Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Im quite surprised and disappointed. I really liked Mami up till now but then her sudden emotional bs and her death killed it a bit. Especially her emotional bs. I really thought she was a great character without those sentimental trash called humanity.
And Im a bit disappointed at how she died. I mean she just took it without doing anything against it. That was imo totally out-of-character in my eyes since she was totally different the last two eps. And I dont think that just beeing happy to get a partner would be able to do that much. Bad writing here.
Sure the death was good to show that this anime really isnt some happy-go-lucky thing, but still the was the least character I wanted to die. If it was Madoka it wouldve been far better since she is totally unlikeable and useless as she even herself says. Or Akemi since I dont like her arrogant way either.

But I dont know why but I dont think we saw the last of Mami. I just have that feeling.

@khael: I think youre mistaking Sayaka and Mami. Sayaka is the one with the bat and Mami the one with the guns, not the other way round.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I got the name wrong lol.

And Kid, we still don't know if Madoka can or will revive Mami.

Well if this series was done by anyone other that Shaft I would say yes, but for some reason I kind of doubt that. Besides it'll ruin the whole mood for this series that she up so far. I mean this seems more like a gritty maho loli series, so why would they change it to your rn of the mill magical loli series?

Besides this seems more natural since when you fight for your beliefs at times you tend to put you life on the line for it.

While I'm not surprised that someone died, it was still a pretty shocking scene. But considering this is written by the guy who wrote Phantom: Requiem for a Phantom, nobody should have expected this to be cute and happy magical girl show.

I think they very well might revive Mami, but I don't think it will turn out the way Madoka might like it too. I think the whole "be careful what you wish for theme" has been too strongly emphasized for them not to miss the opportunity to use it with Mami's death. In fact, I think her death may very well have been tied to her wish. She may have wished in that car crash "don't let me die alone" in which case, right after Madoka committed to being her comrade... *CRUNCH*

Killer_O,

Mami didn't let it happen. There was a dramatic freeze frame to let you soak in the horror of what was about to happen.

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Jan 22 2011, 08:23 AM) While I'm not surprised that someone died, it was still a pretty shocking scene. But considering this is written by the guy who wrote Phantom: Requiem for a Phantom, nobody should have expected this to be cute and happy magical girl show.

I think they very well might revive Mami, but I don't think it will turn out the way Madoka might like it too. I think the whole "be careful what you wish for theme" has been too strongly emphasized for them not to miss the opportunity to use it with Mami's death. In fact, I think her death may very well have been tied to her wish. She may have wished in that car crash "don't let me die alone" in which case, right after Madoka committed to being her comrade... *CRUNCH*

Killer_O,

Mami didn't let it happen. There was a dramatic freeze frame to let you soak in the horror of what was about to happen.
Even though Gen Urobuchi wrote Phantom, Fate/Zero, and part of Blassreiter, I'm still shocked to see it happen this early on. For better or for worse Shinbou has done it again with another mahou shoujo show, i.e. the "plot twist" at around episode 3 and 4. Whether or not they can keep up the momentum is another issue.

The biggest problem I see with the wishes at the moment is the fact that the "terms" or boundaries of the wishes have not been clearly defined, e.g. can they wish for infinite wishes, revival of the dead, etc... very extreme like cases.

As for the episode itself, for what felt like a filler-ish episode, I'm impressed with how it turned into a very dark theme very quickly and I'm also glad to see that while they keep using the same formula every episode, they mix it up significantly when it comes to the action scenes.

I'm more curious as to what's Homura's magical powers though given the way she fought in this episode. Either way, it seems my idea of Mami being the antagonist of this show may have just gone out the window unless Shinbou pulls a Gainax-like stunt.

