Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Ok with episode 6 we kind of learned that a soul gem works as long as it's withing 100m radius of the girl's body now. Also, Kyubey is still hoping to get Modaka's delicious delicous soul still. Although with knowing that your soul is ripped out of your body to fight against witches now that is a concept that is new to me.

As for Homura we still don't know what's her deal, but the only guess is she's using someone else's body with her soul gem. that might be the only reason why Kyubey said she did and yet she didn't make a contract with her as of this episode though.

With episode 6, two things are official,

1. Kyubey eats with his back, and I get the feeling that's not his real body.

2. Mahou lolis literally sell their souls to little furry demons. I thought it was weird how Kyuey got Sakuya's soul gem. Now I why: That little furball rips out your soul leaving you semi-immoral since you can just replace your body. only restriction: your soul can't be 100 meters away from the empty shell that is your body. With this info, I wonder if Mami's soul gem was still intact or was it eaten.

Ah-ah, this seriously messed with my perception of Magical girls in general. Now that I think about it, I was reminded of Claymore a bit when Sakuya was using the Grief Seed. In Claymore, if they used too much power, they became monsters, so maybe the mahou lolis become witches or that Walpurgisnacht (Is that a thing or time of something. either way sounds bad.) they mentioned.

with episode 6 we get another thing oficial.
Alcohol is good for you so teach your children to drink and make mistakes.

QUOTE (khael @ Jan 22 2011, 12:35 AM) Finally, I must say, Kyubei looked seemed kinda disturbing in this episode. A Mahou Loli died and all he did was "tilt-head-am-I-kawaii-uguu~".
To be honest, I had a hunch that Kyubey was the devil's advocate since the beginning, and this episode more or less further confirms that idea. His engulfing of the grief seeds and the fact that he hid such an important fact from the magical girls raises further suspicion about his actions. The question now is, who are the witches truly as bad as Kyubey defines them as.

On another note Homura said that Walpurgis night is approaching in two weeks. Hopefully that literally translates to 2 episodes from now so that we can get some serious action rolling again. While I appreciate the significant plot advancement, I was hoping for something bigger as we hit the 6th or 7th episode of the show.

On another another note, I'm enjoying how Madoka is the titular character but has not yet actually become a magical girl yet. Maybe my assumptions about her not getting her powers until the 10th or 11th episode will come true. What I will find amusing is if the staff don't make her a magical girl at all in this show, though I will find her continuous whining annoying to the very end then.

Very disturbing revelation as mentioned earlier on the soul gem, and I was wondering why Kyubey said to Madoka, you should not throw your friends away like that. Then I saw Sayaka and was like no way. They are dragin Madoka tobecome a mahou shoujo, but I am guessing that she is not needed right now. As how we saw her dream, I think that willhappen and then she will have no choice. Might me on the night the other witches are waiting for.

Kyubey's true intentions will be revealed later on or at the end of the series, look forward to the revelation. Also Kyubey mentions that Madoka is stronger then any other mahou shoujo, but he has not seen her in action, kinda makes me wonder. Now just waiting for the next episode.

Yeah Kyubei really is evil. I wonder if hes not the one too whos making people into witches as payment for cursing or killing someone.
I really liked how he was saying that the response is always the same when he tells someone about the Soul Gems. But that really raises the question about Mami, since she shouldve been able to heal herself. Or did Kyubei take her Soul Gem to let Mami intentionally die to bring Madoka to the point of wanting to be a Mahou Shoujo?

Finally we saw Homura actually with another facial expression. But why was she so concerned about Sayakas Soul Gem? With what Madoka did everything wouldve been solved for her. I knew she was lying to Kyouko, but what is she doing and what is her goal.

I really liked the talk between Madoka and her mother and its true what she said. Its better to learn how to handle problems and mistakes early on or youre f*cked.

@Xanadu: What, you dont know about Walpurgisnacht? Its THE night of the witches where their power is the strongest. Its usually on 30. April.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Feb 13 2011, 11:57 AM) But that really raises the question about Mami, since she shouldve been able to heal herself. Or did Kyubei take her Soul Gem to let Mami intentionally die to bring Madoka to the point of wanting to be a Mahou Shoujo?
Kyubey didn't take anything. While it is a mystery as to why Mami stood there and let herself get killed, it's more likely the case that Kyubey knew Mami had no chance of winning. Recall that Homura said that the witch that time was on a whole different level. The other thing is that Kyubey said that the witch at the time still had some time before it "hatched" when in reality it hatched actually quite soon. This leads me to believe that Kyubey knew everything all along and indeed did want Sayaka, and especially Madoka to contract with him eventually. Hoping that situation would do it, Kyubey probably kept quiet and let Mami die. Of course, Homura has so far been outside his calculations and is probably trying to find a way to deal with her constant interference.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Feb 13 2011, 12:57 PM) @Xanadu: What, you dont know about Walpurgisnacht? Its THE night of the witches where their power is the strongest. Its usually on 30. April.
No I didn't. Though I looked it up after posting

