Osen

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

chiisai_hana

-nipah!
Retired
Osen
400pxosenbanneris3.jpg

Genre: Food, Comedy
Number of Episodes: ? (currently airing)
Synopsis: "Handa Sen is the "okami" (proprietress) of a long-standing restaurant in one of the lower parts of Tokyo. Though she is normally airheaded and loves to drink, she has an impressive mastery of a wide range skills, from cooking to ceramics to calligraphy. While the drama follows various events surrounding the restaurant, one of the series' highlights is its illustration of Japanese food and culture."
Additional information at dramawiki -> http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Osen

I was looking around for a drama to watch, and this one caught my attention. I've only watched the first episode so far (episodes 2&3 are downloading still) but it looks like it'll be interesting. The show follows Ezaki Yoshio, who quits his job at a showy Japanese restaurant to find "true cooking". He asks Osen to take him in at her restaurant, but struggles to appreciate the slow, traditional way of cooking. The show looks like it'll have a theme of contrasting cultural heritage vs. new-age convenience. My main complaint is the character of Osen at this point - I'm hoping she grows on me, but it feels like the ditzy drunken okami role is perhaps a bit overdone. As someone who loves watching cooking shows though, it's quite interesting to learn about Japanese ingredients and techniques.

I actually just also picked up this show about two weeks ago (picking up another j-drama because Zettai Kareshi turned out to be quite a disappointment). I'm still DL-ing episode 3.

I found the first two episodes interesting enough. And the cooking seems really nice. I like the actor who plays Ezaki - I've never seen him before. But I like him.

@Chiisai_hana: Actually my complaint isn't focused on the character of Osen but on Ezaki. For the second episode in a row, he tried to run away from the restaurant and it's kinda irritating that he keeps on quitting every single time he is disatisfied with something and comes back when he gets his revelation . I'm actually hoping that it would be the end of those so they can move on with the story.

Well, having watched 2&3 now ... Osen still seems a bit too ditzy at times, but she is getting some character. And being we've broken the "Ezaki leaves" pattern, hopefully the show will stay strong. I like the focus on sub characters in episode 3. Seiji especially seems interesting. But the show always leaves me wanting to go eat Japanese food
laugh.gif

Really??? I still haven't watched the third episode 3. My ISP is ascting up with sporadic moments of downtime (such a pain for episode downloading. But I'm glad that that cycle is finally broken. Actually I like to watch it for Tome because I liked him from the Honey and Clover j-drama.

You're right though... watching it makes me crave for Japanese food which is laughable because I don't eat Japanese food with the random gyoza, ramen, miso, misono, maki and katsudon. Anything beyond that makes me weird out like, "I can't eat that!"

Where can I download this ?? Is it up here ?

The OP for this dorama is great btw, thanks to Poonk uploading it up on MF.
biggrin.gif

I am interested in it too.... I tried mininova, but it spits out thousands of torrents that have nothing to do with the drama.
ohmy.gif

I've watched the first 2 eps so far and I think it's rather appealing. I mean, I don't think it's going to knock anything out of my Top 10 favorites, but it's definitely worth watching. I'm simultaneously watching Bambino!, another cooking drama, so it's kind of interesting to compare the slow food preparation techniques of the traditional restaurant versus the hurried efficiency of the Italian restaurant in that series-- not to mention, the okami & her staff are much nicer to their cocky newcomer Ezaki than Trattoria Baccanale's staff is to Ban.

Anyway, at first I sorta had my doubts about the actress playing Osen-- I wasn't sure I'd be able to believe her in the role (I thought she looked too young), but I'm coming around. She's sweetly naive without being a bimbo, which is nice. I guess in dramas like this, I'm used to seeing the sensei-figure be an outwardly-stern, standoffish figure from whom the apprentice-hero must win respect through a gruelling, somewhat-cruel process. But if Osen is going to win Ezaki over to her point of view (and you know she will), it will be through quiet confidence and apparently vast amounts of patience ...and sake.
laugh.gif

As for Ezaki-- well, he's handsome. And... well, Osen's way more patient with him than I would be.

P.S. I think it's cute how Osen calls the ingredients by name (miso-san, bean-san, etc.).

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jun 23 2008, 04:49 AM)I am interested in it too.... I tried mininova, but it spits out thousands of torrents that have nothing to do with the drama.
ohmy.gif
If you can use torrents, you can get the raws here and the softsubs (as they are released) here (just make sure you look at the softsub files so you DL the right version of the raws, etc.). And yes, the files are HUUUUGE (for a single drama ep.).

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jun 23 2008, 05:49 AM) I am interested in it too.... I tried mininova, but it spits out thousands of torrents that have nothing to do with the drama.
ohmy.gif

I get my torrents off http://www.tokyotosho.com/

And Nya hasn't released anything new lately .... does anyone know if the other episodes posted are subtitled or not? (Guess I'll try Poonk's links!)

Aah! I didn't even realize Nya was hardsubbing it! I think I'll wait for those to come out. They're only 1 ep behind the softsubs (which are at ep04, currently) besides.

P.S. A huge THANK YOU to chiisai_hana for the tip on the tokyotosho torrent page above-- I found torrents for 2 out-of-print Sorimachi Takashi albums (although they're old & probably dead, it's the closest I've been to tracking them down so far).

I can only use DDL, torrents are currently blocked for me, which is a hassle. So can anyone direct me to a DDL source for this series please ? Thanx.
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jun 25 2008, 01:21 AM)I can only use DDL, torrents are currently blocked for me, which is a hassle. So can anyone direct me to a DDL source for this series please ? Thanx.
biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
I can try to up the hardsubbed eps as they come out-- it may take a while though, as these are pretty big files (and, of course, I have a previous commitment of Zettai Kareshi). But anyway, here's ep01 links:

Osen 01: (Hardsubbed by Nya; 10 parts, ~929 MB joined)
.001 .002 .003 .004 .005 .006 .007 .008 .009 .010

EDIT: Hey, nevermind, it seems Nya has their own host links (MU) available in their forum:
Ep01 links can be found here, ep02 here and ep03 here.

poonk-san...
may i have a full episode link for osen...
i can't download via torrent..
so direct download link will be helpful
this series make me really crazzzyyyyyyyyyy
plz help me..
ph34r.gif

Even better, I found out that Nya fansubs provides their own download links at their forum here.

The only catch is-- only the first 5 episodes have been fansubbed, and that last one was done in July, so... this series may not be on high priority, or they may be busy.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back