of yours?" Homura giving her that knowing smile.
All in all, a good way to end, imo...gets an 8/10.

Anyone understood what happened at the end?
huh.gif

With Homura and her witch-like wings.
ohmy.gif

Then again, a good ending to a unique mahou shoujo anime.
smile.gif

The ending was as good as it coul get. I also liked the fact, they didnt make Madoka have a big show down fight, instead the problem was solved with the right wish. I liked that.... it is so unorthodox for an anime. And nobody died in the end....

I however found certains scenes towards the end confusing. Such as the talk with Mami and Kyouko at the tea table.... or the scene where the trio was fighting witches, but Madoka wasnt present and Mami and Kyouko didnt remember her. Also the scene with Sayaka in the concert hall was weird. I couldnt quite figure out, how it fits into the plot, it wasnt explained well.

But all in all it was a very good show and I am giving it a 9/10, the one point lost mainly to the somewhat unclear ending. I am not a big friend of interpretation endings.

QUOTE I however found certains scenes towards the end confusing. Such as the talk with Mami and Kyouko at the tea table.... or the scene where the trio was fighting witches, but Madoka wasnt present and Mami and Kyouko didnt remember her. Also the scene with Sayaka in the concert hall was weird. I couldnt quite figure out, how it fits into the plot, it wasnt explained well.

I just assumed it was to boost the audience's spirits, and simply showing off Madoka messing with reality.

BTW one thing I was disappointed with is Walpurgis Nacht witch, I was hoping she'd turn out to be Homura from another timeline - I mean, considering the design with clock gears and all. Instead, they turned Homura into the new Messiah of sorts :/

Also, when Madoka first articulated the wish (the way it sounded in the subs) I imagined her going around different timelines murdering innocent little babies before they could contract, haha.

Okay my review will contain some spoilers so read at your own risk! The series to me was good overall and I would rank it as the best series of the Spring 2011 season. Although I did find - and this is probably just me - that the start was a little on the slow side. It took me quite sometime to become fully engaged in the show and it was only until I past the fifth episode did I begin to take a strong liking towards it. I am not completely sure why this was the case; the beginning and it's dark overtones, unique battle visuals was certainly unexpected and should really be taken as welcome departure from the recent anime series we see today particularly in the magical girl genre. I guess, if I had to put my figure on why it took me so long to warm-up to the series it was because of its dark nature and reoccurring theme of sacrifice which left me somewhat depressed. My mood around the time probably did not help either so that could have contributed to my initial reluctance to watching Madoka.

After this slight hesitation however I found the series gripping and I was eager to watch each episode. The identity, motivations and character development of each cast member was well done and the twists and turns were equally good. I was just a little disappointed with the ending. Like Ausdoerrt, I did have an initial feeling that Walpurgis would be Homura from some other time-line but I hesitated on this fact because it was never hinted or even suggested that her stone was corrupted. However that was not the main point why I felt the ending was a little weak; I just felt the way Madoka solved everything by changing the laws of the universe, by being present in all time-lines and almost being omnipresence gave her a god like power. Okay I can understand that Homura time travelling back repeatedly would amplify her powers but to the degree she became almost god like? I also know Madoka was careful when constructing her wish but still, the power she achieved was so excessive it seemed like it was a deus ex machina. I just lost my suspension of disbelief with this, it was a bit too much. Although on the bright side of things, it was a different way of ending the series and could be seen as refreshing, as warita already suggested.

All in all this was a series I would recommend most people to watch and it was good, solid and entertaining for the most part. To me personally the beginning was slow but I can understand many who will disagree with me there. The ending was a little weak in my opinion also but again others may like it more than I did. In the end though I give Mahou Shoujo Madoka a 8/10.

Ok i got to say i LOVED the show and though the ending was appropriate. AND that the power Madoka gained was NOT Plotdevice-arific like some are suggesting as its been the hint made by the show from the Very FIRST episode. We had to know that if she did something she would do something BIG, though i would have loved a much more involved set of fight scenes for the finale.

Still 3 things i wanted to comment on more directly.

Ok first thing. Watching the show especially the end when Madoka spoke her line to the Walpurgisnacht it seemed like that was interposed with Homura... So it Being her from from a despairing future doesn't seem far fetched at all. In fact it seemed almost like IT was getting more powerful with every incarnation as well... which would explain why Homura was having such a hard time of it, every time she herself got stronger it did too.