Thanks to the ass kicking and arm twisting of two loveable MAL buddies, I have started watching this one and can already tell, after three episodes, I will enjoy it. Don't have much to add to the current discussion since I am behind three episodes. However, I agree with some of what is stated herein, with regards to poor Mami-chan, her premature and I think, calculated death...that Kyubey is way too "cutesy" for my tastes...
dry.gif

I bet he/she is a black ball of evil personified. But hell, what do I know? I've only just begun my adventure with this series...
wink.gif

After episode three, here's what got me hooked:
1. Homura! ( A true heroine, with her feet solidly planted and sensible. Not cocky).
2. Shinbou! (Soul Taker, Bakemonogatari...love the animation style, sleek and dark).
3. Kajiura! (The composer behind the lovely music for Bakumatsu and Pandora Hearts).
May revise my post after I watch the three other episodes awaiting me...

Wow...am caught up now. Anyway, agree with all that has been already stated about the mysterious Kyubey and wonder too, where his true intentions may lie. The way he tries to twist it all...passive/aggressive and so sly when making such obvious suggestions...(well, to us viewers, we could be screaming at Madoka to get it together and wake up). She's just too emotional to be of any consequence, at least for now. But I gotta hand it to her, I am sure if we could see behind that odd looking head-tilt glance that Kyubey tosses her way, we would see that he is enraged and mad as all hell, as she keeps stalling on him when all he wants is to take full possession of her soul and send her into magical girl hell like he has done with all the others.
Homura-chan may be portrayed as cold and calculating but like all of you, I want to know what she knows. Man, oh man, I wanna know why she tried to kill that pesky weasel in the first place...that's just what he is too...a dark and deadly demon weasel.
tongue.gif

Pretty much he's like the devil in those classic stories about musicians wanting to make it big in certain places. Although the only difference here is it's all about lolis becoming magical lolis in which could cost them more than thier lives but thier souls as well. Best thing about this series is how Kubey says that no one has ever asked what he does to turn them into a magical girl before, and why should he care kind of deal.

In the end I'm sure something along the line of this series Modaka is going to wish her friend was no longer a magical girl so she can be with the guy she likes. this is just my wild guess on my part though.

Although I kind of guessed that wishing for the betterment of others ends up where in becomes midly tragic to earth shattering tragic.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 17 2011, 11:51 PM) Pretty much he's like the devil in those classic stories about musicians wanting to make it big in certain places. Although the only difference here is it's all about lolis becoming magical lolis in which could cost them more than thier lives but thier souls as well. Best thing about this series is how Kubey says that no one has ever asked what he does to turn them into a magical girl before, and why should he care kind of deal.

In the end I'm sure something along the line of this series Modaka is going to wish her friend was no longer a magical girl so she can be with the guy she likes. this is just my wild guess on my part though.

Although I kind of guessed that wishing for the betterment of others ends up where in becomes midly tragic to earth shattering tragic.
Wolfie-san! You may change your mind after you watch episode 7 if you have not already. Don't read my spoiler tag until after you watched it.
wink.gif

Episode 7
A sad episode. Love it seems, is a complicated thing for a young, dead magical girl. Sayaka-chan knew it too and had to give him up to a friend. Damn! Her fight at the end of the episode, was full of pain and regret. Made me sad to watch her self-destruct.
sad.gif

Yeah hence what I stated, since episode 7 you kind of get that feeling that Modaka would do something like that. I mean her friend is pretty much going out of her way to get hurt and pretty much is now starting to end up rather insane. Sooner or later I get this feeling that she'll "break" anything that get's in her way, like a certain loli vampire from a game series that I know of.
wink.gif

I mean when you pretty much have nothing left to lose now you tend to do off the wall things it seems.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 17 2011, 11:57 PM) Yeah hence what I stated, since episode 7 you kind of get that feeling that Modaka would do something like that. I mean her friend is pretty much going out of her way to get hurt and pretty much is now starting to end up rather insane. Sooner or later I get this feeling that she'll "break" anything that get's in her way, like a certain loli vampire from a game series that I know of.
wink.gif

