Scientology

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Where have you heard of Scientology?

• The News(paper,tv)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Items(ie, pulse bands from the 90's)

• You know someone who is a scientologist

• YTMND

• Youve been in contact with them

• This post

• You practice scientology

• Other Blogs

• Total voters
I think scientology epitomizes everything wrong with religion. I mean, when I looked at their beliefs (and I not referring to the whole alien overlord Xenu) and practices, I just thought it was insane. I haven't actually met a scientologist (the culmination of the knowledge on the matter stems from a certain utube...), so I may be biased here, but man.

From what I've heard, they utilize various brainwashing techniques that would get anyone who walks into one of their..... buildings, and charge quite a large sum for their services. And apparently independent research has shown the people who have left the religion have suffered from more mental trauma than from those who have left any other religion, and I'm talking some serious mental trauma.

... but that's all I really have to say without going full-blown general religion on you guys.

I'm all for respecting people beliefs so long as they take an honest look at their lives, but can't see people even getting the chance to do that with religions such as scientology.

And what's even better, this has nothing to do with anime! Hooray for fansub.tv!

I am a scientific minded guy so i steer away from religion. But i generally keep my opinions to myself, being as my best friend and his family are religious i don't make any comments that might end up in an argument. I don't think "Scientology" is the epitomy of everything wrong with religion, i think it is just one persons opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitle to their own opinion in this world, even if they don't say it.

ph34r.gif
/vanish

P.S. Pardon the spelling.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ungreatful Punk @ Nov 10 2007, 11:49 AM) Everyone is entitle to their own opinion in this world, even if they don't say it.
The problem is not what the CoS believe (all the xenu stuff sound silly, but no more than a magical pixie in the sky creating the world in 6 days).
The problem is more how the CoS behave. There has been numerous trials against the CoS in numerous countries, for various reasons (look at Operation Snow White for example), which make the organisation quite shady.

What is operation snow white?

And how old exactly is scientology? I only heard about it when Tom Cruise apparently joined it and got mobbed by an angry mob of nuns or something like that.

@CokaCola

YTMD = You're the man now dog.

An internet flash site.

Check out the given links, i can't right now since my connection is crappy, and i'ma gonna sleep.

QUOTE I am a scientific minded guy so i steer away from religion. But i generally keep my opinions to myself, being as my best friend and his family are religious i don't make any comments that might end up in an argument. I don't think "Scientology" is the epitomy of everything wrong with religion, i think it is just one persons opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitle to their own opinion in this world, even if they don't say it.

Exactly my situation right now. Are they aware of it? Because my family is, and the good thing is they respect my belief instead of sending me to a psychiatrist or something.

QUOTE What is operation snow white?

Operation snow White

QUOTE And how old exactly is scientology?

The cult was created in 1953

Okay from what it seems to me accoding to this operation Snow White. It's quite possible that scientology is more than just a mere scam. Maybe it's something bigger. Are there prominent leaders in the organization involved in the government?

Thanks for the info.

I was talking about Science Vs. Religion. I support more scientific understanding of things, I am not comfortable with looking at most things the way a church might (example, creation).

Off topic: I don't support any cults, cults are unfortunately a part of life but i dispize such things.

QUOTE (Ungreatful Punk @ Nov 13 2007, 07:47 PM) I was talking about Science Vs. Religion. I support more scientific understanding of things, I am not comfortable with looking at most things the way a church might (example, creation).

Off topic: I don't support any cults, cults are unfortunately a part of life but i dispize such things.
Yes i know.
It's exactly the same as my situation right now.
I was talking about:

QUOTE I am a scientific minded guy so i steer away from religion. But i generally keep my opinions to myself, being as my best friend and his family are religious i don't make any comments that might end up in an argument.

So there you go.

I'm a strong atheist and agnotist.

OK now i understand, for a moment i thought that people thought i was some sort of cult follower, but now we are on the same page. What kind of stinks on my side here is that i think out of my family i am the only one that things more like a scientist. =( Makes me feel like the odd one out.

ph34r.gif
/vanish

I think the CoS attracting big name actors is simply due to the exclusivity since it costs big money to be a member... or at least a respected member...

other than that, I don't think the actors and whatnot that are in it for the publicity/exclusivity know what really goes on in the cult... (no need to reiterate what's already been said about the CoS in this thread)

looks like Hubbard came up with an ingenious idea and created a religion to generate personal profits... then he went on a power trip and the power trip just kept on going...

every large international religion or group has reaches into the local government though, so that's nothing new...

what's this thread really about anyways? "let's bash the CoS?"

QUOTE what's this thread really about anyways? "let's bash the CoS?"
Its starting to seem that way actaully. This page is turning into a breeding ground for conspiracy theories and just plain dislike to the "religion". If there was a person who actaully could defend this "religion" this thread would make a lot more sense. However right now it seems off topic from the the very beginning and just useless for the thoughtful section. Its not really you the posters fault Though. I blame the topic, its rather boring and hard for a person to see both sides of the argument.

QUOTE This thread seems to be getting a bit away from its intended topic. The idea of the thougthfull section is to have deeper discussion and debates about topics. Posting a post full of insults is hardly thougthfull.