Second, the scenes with Mami and Kyoko made perfect sense to me, as Madoka broke the chain of events that killed them since they died without breaking down into becoming witches, which seems to be the real sticking point for whether or not she could bring someone back (especially since they were both effectively killed by witches which no longer exist). On the other hand Sayaka seemed to have been fated for a breakdown and since she 'died' in becoming a witch the only way to save her would have been to break her wish. The whole thing with them and Madoka talking is her telling them about what she did/is doing/will do while the process is still going on, at that point she had the option. Later on after she is removed temporally by Beating herself they are still around but like everyone else has forgotten her except for small echos left behind.

Third though is the REAL scary part. Cause you see the thing Madoka did it seems was that she SEPARATED the Despair from the SOUL.... which means she saved every girl who has ever been or ever could be a witch... but the despair that made them that and the magic behind it seems to have been left behind for everyone else to deal with. Which fortunate for the girls means much less angst and PROBABLY a far slower rate of degradation in most cases... but it leaves one big problem... Shit like Walpurgisnacht and Madoka herself as a witch would have left behind ALOT of Malice and Despair, and even if they aren't as concentrated as they would be in a single soul there's still a or several Madoka super-beasts around to spell Massive amounts of Doom.
Though on the other hand is it me or did it seem that the accumulated despair of the gem got a separation system? Which kinda means that Kyubi's ilk decided that since they couldn't do the convenient thing and collect the despair all at once, they gave the girls a collection system (which solves the problem of using Grief Seeds to cleanse.)

@Xicree, thanks for your explanations. I havent understood your last paragraph at all, but the previos paragraphs explained some of the open questions for me. Seems that you put more thinking into it then I did!!!
laugh.gif

You are however mistaken about Sayaka. You said Sayaka died because she became a witch, so there was no other way to save her, but to prevent her from making the wish and thats not true. Because Madoka can go back to that moment, when Sayakas soul gem started turning into a grief seed and purify it, hence the scene in the concert hall still didnt make any sense.
In case Madoka was indeed trying to dissuade Sayaka from making that wish, it was probably for a different reason, maybe Sayaka regretted that wish after making it, because in the end, she couldnt buy his love with it and she realised that it was the wrong thing to wish for. It is well possible, that Madoka knew this and tried to show Sayaka, that this isnt the right path.

I am leaning more towards Ausdorrents explanation, that the scenes were supposed to show the audience, how Madoka goes from dimension to dimension and fixes the world. I still think it could have been done in a more clear way though....

Ok with episode 11 I have to say that Homerun was really going all out in that fight, but later on got into trouble because of it as well. I mean she nearly broke down if Modaka didn't come in to save her last minute there.

Now onto epsidoe 12. Well since it was explained that Modaka has the karmic ability to take on anything and everything in this world. Not only that, but it pretty much changed her from being a Maho Loli to outright Goddess here.
tongue.gif

As for the concert hall with Modaka and Sayaka it was pretty much Modaka giving her a proper send-off since Sayaka did want to see her firend play in concert once again. So it made perfect sense why those two were in the concert hall to begin with. Besides Modaka thought that it would of been hard on Sayaka if she had her wish broken like that, so she left things as-is for her, since she had no regrets over her wish. Just that she was unable to be with him that's all.
wink.gif

In any case my guess about the magical bests now are really Modaka piecing out the dispair she accumulated from the past and future witches so the Maho Lolis have something to still hope for.

Still in both epsidoes we had what would be considered as a yuri-like pairing until things changed of course. I mean Homerun was alsmot abotu to try it once more since she was going to lose her friend once and for all this time, but luckilly Modaka talked her out of it. And with that it seems that Homerun's attack ability changed from time stop to a bow here. Which makes me think she still has feelings for Modaka even though she can never see her again in her lifetime though.

In any case I have to say that it was well worth the wait.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Apr 22 2011, 04:45 PM)Still in both epsidoes we had what would be considered as a yuri-like pairing until things changed of course. I mean Homerun was alsmot abotu to try it once more since she was going to lose her friend once and for all this time, but luckilly Modaka talked her out of it. And with that it seems that Homerun's attack ability changed from time stop to a bow here. Which makes me think she still has feelings for Modaka even though she can never see her again in her lifetime though.