The one thing that bugged me this episode, however, was the dramatic decrease in quality. This is most notable early on in the episode where details are poorly drawn such as background and facial expressions, as well as character designs in general. While Ume Aoki is the character designer, it felt too Hidamari Sketch comedy-like for this show. I really hope they don't bring Mami back unless they have a legitimate reason to. It really helped set the stage for the show and characters that died should essentially stay dead. It helps build the suspense for the show and provides "meaningful" development rather than saying "oh hey it's almost as if the show never happened" by the time the final episode rolls around

QUOTE Well if this series was done by anyone other that Shaft I would say yes, but for some reason I kind of doubt that. Besides it'll ruin the whole mood for this series that she up so far. I mean this seems more like a gritty maho loli series, so why would they change it to your rn of the mill magical loli series?

Well. For one, you could have her revived just to get killed all over again... Or something much more sinister and dark.

Seriously though, I really can't see a motivation for Madoka to become a Mahou Loli now that she's seen one of her friends get eaten by a giant jack in the box.

It'd stay that way methinks, unless she revives Mami. Though I don't think it should be that easy. If it plays out this way, I hope the little critter will have Madoka collect enough magical energy by beating witches before he can revive Mami for her instead of just *poof* Mami's alive! Yay for our nutbladders!

Add to the effort of beating witches the "be careful what you wish for" cliche and boom! You might just get an Elric brothers-ish traumatizing experience!

Ok with episode 4 it seems that they aren't going to rez Mami at all. Although it looks like there is going to be heel to pay by the next episode. I only state this since I get this bad feeling that the wish for that boy to play the violin again is going to backfire in the most tradgic and darkest of ways I'll bet. Not only that but it looks like we got another magical loli that wants to undercut the rookie that took Mami's place here.

Why do I get this bad feeling that someone's going to almost get killed by the next episode?
unsure.gif

Did anyone understand the sensei's lesson at all? I went though it a few times and still had no idea what she was talking about?

ON another note, I'm really starting to like the soundtrack for this show. It kinda reminds me of .hack for some reason.

Well the teacher was complaining mostly about her sexlife during class and somehow implimenting it into the lesson somehow.

As for the sound track of this series it reminds me more of the Kara no Kyoukai sound track instead since Kalifina did do that series as well.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu @ Jan 27 2011, 10:25 PM) ON another note, I'm really starting to like the soundtrack for this show. It kinda reminds me of .hack for some reason.
That would be because Kajiura Yuki is a goddess of music.

I'm liking where this is headed after ep 4. It no longer feels as if they happened upon a chance to become Puella Magi, but more like they are being forced into situations where it becomes almost necessary to them. The characters seem to have little control over the direction of the world around them and are flailing wildly in hopes of grabbing something, which is the perfect atmosphere for this series. Most of all, its melancholic and depressing without going overly emo, which is hard to pull off for a extended duration of time.

I'm having a hard time to find things dislikeable with this series, maybe Madoka's future costume? I guess that means they're doing a damn fine job.

I think if I were one of those two girls I would beat that white fluffy ding to death for always smiling and beeing happy even though Mami died. And I would become a Mahou Shoujo especially because Mami died. To revenge her and make all the witches pay with the most horrible deaths.

I can understand why Mami and Akemi are leading a lonely life after all they can vanish every second and its kinda hard to explain to friends or family that you have to go somewhere even though it could be in the middle of the night.

Sayaka beeing a knight totally suits here and she looks good in it (could use more breast but its ok ^^). But I dont know if making the contract and risking her life really isnt a price to high just so that that guy can feel his hand again, especially because she doesnt really benefit from it and if I risk my life then at least it should benefit me, but thats just my opinion.
But yes I too think that will backfire somehow.

And I still think that Madoka will rez Mami, but Mami wont be happy about it. Maybe she turns in a witch or something even more hateful through that? Wouldnt be surprised.

What is interesting to know would be if the witches only can make feelings stronger (like the feeling to kill yourself) or if they can make someone suicidal who wouldnt even think of something like that. I mean Hitomi didnt look like she would kill herself until now, but you never know, maybe shes only hiding it. That would give Madoka and Sayaka another problem.

@wedora: Finding something dislikeable with this series? How about Madoka as a whole? Shes still totally useless and uninteresting.

