Performance Enhancing Drugs

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Are performance enhancing drugs good or bad?

• good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
QUOTE Most sports are supposed to reward talent and hard work. Using drugs gives you an advantage that wasn't obtained through hard work or talent. So it defeats the purpose of the sport.

Moreover, sportsperson are often examples for the youth.
And a drug user is a very dangerous example. It may be fine for him (in reality, it's not, but nevermind), but it won't be fine for the young dumbass trying to imitate his idol, since he don't have a professional pharmacian available.

Then again I can almost sympathise with the cyclists! You gotta be on drugs to complete the tour de France.
laugh.gif

The story of Tom Simpson has been a shock for the Tour.

It's old story, right.
The drugs are better now, right.
But you still see some young men, with an healthy diet and doing some sport dying in of hearth problems or other mysterious reasons today, even on the field.
And you still have some strange statistics about the life expectancy of professional sportspeople.

QUOTE Many cyclists have blood transfusions to increase their red blood cell count. This will improve stamina so they can cycle for longer without tiring. How do you regulate stuff like that?
blink.gif

Recording the blood cell count during the year.
If the count increases highly just before the competition, you strike.

QUOTE (Dalriada @ Jun 26 2008, 08:14 PM)Moreover, sportsperson are often examples for the youth.
And a drug user is a very dangerous example. It may be fine for him (in reality, it's not, but nevermind), but it won't be fine for the young dumbass trying to imitate his idol, since he don't have a professional pharmacian available.
Even if the athlete is supported by a team of experts there is always a hidden danger. When Dwain Chambers was caught taking THG he also confessed to taking a wide cocktail of drugs. Some of which were fairly unknown to the medical community. So the knowledge of the drugs can be sketchy even to the experts as the drugs undergo less testing. So to say they are safe may not necessary be true.

QUOTE (Dalriada)And you still have some strange statistics about the life expectancy of professional sportspeople.
It can be interesting. But it's not always bad news for athletes. At least not for some of them:
Cricketers enjoy the longest life

When searching for this result I saw a monsta666 on the front page of google!
blink.gif

What's wrong with blood transfusions? I mean, it's just red blood cells that the cyclist is ingesting, what's wrong with that? There's no steroid of any kind involved right? Although I can't say that something that's from the body itself is alright because that argument fails when it comes to adrenalin overdosage.

QUOTE Cricketers enjoy the longest life

Isn't the reason obvious? They don't take steroids, they drink tea! [Or maybe inject it into their bloodstream
tongue.gif
]

QUOTE (khael @ Jun 27 2008, 03:59 AM)What's wrong with blood transfusions? I mean, it's just red blood cells that the cyclist is ingesting, what's wrong with that? There's no steroid of any kind involved right? Although I can't say that something that's from the body itself is alright because that argument fails when it comes to adrenalin overdosage.
Sports are supposed to reward hard work and talent. Using blood transfusions gives you an advantage that was not obtained through talent or hard work. If I want to raise my red blood cell count I can jog regularly or if I'm very serious go altitude training. But those methods require effort!

QUOTE (khael)Isn't the reason obvious? They don't take steroids, they drink tea! [Or maybe inject it into their bloodstream
tongue.gif
]
Unfortunately not all cricketers enjoy this benefit.
sad.gif
The stress of captaining your country seems to effect their long term health (maybe it's because they drink less tea) as they don't live as long. Sound ridiculous? Read the article the University of St Andrews actually did some research to prove this is true. Who funds this stuff? Don't ask.

On a serious note cricketers do take drugs Shane Warne is a cricketer (see my previous post). The fastest bowler in the world tested positive for nandrolone. After they came back they were never quite as fast.

QUOTE Sports are supposed to reward hard work and talent. Using blood transfusions gives you an advantage that was not obtained through talent or hard work. If I want to raise by red bloode cell count I can jog regularly or if I'm very serious go altitude training. But those methods require effort!

Besides, you just have to draw a line somewhere, between what's authorized and what's not.
For example a lot of sportsmen are under medication for asthma (Corticosteroid). When it's a legitimate cure and when it's illegal drug is not obvious.

Unfortunately not all cricketers enjoy this benefit. sad.gif The stress of captaining your country seems to effect their long term health (maybe it's because they drink less tea) as they don't live as long. Sound ridiculous? Read the article the University of St Andrews actually did some research to prove this is true. Who funds this stuff? Don't ask.

I wish we'd hear more abour cricket on the French media. It's really one of the most forsaken sport here (even American Football is more present). :x

QUOTE (Dalriada @ Jun 28 2008, 02:31 PM)Besides, you just have to draw a line somewhere, between what's authorized and what's not.
For example a lot of sportsmen are under medication for asthma (Corticosteroid). When it's a legitimate cure and when it's illegal drug is not obvious.
Funny you should mention that cause Alain Baxter was denied a bronze medal for taking a Vicks inhaler. A similar thing happened to Shane Warne. He was taking treatment for a skin condition (it's partly explains his stupid excuse). So it's a bit of a tricky area. In my opinion if the athlete has a medical condition then he should be allowed to take the substance even if it is banned (provided it is a valid treatment). Then again the anti-doping agencies are pretty strict with these things so the athlete must always check if their medication falls under the banned substance list. If it does (s)he should seek alternative treatments.

QUOTE (Dalriada)I wish we'd hear more abour cricket on the French media. It's really one of the most forsaken sport here (even American Football is more present). :x
Never thought I would hear a Frenchman wanting to watch cricket.
ohmy.gif
Nonetheless there is always hope. When there's a will there's a way.

Hmm I have reached double nelson in the number of thoughtful posts I have made. A most unlucky number!
ph34r.gif

* Raises one foot

QUOTE Then again the anti-doping agencies are pretty strict with these things so the athlete must always check if their medication falls under the banned substance list. If it does (s)he should seek alternative treatments.

It's not as dark as you say.
smile.gif

However, it's true that some substances are banned, and some other substances are authorized only if a doctor told you so and if you inform the relevant authority beforehand (at least for the Tour de France, it's something like that).

We had cases where sportsmen were in trouble be they 'forgot' to inform the federation.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back