If you want to convey a message, please do so by explaining and supporting your arguments. I think bold said it best here alittle earlier.

Just look at this post as alittle warning.

I would try to defend the CoS, but I can't. Sorry for my bashing. I don't think people who are Scientists are bad, I just don't care for this religion.

I've been to the Scientology site and read about it. It looks... not so good.
There was this one thing- a 'personality test'. Normally it costs 500$ but you get to take it for free! ooooooo. Well, me being myself I took it and it basically said to view my results I'd have to visit a group near me. Whatever.

Their suggestions to everyday problems are messed up. Some are understandable. If someone around you is feeling unsafe in their dangerous environment (as the entire world is) then take a walk and view the environment around them. This is good.

Ha! I love number 7. I just copied and pasted from here down. The title puts a thought into your head, or at least it made me think of 'knocking someone off' that I didn't like. If you ignored everything, like dirty laundry, eventually it will pile up and be even worse when you have to get to it. This is their flawed thinking that makes me amazed how people can believe in this.

7. Knocking Off Things That Upset One

There is another action which consists of simply having the person stop doing things or associating with people that upset him.

One could say, “Knock off some of those things in your life that make you upset.”

“Who upsets you? Well, don’t talk to them for a while.”

“What activities leave you feeling worse? Well, just don’t do them for a while.”

“What things in the environment aren’t really a threat to you? All right, have you got some of those? Fine. Associate with those. Pay more attention to them.”

I dont know why they call it scientology because it litterally means ''study of science'' and science means by itself a study.

scientology = study of study!

They should call it richmorontology before they receive a dictionnary and newspapers as wedding gifts from me.

QUOTE (djay @ Nov 18 2007, 08:23 PM) I dont know why they call it scientology because it litterally means ''study of science'' and science means by itself a study.

scientology = study of study!

They should call it richmorontology before they receive a dictionnary and newspapers as wedding gifts from me.
Well first off the word "science" comes from latin and means knowledge. The Church of Scientology then take the word scientology to actually mean the "study of truth". Which makes more sense.

I can't say I know all of scientology, nor have I really completely read all the posts in this thread, but I just can't help but think how stupid scientology is simply based on some of it's ideas such as OT III, which encompasses Xenu, the Galactic Confederacy, and Body Thetans. This was the first thing I ever came across in regards to Scientology a couple years ago and ever since then I've just thought of it as a complete joke. The stories of Xenu bringing people to earth, stacking them all near volcanoes and blowing them up with hydrogen bombs is the most retarded thing I ever heard, though it did give me a great laugh when I first read it.

The theory of Scientology is almost outlandish it is almost a joke. According to scientology all humans are spiritual beings that live forever and possess a body. This spiritual body is called a thetan. This thetan is capable of doing anything (i.e. godlike in ability) if completely free but due to implants in the thetan these powers are limited.

After we die our thetan bodies travel to Venus where it watches some 3-d film for 36 days. The purpose of this is to mislead our thetan body into believing we are helpless beings. The film is also responsible for all the world religions. After this long film my understanding is that you are sent California were our thetan tries to find a unoccupied body i.e. a new born baby. The thetan will then fuse the body to become a person. This fusion of thetan and body is supposedly very traumatic and explains why they advocate the silent birth as they do not want to traumatise the thetan more than necessary.

The aim of scientology is to free our thetan body from the implants that limit our powers and this done through a series of audits. This is only a basic summary of scientology there is a lot of crazy theories about the origins of the thetan relating to Xenu. Check the link from wikipedia for more info:

Wikipedia/Xenu

Here's a couple "tube" video you guys might find interesting.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JCbKv9yiLiQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yozvaMGkDjo

And this article from CNET apparently confirms it.

http://www.news.com/8301-10789_3-9858436-5...ml?tag=nefd.pop

So it looks like there's a group called "Anonymous" who's trying to systematically dismantle the church of Scientology. No one knows who's behind it, no one knows how serious they are. But hey, whether it's serious or not, pretty interesting, no?

Hmmmm this anon group is probably more bite than bark. Scientology have a lot of money and have prominent members such as Tom Cruise making it difficult to dismantle such a organisation. The secretive nature of the group is another problem. To gain significant influence you will probably have to give up everything you own and lose contact with friends and family.

I think the group's a cult due to its pyramid structure where payment is required to rise levels in the organisation.

Eh, i suggest not to get involved with Anonymous and that whole thing going on

So it looks like there's a group called "Anonymous" who's trying to systematically dismantle the church of Scientology. No one knows who's behind it, no one knows how serious they are. But hey, whether it's serious or not, pretty interesting, no?

There's no anonymous, no one is behind it. It's not a group, it's more a stand-alone complex.
smile.gif

Allegorically speaking, it's the embodiment of the dark side of the Internet. And for once, they're fighting a darker opponent.

But it's interesting on two levels
-The potential pieces of information about Scientology being distributed widely.
-The influence of Internet wars (of course, they won't put down the CoS. But will they a sting in the foot ? Seing that will be interesting).

And as deadlylazers advices, I won't touch this stuff without my 10-feet pole (i.e. reading reports on some non-involved websites).

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back