This should be called Puella Madoka Crybaby. Now I can only see Mami's being alone as a plot device to make killing her off much easier.

I give up on speculating lol, but Sayaka will probably in deep shit by next episode, if not dead.

Talk about making an anime that breaks from the traditional mould...if some little girls watching this like other standard magical girl show, they would probably get traumatized.

I thought this was supposed to be just another generic magical girl show...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCciU82Bbl8

Haha great video Marine. I bet the Gin, Kagura and Shinpachi really would react that way to seeing that episode of Mahou Shoujo Madoka
laugh.gif

Kyuubey really creeps me out, how he was sitting there on the windowsill, ready and knowing that Sayaka was ready to sell her soul in order to save Kamijou. Yes, Kyuubey is the devil, I'm sure of it.
tongue.gif
I don't think I can look at anything cutesy again without thinking that it has evil intentions.

Ok with episode 5 it seems that pretty much the whole thing with this series is pretty much a basic food chain here. where familiars become whitches by eating humans and magical girls eating said witches. Kind of a wierd but locial cycle if you ask me though.

In any case it feels like every time Modaka is with any magical girl she always feels like she is cornered into wanting to become a magical loli to save her friend it seems.

As agitating as it sounds it seems like Kyuubey is pretty much hoping to have Modaka to sell off her soul to become a magical loli it seems. I get this feeling that the more contracts that thing gets the more dangerous it'll be eventually in this series. Although that's just a theory of mine of course.

Madoka must have a really tasty soul, since Kyubey seems mostly interested in her making a contract with him. Every time they show Kyubey the word EVIL blares in my head.
The action scenes were animated extremely well this episode, I loved watching Sayaka and Kyouko fight. It was especially cool when Sayaka stopped Kyouko's blade with her own. I also wonder how Homura can make a contract with Kyubey and at the same time not make a contract with him?
blink.gif
That's what Kyubey said isn't it? Sounds confusing, and I hope we will learn more about Homura's background soon since she is my fave mahou shoujo in this show.

So I think this is my first major case of VA deja-vu. I can't stop thinking about Konoka from Negima with the new girl. Needless to say, the two characters are practically polar opposites and I'm having brain lock when watching the series now. Well, I guess this was the perfect series to have the issue with since everything is so fubared anyway. It wouldn't even surprise me at this point if Kyuubey suddenly showed some huge fangs and started eating people randomly.

I'm predicting we'll see the effect of a magical girl "starving" pretty soon (not getting enough seeds). My guess is the boy whose injuries she healed will start deteriorating if she doesn't collect enough seeds. If stuff like that happens, this series could most certainly continue down a very dark spiral into quite a few possible interesting bad endings. I'm intrigued.

For a moment I really thought that either Madoka makes her wish or that Sayaka dies. I wouldnt have thought that Akemi joins the fight. I wonder what her intention is in doing so.

I must say I totally dont like that new girl and her shitty arrogant attitude. And how she picks on my cute, sexy Knight Sayaka. I hope she dies. Really cruely.

So now it should be clear that Mami wont come back since Akemi said people cant get resurrected. But whos says that she really knows it. And she couldve lied knowing that Madoka could want to wish Mami back and thus destroying her hope so that Madoka doesnt becoma a Mahou Shoujo.

Yeah could be that she does not want Madoka to be one, I also agree with the shady part of Kyubey, but I also remember the first episode, where Madoka has her dream. So in a way Kyubey knows how strong Madoka actually is. Maybe the wish can be for people to be resurrected, but it will be known until she asks Kyubey.

Also maybe the wish of Homura was not fulfilled, and she still became a mhou shoujo, hence why she made the contract, but was not valid. It will be told what Kyubey ment by that later on.

Also it was mentioned that they need the seeds to cleans their crystals, forgot the name of the thing they receive once the contract is made. If they do not clean it, I guess something bad happens to them, or they become witches IMO.

I think Kyubei could mean that she was made a Mahou Shojou by Kyubei but not the one we currently see. You know he could only be one of 100 Kyubeis in the world. So she is and is not made by him.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back