restore SATA drive

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

sailor keiko 2

Kouhai
First time user.

I had a problem with svchost.exe on my Win XP Pro using 250 GB SATA HDD.
ohmy.gif
mad.gif

I was able to use Silicon Image sil3132 adapter card port 0 and I installed 750 GB SATA HDD on the adapter port 0

on the 750 GB SATA HDD, my options were simple or spanned.

I selected simple volume on the 750 GB SATA HDD and was able to save files - such as music, anime, pics, documents, total size used about 500GB

my only option with the 250GB HDD was to wipe and reload XP Pro

there seems to be no soln online on how to get my data back (restore) from my simple volume 750 GB SATA HDD
unsure.gif

I read elsewhere online that I must NOT hookup say the media card reader nor the 750 GB SATA HDD while I'm reinstalling Win XP Pro OS onto the 250 GB SATA HDD
otherwise, the boot order will be screwed up & it did.

My 250 GB HDD was labeled I:/ and not c:/
my 750 GB SATA HDD was first thought as a bootable drive

when I reformat & reloaded the 2nd time, my 750GB SATA HDD was thought to be a CD-ROM drive and automatically created some unallocated space - I think it was around 10GB.
I hope the PC did not erase any of the data on the 750 GB SATA HDD when it automatically created some disk space.
That time, I did not touch any keys nor function keys nor clicked on something

on my 3rd attempt, I removed the cables from the media card reader & I removed the Silicon Image Sil3132 driver & removed the adapter card & removed the cables from the 750 GB SATA HDD
I re-wiped the 250 GB SATA HDD & re-loaded the Win XP Pro on the 250 GB SATA HDD

the 250 GB SATA HDD was recognized as c:/

my problem is how can I access the 750 GB SATA HDD with simple volume?

I am going to attempt:
install the adapter card & install the cables from the 750 GB SATA HDD to the adater card
then let the PC recognize the new hardware - mass storage device
immediately install the CD driver, probably I should do it manually

what are the rest of the steps....?
sad.gif
unsure.gif

I do NOT was to wipe out any of the data on the 750 GB SATA HDD, I want it preserved.

What about the drive letter for the 750 GB SATA HDD, how can I create it?

should I also flash the BIOS chip?
blink.gif

on my Dell, there is no way to backup the BIOS - there is no option.

any helpful advice is appreciated
also any best recommendation is appreciated.

PS
I sure do NOT want to go to any MicroCenter, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, CompUSA or local PC repair shop & spend outrageous amount of time and money and lose any data.

I'm sorta simpathetic cause I had the same problem before, until I realized the problem. I currently have a 500GB main C:\ drive and a 1 terrabyte G:\ drive and another couple in an external.

This is a SATA drive you're talking about, the SATA drive is supposed to be automatic. Unlike PATA drives, you don't set master or slave or what and is supposed to be fully automatic and therefore, most of the time, is plug and play. Drivers should not be the issue. However, if the case is that the 750 GB is not formatted, to your windows XP format, then you gotta look at the thing as an image. There are many options to read a harddrive as an image, but it's probably not the way you want it to be. However, it's likely that it's formatted already if you used it already. I assume your SATA drive was seen as a CD because it read the whole thing as a single image.

At times, the SATA drive is recognized as connected in the BIOS and not connected in windows. In that case, you'll have to go to control panel, hardware, and have the thing recognized. I use vista and I forgot how to do it in xp cause it's been some years. If you can get a screenie or see if the hardware is recognized by the hardware/device manager. And we can work from there probably.

Also, the BIOS should be stored on the motherboard. If not, then something's wrong. You shouldn't tinker with the BIOS, as it sorta is a last resort when something goes REALLY wrong.

You're going to have to give your computer information and your hard drive and the all the other information...

But then again, this isn't a technical forum and may be closed or whatever

Assuming that nothing is lost on the large hard drive already you should now be able to hook everything up and boot into windows. From there you'll need to have windows search the computer for new hardware and if required install drivers. That should be all that you need to do.

I don't know how the boot order could possibly be screwed up by installing windows though. That doesn't really make sense. Boot order is determined by the bios. Naming the drives is of course handled by windows but windows should let you choose what harddrive you want to install windows to and assign c: to the drive that has windows on it.

When the 750gb drive is attached to the computer and drivers installed windows should see that it is formatted already and give it a letter (normally the next letter available). It shouldn't matter what letter it is but you may be able to change the letter in the disk management utility that comes with windows.

Updating the bios is not absolutely necessary but may be helpful if it was causing problems for you which made you need to reinstall.