I mean when you pretty much have nothing left to lose now you tend to do off the wall things it seems.
True...true, but it will cost Sayaka-chan her life and well, at the moment, she does not give a s*** does she? What a well told story of well intentioned meanings/wishes only to be destroyed by sheer evil and darkness and regret...and at such a young age too. The girls who are considered unworthy to carry the banner of a Puella Magica are damn lucky! My only hope is that little Madoka-chan will figure it all out and somehow also, send the little trickster "you never asked" back into the deep bowels of the darkest hell.
wink.gif

The story here is well done, though the drawing could be a ton better. I get the feeling that there is someone who has no idea about how to draw anime/manga driving this one. I'm rather confused though. We're half way through the season and Madoka, the main character as declared in the title, is still not a magical girl. There isn't a manga to get an idea as to how many episodes this title may have, yet. They claim they are going to be releasing three concurrent series, one main and two spin offs, while the show is still airing on tv, so maybe they are dragging it out because there are plans for all three series to be a part of the anime release as a whole. The confusing part is, there have been several very good opportunities for the declared main character to jump into the meat of the story but the author passed them up to drag it out more. I guess I'll have to play wait and see since they seem to be producing the anime first then the manga on this one. As to Kyubey, taking a scene from the first episode, he appears to already know what is going to happen,i.e. omnipresent or from the future, and is simply pushing this way and that to get things lined up so that Madoka will be ready to fight whatever it is that Homura can't defeat in the first episode.

i think kyubei is a demon, although i belive he is a low level demon and not one of those powerfoul ones you usaly see, his actions are to evil to be anything other than a demon if you ask me.

btw here is a picture i found that i wish would be cannon (witch it will never be for obvius reasons (put it in spoiler tag for size but don't worry there is no spoiler in the picture.))
e73512564aa5825464ca88ee1404afac.jpg

Even though this show is really good, I wondered why I always hesitate to watch the new episode. I think I know on of the reasons now: Kyubey

Seeing Sayaka at the end of this episode reminded me a little of the masou shojou Kyoko from Kore wa Zombie. Am I the only one who thinks that?

Also, nice pic Vampe, that can go with my pic of Kyubey getting pounded by Touma's Imagine Breaker if I can find it again

sorry 4 encasing the whole coment in spoiler tags... there's too many spoilers to make sense otherwise.

in episode 7 kyubei says  humans are not even aware of their souls; and then "i took your souls out and gave them a form so they'd be easier to keep safe".

if this is true.... then how come Mami stopped being  a magic girl the second her head is bitten?

Even if you are not aware of how the machinery works, it still works as intended. shouldn't Mami's body try to regenerate the head? she had enough magic to make it at least partially... heck if kyubei is right, the body should have continue acting on it's own accord headless and all... 
at the very least she should not die before the magic runs out, or the gem is destroyed....
seeing how this is the turning point for both sayaka and madoka. It bothers me that everything is so convenient. ( no body, no family, no headless body trying to make sense of the situation... )

My opinion, this show is as plagued by lazy writting as it is by lazy drawing

QUOTE (b.o.w @ Feb 18 2011, 11:22 PM) if this is true.... then how come Mami stopped being  a magic girl the second her head is bitten?

Even if you are not aware of how the machinery works, it still works as intended. shouldn't Mami's body try to regenerate the head? she had enough magic to make it at least partially... heck if kyubei is right, the body should have continue acting on it's own accord headless and all... 

From what I see, only Sayaka is a regan-type and to answer your question... I think Kyubey means that the soul would die if the body died with the soul still in it. He removes it so that the soul lives on after the body dies. The body will still act like normal as long as the soul gem is in the safe zone only difference is the there is no sense off pain.

Oh yes I found the pic I was looking for:
illusions16364911.jpg

QUOTE (b.o.w @ Feb 18 2011, 11:22 PM)sorry 4 encasing the whole coment in spoiler tags... there's too many spoilers to make sense otherwise.

in episode 7 kyubei says  humans are not even aware of their souls; and then "i took your souls out and gave them a form so they'd be easier to keep safe".

if this is true.... then how come Mami stopped being  a magic girl the second her head is bitten?

at the very least she should not die before the magic runs out, or the gem is destroyed....
seeing how this is the turning point for both sayaka and madoka. It bothers me that everything is so convenient. ( no body, no family, no headless body trying to make sense of the situation... )

My opinion,  this show is as plagued by lazy writting as it is by lazy drawing

First actual comment that I've made on this site, so I'm not sure of what needs to be spoiler'd. I'll just put the two sentence response in spoilers.

It makes sense if you consider that Mami's gem takes the form of a flower-shaped thing on her head. Also, Charlotte chews her head for a bit before she reverts and drops, so her gem presumably was destroyed then.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back