Release of Anime: double time!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos
Retired
Omg, they're learning?! It seems that FUNimation is actually listening to what fans have been saying about releasing anime, subtitled, quickly for a low price! They are apparently going to be releasing every episode of Shikabane Hime: Aka within a week of two of the Japanese air time FOR OWN for only $1.99! This is what fans have been saying that we were waiting for for a long time now. Everyone has said that if they could get anime quickly at a low, affordable price, they would get it legally rather than download it illegally. It's time to prove it.

More information about this can be found here (Anime News Network news post linked).

It's about time and it's nice to see a company that is listening to it's customers and and actually acting on the feedback.
I hope they lead by example and inspire other companies to do the same thing
cool.gif

Yeah, FUNimation is putting the show up for watching on several streaming sites (Hulu, Youtube, Joost, and FUNimation's website); but my point was more about how you can actually BUY the episode, download it, burn it, etc completely legally for a nice low affordable price ($1.99 aint bad =P though I would personally like to see it as low as $0.99).

Why does the title "Double Time" sound familiar to me? I'm sure I've heard of it somewhere before but I can't remember? Could somebody remind of the basic plot without spoiling it to see if it jogs my memory?

Im not really surprised, it about time they made more use of distributing tool such as streaming sites and pay per download. I already mentioned this on the Gregg Aires thread about how they should sell anime with no overproduce dub versions at a nice price of 1.99. Looks like i was slightly prophetic in what i said.

They still have a long way to go, success of this operation will decide on the speed of which they pick up anime (which will be the hardest thing). Also i would like to see them expand outside of US. Hulu i.e is only US streaming.I still believe that they should ride the commercial success of ipods and sell anime in itunes etc. But its a start. I for one have no choice but to stick with fansubs since im not a US resident, soon as it becomes more commercially available worldwide i dont see why i wouldnt buy it. I already do it with heroes episodes on itunes.

Do you know if there is any kind of DRM with the funimation downloads though?

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Nov 10 2008, 10:36 AM) Yeah, FUNimation is putting the show up for watching on several streaming sites (Hulu, Youtube, Joost, and FUNimation's website); but my point was more about how you can actually BUY the episode, download it, burn it, etc completely legally for a nice low affordable price ($1.99 aint bad =P though I would personally like to see it as low as $0.99).
Except having the Funimation logo in the bottom corner (irritates me a lot) along with them using a tv ripped raw is still ripping you off...Reminder that dvd quality videos for this series does not yet exist in Japan yet. Essentially, Funimation is providing you a form of a fansub at a price.

Yes they have acquired the license to it, but what's good about it when the quality of the video itself is as poor as any encoded fansub release?

Now if they were DVD quality videos for that price, then MAYBE.

we need upload links for these subs anyways....someone is bound to place them on some site

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Nov 10 2008, 03:10 PM) Now if they were DVD quality videos for that price, then MAYBE.

I wouldn't mind paying for anime subtitled downloads if it's like Kit says DVD quality. What is the point if it's the same as a bad to mediocre raw. Though I would prefer let's say Funimation or another anime producing company to carry 3-4 -- or more if possible-- new anime titles and charge me a monthly fee of about $9.99. Everything be released timely (within a week at least) after the original japanese release date and like said above DVD quality is a musssssssst. Those would be my initial qualifications for paying to download anime w/out much hesitation.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back