New FTV competitions and events

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Would you like FTV to host new competitions and events?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't care

• Total voters

InuyashaX

-Hokage
Kouhai
Well I voiced my opinion on this subject a while ago but not really in depth, what I'm saying is, I think the currect FTV events are cool but theyre mostly the same thing "Make the best sig or avatar competition". What about the people who arent skilled in photoshop or simply dont have the time to participate? This might explain why so few try out for the competitions. So why not jazz up the competitions a bit and expand them to other categories so that everyone has some chance in winning.

Examples:

1. FTV Debate Competition (Topic picked and 2 groups of people debate it over a period of time and the winner is judged on best post or it can be a group win"

2. FTV Poetry Competition (Who can write theyre own best legit poem?

3. FTV Essay Competition (Who can write they best essay for a given topic?)

4. FTV Gaming Competition (Have online gaming events?)

5. FTV Jeapordy/Trivia (Can be trivia about the members/forum/anime, history of the site ect)

These are just a few examples, so anyone else want the competitions to expand a bit?

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 21 2009, 05:14 PM)1. FTV Debate Competition (Topic picked and 2 groups of people debate it over a period of time and the winner is judged on best post or it can be a group win"
I think this a feasible idea and I was thinking of doing it myself. What you would need to get this idea of the ground is a sizeable amount of people willing to debate (at least 5 people). Then you could set up teams. To get over the time zone issue you could have a team America and a team Europe. I think that would solve two birds with one stone; not only do you overcome time zones but you add an competitive element.

Take the issue of abortion: one team would be pro-abortion and the other, against abortion. I know what others may say: "you can't take sides." Well the whole point of a debate isn't so much your opinion (you could be arguing against your true believes) but how you construct your arguments. It will also encourage people to become more open-minded as they have to actually listen to other side of the argument (they may have to defend it themselves!)

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 21 2009, 05:14 PM)2. FTV Poetry Competition (Who can write theyre own best legit poem?
We already have a poetry competition!
Poetry Competition (TRIAL)

Unfortunately the mod running this is a bit busy!
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 21 2009, 05:14 PM)3. FTV Essay Competition (Who can write they best essay for a given topic?)
Sounds interesting but it might be ending up being a bit similar to the debate competition. Then again if you get can a bunch of people who are keen on this then we could pursue this further. You need to be specific what you want though cause I could really see an essay competition dying out quickly. After all it requires a lot of effort to make an essay! Hmm one idea that was thrown in not too long ago was the idea of a anime review competition. Seeing as this is an anime site that maybe more appropriate.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 21 2009, 05:14 PM)4. FTV Gaming Competition (Have online gaming events?)
I think it's best if FTV carries these competition out in the games themselves. If FTV members want to interact with each other using voice communication, we already have teamspeak for that.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 21 2009, 05:14 PM)5. FTV Jeapordy/Trivia (Can be trivia about the members/forum/anime, history of the site ect)
We already have various threads in the gaming section that cater for this. To name a few:
Guess the anime!!!
Guess That Character!!!
Guess that vehicle!!
Riddles!

And more recently:
A Test Your Knowledge thread.

If you can come up with some other interesting competitions feel free to post those ideas!
wink.gif
Oh and my final bit of advice: try and focus on promoting one competition as opposed to 4 or 5. If you want a competition to take off it cannot be flooded by 4 or 5 ongoing competitions. Every competition needs it's time to shine and this is particularly important at the beginning, when the competition has not been fully established yet.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 21 2009, 10:14 AM) 1. FTV Debate Competition (Topic picked and 2 groups of people debate it over a period of time and the winner is judged on best post or it can be a group win"

2. FTV Poetry Competition (Who can write theyre own best legit poem?

3. FTV Essay Competition (Who can write they best essay for a given topic?)

4. FTV Gaming Competition (Have online gaming events?)

5. FTV Jeapordy/Trivia (Can be trivia about the members/forum/anime, history of the site ect)

These are just a few examples, so anyone else want the competitions to expand a bit?
1. Debate is plausible, just get a staff member to mediate discussions
2. Poetry idea is/was in progress. Status is stalled
3. Essay competition is also feasible, but who would want to write an essay with real life and school work already piling on someone? It's something that's possible but I think the participation will be low throughout since it takes time to write essays....ask the staff from the webzine
tongue.gif

4. Gaming competition....we had a call of duty team that hama, noob, and daft set up before...If I remember correctly it didn't go too well since we got wrecked.
tongue.gif
But I don't think there would be a problem starting this up if you could get a working team and a game that everyone has to play (for instance, I have Counter strike 1.6, not source since I'm running a vista 64 bit)
5. Trivia stuff...we have those in the game section and we occasionally did stuff on teamspeak (or so we did a year or two ago).

I have no ideas for other competitions at the moment though......

Yea we should stick with 1 new competition at a time I'm just naming a few ideas.

For what it's worth I think the debate competition is the best idea. I remember sending a few pms about starting a debate competition but then got distracted with webzine.
tongue.gif
I think the key is to get enough members interested. Once you have that I'm sure the competition would take off.
wink.gif

Well this was the debating teams I had in mind. It was still a rough plan so nothing fancy:

Team Europe
Me (UK)
Dalriada (France)

Team America
dchaosblade (USA)
EggBeast (USA)

Judge/referee - Some mod who would judge which team had the stronger argument and would also monitor the thread so things wouldn't get out of control.

If any more people are interested we could see where we go with that. Are you interested in joining the debate InuyashaX?
rolleyes.gif

I'm up for it, we just needa work out the times and the system of how itll work. Like you said have a mod (not competing) moderate the thread where the debate takes off. Two sides will each have their say, lets see mabey 1 post from each person I guess. Well switch after each person, like 1 person posts then other person from opposing side posts rebuttal then we repeat ect until all members posted. At the end we can have a vote to see which team deserves to win and which member provided the best statement.

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Jan 21 2009, 06:43 PM)
We already have a poetry competition!
Poetry Competition (TRIAL)

Unfortunately the mod running this is a bit busy!
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa)
2. Poetry idea is/was in progress. Status is stalled

Yeah sorry about that, ive been busy with my exams, but i had the last on Friday so come Monday im hoping to get that back up and running again........

As for the debates, i like this idea, ideally id like to take part in this debates myself, but im not that active in the THoughtful Disscussion thread so i dont think it would be worth me joining for Team Europe, so if you need a Judge you have one right here........

I'd be up for a debate competition. (me and chaosblade would wipe the floor with team Europe! Mwah ha ha ha ha!!!!!
tongue.gif
). I think it would be fun, and I'd definitely be willing to participate if/when we get the whole structure set up. It shouldn't be too hard figuring out how to set up the posts for the debate. Usually you've just got the opening statements, responses to the statements, a set of rebuttals, and closing statements. The teams could decide amongst themselves who wants to do which.

Eggy Eggy Eggy *sighs* You know better than anybody else that the fact you;d wipe the floor with anybody is debatable
tongue.gif

I for one would make you work hard for ANY victory although if I really felt like it, I can counter any argument you could make
wink.gif

Also I would purposely be looking for any and ALL flaws in your logic.
You can;t win against me my friend you can only get a draw at the best
biggrin.gif
Isn;t also a BIG generalisation that you;d win against team europe seeing as you don't know who would be in the European team? You see you've already lost by making an assumption, you'll have to do better than that
tongue.gif

I just remembered something: debating isn't about competion anyway it's about openly discussing ideas and concepts to eventually arrive at a consesus regarding the truth of a line of thought.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back