Seiken no Blacksmith

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Ok I managed to catch the first episode and I have to admit it's kind of interesting on how the story is setup here. From what I can take from all of this it could be considered something related to the Fire Emblem premise in an odd way.

In any case I kind of like how they made it where a blacksmith actually uses his creations. not only that, but it was rather interesting to see how they kind of took somewhat of a magical standpoint for him forging a sword in the midst of a fight like that.

What a way to forge a sword oO Never saw something like magical blacksmithing somewhere. But its interesting and I think this is the reason why there arent that much Blacksmiths. I think thats far more difficult than normal forging. But the forging they do in town is just lousy. No wonder their swords are breaking easily.

The characters were good too. At first I thought Cecily is some annoying naive character who thinks she is the best even though she just sucks. But luckily she knows that she isnt good but is willing to learn and has courage.

Luke is interesting too, I think his background will be really something. I dont think the would stop blacksmithing just because his Father died. There must be something more to it.
And can it be that he has a glass eye or something? His left eye looked more unnatural than his right eye.

Great first episode, really interested in a few things now. For instance, the way Luke forges swords with Lisa, I don't know why but thats what caught most of my attention... anyway I just hope it can keep this up throughout the entire anime

Golly, that must be some really accommodating evil demon they're fighting. Did it brew up some tea and set out snacks for them while patiently waiting for the creation of a new sword to be killed with?

I find Campbell herself annoying. She falls to the ground and whines about her broken sword while she's about to be cut in half. Apparently, knight school in their locale concentrates mostly on repetitive declamation of your name rather than any combat skills. Well, that and providing improbably-designed breastplates.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Oct 03 2009, 03:24 PM)...far more difficult than normal forging.

Actually, it's something of a disservice to the art of bladecraft. Hold your hands with some tamahagane and a fused tsuka (in reality a bunch of distinct parts that don't stay together without the blade) in a glowy ball, do some chanting and presto, out pops your new weapon. Not much work at all compared to crafting an actual katana, which requires a number of individual craftsmen, their assistants and hundreds, if not thousands, of man-hours to complete. They also omitted quenching from his little mantra.

Oh, and if you just artfully flick your blade to "clean" it, you're going to have a rusty katana and a smelly saya with pooled and decomposing lycanthrope drippings.

BAH! This is a fantasy after all...not going to worry about all of the details as to how something is made and how it takes lots to do so...if I want reality, I will read up on it or watch it on some documentary. I liked the first episode, I liked Cecily's determination and guts...imo, she was not whiny at all. Luke is a sweetie, sure he gave her a rough time for a bit, but I think he sees she is capable of handling a sword, with the right training. And kawaii, elf-like/loli Lisa, was adorable. It will be interesting to find out the bond between Luke and Lisa. I look forward to Cecily killing masses of demons and bad guys, once she gets a hang of it.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Training, is it... am I the only one that noticed the girl in the green dress transform into a sword during the ED? Cecil is never going to get better, but rather leech off that girl's powers, or so it looked to me... I don't expect much skill from her at all, just want to make that clear.

That said, let us hope that I'm wrong and that she gets a real sword, not some "uber-blade" that is actually a beauty in disguise.

QUOTE (AnimeWiz07 @ Oct 04 2009, 09:08 PM) Training, is it... am I the only one that noticed the girl in the green dress transform into a sword during the ED? Cecil is never going to get better, but rather leech off that girl's powers, or so it looked to me... I don't expect much skill from her at all, just want to make that clear.

That said, let us hope that I'm wrong and that she gets a real sword, not some "uber-blade" that is actually a beauty in disguise.
Iunno, I think of it as the green-dress girl does whatever transforming thing for Cecil not as leeching off the power but as an amplification of the power.

For example our blacksmith, Luke, apparently just forged himself a fiery blade - a perfect counter to our icy beast. Is he dependant on the blade completely in order to obtain victory? Of course not, he's obviously a skilled sword-fighter, the blade simply acts to amplify his ability in order to overcome what would otherwise be insurmountable odds.

I would find it quite likely that Luke will teach Cecily the ways of the sword, and although she will likely never compare to Luke's abilities, I think she will become skilled in her own right.

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Oct 04 2009, 07:31 PM) Iunno, I think of it as the green-dress girl does whatever transforming thing for Cecil not as leeching off the power but as an amplification of the power.

