Relationships over the internet

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (koiji @ May 01 2008, 06:05 PM) Well, online relationships are really something that shouldnt be trusted. Its just flat out not safe. Even if you are sent pictures of that person, the internet does have vast possibilities and they could have gotten the picture from anywhere. I do not trust them at all actually. Especially with places like myspace.
I pretty much hold the same opinion. It's fine to make friends online I guess, but going beyond that is a bit hmm 'risky'? The internet to me is primarily a source of information and a place to download stuff. Sure it's nice to make friends or possibly more. I know for some it works out, but in the end I stick to the mindset that people I meet online no matter how well I may get along they'll never be as close to me (in more ways than one xD) as people I befriend face to face. I guess I just prefer to meet people face to face and interact rather then sit behind a screen talking to someone who may not be what they seem. I know there a heaps of good people on the net or at least I'm made or like to think so, but I guess I naturally stop myself going over the line as a safe guard (hence being a ninja poster rather than someone you know "oh it's that stupid guy who leaves comments when he feels like it" ;p. I'm not against online relationships, to each their own, but personally i'd stay away from having one.

So why do I even bother posting on this forum or in this topic? Well since some interesting topics pop up every now and then I like to give my opinion, I may have random conversations with friends in real life, but the internet seems to produce interesting topics you usually wouldn't bring up when talking face to face, I guess i'm just a weirdo who feels the need to let out thoughts that don't get a chance in real life lol and it just comes down to the internet being a source of information for me, getting heaps of information from opinions and topics that don't get discussed much if ever in face to face conversations.

Thought I'd justify my answer so you don't think i'm a troll xD

I think everyone on here had some great points about online relationships. Personally I ahve had 6 different online relationships with guys, two of which ended up moving into "real life" as well.

The last of which I am still with and will probably marry. We have been living together for 2 years now and he is wonderful. To be honest, if I had met him in real life first I don't think I would have given him a chance, and it was only because of online that we ended up together at all.

Of the relationships I had online, some were great others were awful. But I think I can say the same about my real life relationships too. I think that if someone wants to hide something about themselves, whether it is in real life or online, they will do so. Plenty of guys have tricked me into liking them by pretending to be something they aren't in real life. I actually think that for the most part guys are more honest online about thier feelings. It's easier for them to express it when they aren't in person.

I guess the best advice I can give when it comes to online relationships is, go with your instincts. If something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't. Looking back on the relationships I regret, I can say there were plenty of warning signs that I ignored.

I think that as more and more people start to meet and start relationships online, everything that people used to think about relationships is going to change. I know my family and a lot of my friends don't understand why I would meet anyone online. In fact, with my most recent boyfriend I purposely didn't tell them that we met that way in order to keep them from pre-judging him. I know quite a few people who have met that way, gotten married and been happy for many years, so it can definitely work out!

Heh, well.............. I will say this, I don't doubt it will work its just that, me experince was good yet bad. So for me to give an honest opionion about it I think it would be clouded by my events after my relationship

QUOTE (Patrick5087 @ Aug 05 2008, 05:23 PM) Heh, well.............. I will say this, I don't doubt it will work its just that, me experince was good yet bad. So for me to give an honest opionion about it I think it would be clouded by my events after my relationship
You should give it anyhow. People will take that into context.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back