Scientology

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Where have you heard of Scientology?

• The News(paper,tv)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Items(ie, pulse bands from the 90's)

• You know someone who is a scientologist

• YTMND

• Youve been in contact with them

• This post

• You practice scientology

• Other Blogs

• Total voters

Grifith

Kouhai
For those of you who do not know what the religion of Scientology is. Although i am biased, it is a hurtfull religion that was created by a science fiction writer for the sole purpous of making money. The origional creator became senial and devouted his life to this fake religion of scientology. One of the only reasons why this group dubes itself as a religion is because it enjoys tax exemption from our government and they can not be investigated by our government.

http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/ Roughly learn what is bad about Scientology (slideshow)

http://theunfunnysequel.ytmnd.com/ The sequal of the previous slide show

http://www.xenu.net/ Website that tries to bring the light of what Scientology is really about

http://www.scientology.org/ And if your brave, click this link.

Many famous acters and actresses were scientologists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scientologists The list

Needing moderator to insert links above ^
Done

Yes i am biased against Scientology, but let that fact only add to the discusion as it is only one view. In my eyes, the only reason why scientology is still going is because of the scientologists increadible legal team. But because it still has not gone down i believe it is necessary to spread word about what Sceintology is and what they have done.

My uncle's a scientist and so are his kids. Yeah, I'm biased agienst scientology as well. I've been to there meets a few times and they tried to get my to go to L.A and join there dianetics program. Lol They offerend 50$ a month plus room and board. I didnt think it was that bad till my uncle conned my grandmother out of 150k that was supposed to go to here house as a remodel and donatated it to scientology. Then while watching the dianetics videos and seeing them worship L.Ron Hubbard like he was god... Then later finding out that he died about 20+ years ago and he was a science fiction writer. I think it he was alive today he'd be astonished to see how his "religion" grown.

Also little things that i dont like about it:

They told my they could read minds. (yeah, i was like wft?)
Was told if they sleep less it makes then more godly. (again wtf)
Seen them so called "cure" sickness by touching ppl asking can you feel this.

well, i don't know much about it -- and i'm really not interested in it. the name itself doesn't make sense to me, and what i've heard about them (including in this thread) is mostly negative, it sounds more like a strange cult than a religion to me.. even though, according to what you said, it's neither
tongue.gif

so the very little knowledge i have on the issue tells me that i can continue ignorant without regretting it, basically.

Heyas,

Quote by L. Ron Hubbard (at a sci-fi convention a few years before he formed $cientology):

'Start a religion. That's where the BIG money is'

And apparently, not long after he said this, he was challenged by a drinking buddy to put his money where his mouth is.

So it seems the 'religion' that's gotten the likes of Tom Cruise Control, John Travolta & others involved, and fleeced LOADS of people out of their hard-earned, is purely from the result of a BAR BET!

I think that's all you really need to know about $cientology.

first of all, i would like to point out that i am a god, having finally mastered levitation with the help of a frozen salmon, and requiring less sleep is next to godliness (or at last insanity according to the fish, but don't listen to him)

interesting theory on the whole bar bet thing, however this whole discussion isn't so much a discusion as it is a bashing of scientology, since there's simply nobody here to give an opposing view.

secondly, although the view you present makes scientology seem like a cult based around money, some new age/wiccan beliefs have truly astounded me in both their claims and adherents.

i've read biographies about people who have tried to raise unicorns and have based their science fiction books (see zell otter and the church of all worlds) and i hate to say it, scientology isn't the strangest out there.

also check out some of the stuff alleister crowley was into. some of this puts the scientologists on more level footing.

As some have pointed out, scientology is far from the weirdiest religion out there, however, it is a far more exposed and popular religion than many of the "weirder" ones. It also seems to have some amount of political/popular culture influence, due to its ability to attract people in power. This, coupled with the fact that it seems to indiscriminately steal money from its practicioners, makes it.... different. I might argue that it isn't any weirder than worshipping a 2000 year old carpenter, but I would not argue that it isn't doing some very unethical things. It treats religion as a business, not as a medium that aides people in accessing their spirituality. This makes it very much not like other religions.

I've heard about Scientology but I never thought there were people who actually believed in this stuff. :S I think this 'religion' ( :cough:cult:cough: ) is just as bad as any extremist/fundamentalist faith. Thanks for the eyeopener, Grifith!

QUOTE (Ehren @ Sep 26 2006, 08:50 PM) I've heard about Scientology but I never thought there were people who actually believed in this stuff.
There are more than you think. Many are prominenet actors. For instance, Tom Cruise is a large figure in that movement. There are also a few others.

In a sense, scientology is nothing new. They simply do more openly what many other religious institution tried to do before in a more subtle way-> To accumulate richess.

QUOTE (MKK)I heard that the VAs who play Chef in South Park died when he was a scientist
the VA who played Chef was a scientologist alright, and because the creators of South Park made an episode bashing scientology (i don't think it was the first, though) the VA decided to leave. So they had to kill the character in the series, but the VA didn't die, as far as i know..

you know elvis was asked to join the church of scientology, this is what he said when asked about them

"F*** those people! I'll never be involved with this son-of-a-b*tchin' group! All they want is my money."

[MODERATOR's NOTE: Using such language will not be tolerated on FTV. Please use proper english to explain your position without resorting to meaningless insults.]

he is my new hero

I think scientology is a brilliant hoax. It's basically how religions starts, someone with who can convey emotions (like a good novelist) and knows how to motivate people tells them why they don't like how they feel and promises ways how to make it better. Desperate people join and cling to this truth and thus fanatics (and a religion) are born.
happy.gif

Am I the only one who thinks the name is ironic "The church of scientology"?

This thread seems to be getting a bit away from its intended topic. The idea of the thougthfull section is to have deeper discussion and debates about topics. Posting a post full of insults is hardly thougthfull.

If you want to convey a message, please do so by explaining and supporting your arguments.

I read that John Travolta and a gang of scientologists were pressuring movie companies into making films out of L. Ron Hubbards crappy books.

Battlefield Earth was one of them that got through. The first studio they tried the crap on (I heard it was FoX or Paramount or someone) refused to give in even thoguh they were beign bothered persistantly by what they called the creepiest lawyers ever.

However, eventually the movie was made and it sucked liek everyone figured and scientologists are to blame.

--------

But I digress, personally, I really don't know too much first hand about Scientology, but I'll stick with the strong standpoint that they're a horrible cult. Every religion has their extremists, but scientologists whole religion supports these people and anyone else who disagrees with them are... "fair game".

....... Battlefield Earth was based off of Scientology? wtf. that was a silly movie.. Though it had an interesting concept. Downloading knowledge and whatnot. I simply had no idea.
smile.gif

QUOTE (Ehren @ Oct 10 2006, 02:54 PM) ....... Battlefield Earth was based off of Scientology? wtf. that was a silly movie.. Though it had an interesting concept. Downloading knowledge and whatnot. I simply had no idea.
smile.gif

lol no it wasn't based off of scientology, but it was a book written by L. Ron Hubbard, sci-fi writer/ founder of the Scientology religion.

Just because L. Ron Hubbard came up with one of the stupidest religions known to man does not change the fact that he was an excellent writer. A book isn't automatically bad just because it doesn't translate very well to film.

wat is ymtnd?

[MODERATOR's NOTE: Please watch the writing. On 3 words, there are errors in 2 of them. It makes it rather hard to understand what you mean.]

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back