Every other drive letter is fixable beside the one with the os one because once it change u have to change almost everything to point to taht drive letter everything else doesnt matter like I for one didnt like my drive letter for my other drive i changed it but for my os drive it was in 2 partition the one i wipe became D and now that my main os drive letter the C is a factory partition my old computer had although i believe it useless now since that hard drive is on a custom pc.

The majority things that you must do with the computer drive letters and all is all in the disk management. To get there quickly is by Run diskmgmt.msc.

Although i dont know if i read that post right you may have erase the stuff on the other hd... If you deleted the partition to that other hd then it probaly is but if

I dont understand how that other hd is connect is it connected to the motherboard or a card that you bought or had and it connected to that one?

BTW before you had did all of that you could have tried performing a Repair instead of reinstalling the os but too late now...

Bios update is only usesful when you have big capability problem or want to use soemthing that the new bios have otherwise if it aint broke dont fix it.

OK

Im using a Dell XPS Gen 5 and somehow only one SATA port on the motherboard/mobo is OK

The rest will not work, even though I used the Dell diagnostic test CD

the test concluded that everything in the mobo is OK

so when I plugged in the data cable to say SATA 1 port on the mobo - my PC does not recognize it
ditto for SATA 2 & SATA 3

Thats why I had to get the Silicon Image adapter card installed.

Run be me again just one more time just to make sure the instructions:

once the OS in installed
install the adapter card & connect the cables to the 750 GB SATA HDD w/ simple volume
boot PC & let it recognize new hardware device
& immediately install the driver
then goto My Computer & I should be able to access the 750 GB SATA hard drive
and the drive letter should also be automatic
Correct?

Are you trying to save the old data? If so it matters if you are using Vista. With Vista, you may have to add the drive as a different letter than before if you are using a second drive to enable the recovery.

You could actualy have the adaptor install already when installing the os. You could also have the other harddrive in while instaling the os although as a procation to make sure you dont delete the partition on it by accident you should do that part afterward unless you already deletedit... then uhh. Anyway you must install anything taht adapter need to be use though if it came with a cd because that may cause any device connected to it after installation to work properly.

Also yea the assigning of the drive letter is automatic but if you want to change the drive letter you would need to reassign it in the disk management.

OK

Thanks for the advices.

Since Im currently using Win XP Pro
the 1st trick was "when" to insert & run the CD driver

the 2nd & final trick
I got to Computer management & I only saw that my SATA HDD was foreign with a yellow triangle with black exclamation point

so, I clicked on "import" & I was able to view & access my HDD

same thing as what was said above i picked up some sortof virus the other day so i had to reload o.s im running xp and my machine was only built with ide connectors a few weeks ago i bought a 1. 5 tb hdd and a card with 2 sata ports formatted the drive with assined letter "G" transfered all data from all drives and everything was sweet till i reloaded o.s now sata reads as all unlocated through disk management and it reads all of drive so

if i right click on the all unlocated drive in disk management i get option too new partition

my question is if i do new partiton will this delete all my data on that drive

========================================================

question 2 i also reloaded a second os on a second drive which is sata in sata bios it reds both the 40 gig sata drive with os and the 1.5 tb hdd sata also as both being master
i cant seem to get the 1.5 tb to read as slave

also same problem there with the 1.5 tb not reading as well

hope someone can help with this issue as its making me go a little crazy

New partion is amost always a funeral for data unless you use a specal partioning program.

For multiple drives with same old drive letter. Try installing and repairing only one at a time.

The last one that I used for XP was Partiion Magic. I remember having a second program that also did registry repair. I believe that it has Mechanic in the name.

@ sailor keiko 2: Ok, lets run down the list of concerns I have about your hardware.

1. In the case that no other sata ports were active on your mobo, except for port 0, did you check if their equivalent sata controllers were active in the bios (ie. should be under something like Integrated Peripherals / Chipset).

2. If you are re-installing the OS to one of those drives, depending on which drive you wish to make the boot drive, you may have to disconnect the other drives except for your floppy, boot drive, and cd\dvd-rom drives. Re-install your OS in this fashion. Once all drivers are installed, you can then re-install your 750gb drive to another of the sata ports, most like port 1. Restart the system, and the drive should show up after 1 more restart, (ie. after the system says that your new hardware has been installed, restart 1 more time). There should be no need for the extra sata controller card.