In any case I have to say that it was well worth the wait.
There was no yuri pairing in those episodes. I think you should just let this one go and keep the wishful thoughts strictly to fanfiction stories.
wink.gif
It certainly did not happen in the main series unless you take the line she is everywhere and anywhere to the literal level. Then maybe you can have your yuri fantasies. But there was just nothing of the sort occurring in those last two episodes.

I'm sorry but the whole "I hug you in an enclosed space while we both wear nothing at all" isn't implied yuri then I don't know what is.
rolleyes.gif

Besides Homerun was pretty much bawling her eyes out to see that her best friend is no longer going to be part of her existence, but becomming a force of nature unto itself.
tongue.gif

Also, in episode 11 pretty much Homerun hugged Modaka since she stated that she got to know her a whole lot due to jumping back in time just to try and save her. Besides it seems like she was getting a bit emotional over what was yet to come, and hoped that she could prevent Modaka from becomming a Maho Loli.

In any case implied or no, I still managed to see a yuri setup between those two, and quite frankly I'm not budging on that issue mind you.
tongue.gif

QUOTE There was no yuri pairing in those episodes. I think you should just let this one go and keep the wishful thoughts strictly to fanfiction stories.

There was enough for a sick mind that swings that way to be encouraged though
tongue.gif

Does anyone know if the earthquake caused any changes to be made to the last two episodes? I just wonder that certain events may have been removed if they had relevance to the disaster.

Thanks for the compliment there Aus-san.
tongue.gif

Even if that wasn't directed at me I'd still take that as a compliment.
laugh.gif

As for the dealings with the earthquake... well I'm not sure deadlylazers-san. I think they just held off showing it since there was a natural disater that struck the country and more or less a supernatural disater kind of strikes the town this takes place in. So my guess is I'm not to sure, but I kind of doubt it though.

QUOTE Even if that wasn't directed at me I'd still take that as a compliment.

Not really, just a general comment. You know something will spawn yuri doujins when you see it. Feel free to take it personally though, if you derive satisfaction from it
laugh.gif

That was the most satisfying deus ex machina ending I have ever seen because there is a logical rationale behind it happening. Which I guess means it really wasn't a deus ex machina ending. Even though I couldn't help suspect that it would end in such a way, it was still really well done and effectively tugged the heartstrings. I will definitely watch this series again and hope the rumors of a happy reboot come to fruition. I give it a 9/10.

QUOTE (deadlylazers @ Apr 22 2011, 07:33 PM)Does anyone know if the earthquake caused any changes to be made to the last two episodes? I just wonder that certain events may have been removed if they had relevance to the disaster.

I don't know for sure but I think it's just that Walpurgis manifesting itself to those not in the know as a natural disaster which had them moving to shelters was too close to home at the originally scheduled time of airing.

I had watched this Froday morning but I could post anything due to the fact I had to make sure I would start tearing up again after watching the last episode thinking about Madoka before my classes started (took almost in hour). That ending was very bittersweet

Episode 11: And so Sayaka's body was found. I didn't think it was possible but Kyubey pulled off the 'evil smirk'. Was surprised with Kyubey explained that their the reason humans advanced though the comparison to cattle was disturbing in a way. But there was also finding out that Cleopatra, Himeko, and Jeanne D'Arc were Pullea Magi, the blew my mind. The fight scene with Homura against the WPN was epic for me. Homuira was going beyond full-auto on that witch and it didn't faze it at all. It just laughed like it was fun (creepy). I'm pretty sure if they ended the episode right where Homura's SG was dimming and had us wait a week, people would rage

Episode 12 had me bawling my eyes out though most of the episode especially the part with Homura and Junko. that hit the hardest for me. Kyubey's reaction to the wish was good since he got the short end of the stick with that one. It was sad that Madoka gives up her existence for the wish and becomes a concept and that no one but Homura and Madoka's little brother remembered her anymore. Kyubey become more likable for me, Sayaka decided to die to keep Kamijou's future alive, and Homura probably got more powerful with the angel (and later witch) wings

“Don’t forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone.” - best quote and Madoka goes into my favorites

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back