3. If it is setup like this, you can continue to use your 250 gb drive as the main boot drive, and the 750 gb drive as a storage drive. Also something else to keep in mind, when you are re-installing the OS, you may need to provide chipset drivers for your built-in SATA controllers, otherwise the system may not work properly, or the OS may not see your drive.

@tad_69: When you re-installed your operating system, which drive did you use for the install, I could not quite understand how everything is setup on your machine. Also, which motherboard, model, version, cpu, hard drives, types of hard drives, and OS are you trying to install.

@tad_69: When you re-installed your operating system, which drive did you use for the install, I could not quite understand how everything is setup on your machine. Also, which motherboard, model, version, cpu, hard drives, types of hard drives, and OS are you trying to install.
no reinstalled to 250 gig dont know typr of hdd os is on but the os is not on the 1.5 tb sata
its on a 250 gig ide controller

dell optiplex gx260
2.4 giga hertz processor
not qiute sure on mother board but guessin same when manufactured
sata 1.5 tb is made by baricudda and the sales man swears up and down the one he had in stock where of the new line and not infact defective if your up to date on the issues regarding barricuda youll know whaty i mean

type of os windoze XP sp2 black edition build 2600

any other info and ill try to find thanks friend

Ok, so the 250 gb drive is the primary drive then? You may have to re-install the OS on the 250 gb drive with the 1.5 tb drive not plugged into the motherboard.

You can check that your 250 gb drive is the master on the primary channel when the system boots up, and you take a look at the bios screen. Otherwise, you may have to change the jumpers on the IDE drive. Is the hard drive the only drive on that ribbon cable, or are you sharing the same cable with the cd/dvd-rom drive? I ask, because those two drive types should be on separate ribbon cables, on separate IDE channels, otherwise performance problems can surface.

Once you get around all that and re-install the OS, make sure all drivers are installed, including those for the SATA controller.

You should be able to find those drivers here: Link

Once all drivers are installed, you can then shut down the system, and un-plug the power cord from pc. Now you can plug power, and sata cables to your 1.5 tb drive. You can leave your case open, just in case you have to turn it off again and fix something.

Turn the pc on, and head over to your bios, and hit the F2, or DEL keys to get you into setup. Now double check your boot order/sequence to make sure that your IDE drive is still the first choice for boot up of machine. Once you make sure things are in order, save bios, and let it restart. Let windows xp detect your newly, re-installed drive. It should come up under My computer now, that is if it was formatted properly from your other re-install. Post back with results if that does not work, and we can try some other things.

CODE Ok, so the 250 gb drive is the primary drive then? You may have to re-install the OS on the 250 gb drive with the 1.5 tb drive not plugged into the motherboard
yes primary 250 gig
1.5 tb was not plugged in at time of reload there are no sata connectors on mother board
i have a sata raid controller and the controller was only thing plugged into mother board so do you think i should disconnect that and restall'

CODE You can check that your 250 gb drive is the master on the primary channel when the system boots up, and you take a look at the bios screen. Otherwise, you may have to change the jumpers on the IDE drive. Is the hard drive the only drive on that ribbon cable, or are you sharing the same cable with the cd/dvd-rom drive? I ask, because those two drive types should be on separate ribbon cables, on separate IDE channels, otherwise performance problems can surface.

i agree i never have any other drives hooke up during reinstall seperate ribbons also

CODE You should be able to find those drivers here: Link
Once all drivers are installed, you can then shut down the system, and un-plug the power cord from pc. Now you can plug power, and sata cables to your 1.5 tb drive. You can leave your case open, just in case you have to turn it off again and fix something.

do i D/L all drivers listed there before or after reinstall

=================
Note : my dvd rom and dvd burner were acting up at time of reinstall acting up meaning after each step in reinstall i had to move setup disk in between restarts
and my sound card drivers were not installed maybe driver werent installed for the sata connector whats your take on this

keep in mind i did have another reload on another drive aswell though its not currently hooked up it is a sata but not the 1.5 tb it read and started so i dont know if what i said in this post above is the same or means anything if that makes since

also how do i use the dled files at the link you provided they D/L with extintion ".application"

Post by tad_69 was deleted...that was in this place

Do not post in fancy font post in regular format.

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Aug 23 2009, 01:09 AM)Post by tad_69 was deleted...that was in this place

Do not post in fancy font post in regular format.
you know it took fore ever to type all that also the polite thing to do would be to edit out

font=Segoe Script color=red size=18 /size /color /font

and font would be normall becides if this method was restricted on this board you shouldnt have this option avalible i wll not retype this message again just to please

but i will simply give thanks to those that helped and hope those that need the info i provided got a chance to read before

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back