For example our blacksmith, Luke, apparently just forged himself a fiery blade - a perfect counter to our icy beast.  Is he dependant on the blade completely in order to obtain victory?  Of course not, he's obviously a skilled sword-fighter, the blade simply acts to amplify his ability in order to overcome what would otherwise be insurmountable odds.

I would find it quite likely that Luke will teach Cecily the ways of the sword, and although she will likely never compare to Luke's abilities, I think she will become skilled in her own right.
I really hope your right, I may have been quick to judge because of how bad Cecily performed in this episode. I mean BAD, constantly collapsing and swinging her sword as if she hadn't even learned the basics yet; constantly stating her position as knight (ugh)... then again she was scared due to the fact that it was her first real combat experience. I'll wait a while for her to redeem herself, but I would still like it if she was able to match her opponents without the need of that girl, unless of course they use the same type of weapons.

QUOTE (AnimeWiz07 @ Oct 04 2009, 10:32 PM) I really hope your right, I may have been quick to judge because of how bad Cecily performed in this episode. I mean BAD, constantly collapsing and swinging her sword as if she hadn't even learned the basics yet; constantly stating her position as knight (ugh)... then again she was scared due to the fact that it was her first real combat experience. I'll wait a while for her to redeem herself, but I would still like it if she was able to match her opponents without the need of that girl, unless of course they use the same type of weapons.
Well, as has been explained, she's only been a knight for a very very short amount of time. She likely hasn't been trained at all, which is why she couldn't fight, she didn't know HOW.
Her father died, and it was custom in the family that a child become a knight, and since she was an only child she decided to pick up the mantle and continue the tradition. It seemed like she didn't expect to be a knight - it was a split second decision she came to after the tragic loss of her father - and thus she doesn't know the first thing about how to do anything because she never planned to do it.
It's also true that the illusion of authority is most often all that is required to get people to stop and obey. Just like when she stopped the one guy from trying to haggle by using his name, all it took was for her to act like she knew what she was doing and state that she was a knight and that was enough to prevent further conflict.

So she has duties as a knight, she has to patrol the town, but she isn't trained yet so she does whatever she can to the best of her abilities. When things went beyond her abilities (as with the crazy guy with the huge sword), she tried her best. She never claimed that she was better than anyone or that she knew what she was doing, she simply strived to do her duty to the best of her abilities. Since she doesn't have much ability to fight, she tried her best to prevent conflict by using her position (a knight, and daughter of whatever-her-father's-name-is), and the authority that that name implies.

If I were in a similar situation, I'd stand and claim to be a knight and of a strong heritage and etc too in hopes that that would be enough to stop the fight before it ever began. I'd pull my sword in hopes that it'd make the opponent think twice and back off. If they charge at me I'll do my best to fight back, but when my sword GETS CHOPPED IN HALF I'd be pretty crestfallen too...

What can I say, I'm an optimist.

Another way over the top assertion that Cecily will never get better...says who? So she performed bad in the first episode, so what? What is the point of the story, if not to meet Luke, learn some skills and more guts, 'cause guts she's got, she just needs more direction, then she can go on to defend what's hers to defend, and save the day. All, of course, with the entourage she will soon have...hah! I ain't gonna sweat this one at all...I am going to cheer Cecily on despite it all. She knows she's not got what it takes...not yet, anyway. I have known many a bumbling hero/heroine, who were quickly dismissed and tossed aside, then, in due time, and with determination and hard work, rose to greatness...go Cecily!
laugh.gif

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Oct 04 2009, 11:28 PM) Another way over the top assertion that Cecily will never get better...says who? So she performed bad in the first episode, so what? What is the point of the story, if not to meet Luke, learn some skills and more guts, 'cause guts she's got, she just needs more direction, then she can go on to defend what's hers to defend, and save the day. All, of course, with the entourage she will soon have...hah! I ain't gonna sweat this one at all...I am going to cheer Cecily on despite it all. She knows she's not got what it takes...not yet, anyway. I have known many a bumbling hero/heroine, who were quickly dismissed and tossed aside, then, in due time, and with determination and hard work, rose to greatness...go Cecily!
laugh.gif

/nod

I had a pretty good time watching the first episode. The Luke x Cecily pairing actually reminds me of Syaoran x Sakura from CCS. If you recall, Sakura was totally helpless in the beginning, but look at where she is at the end of the series?

The OP music was pretty good too, but the animation gave a little too much away... If my speculation is correct, Luke is able to bring Cecily's sword to life... aka the 3rd girl in the OP. The girl turning into Cecily's sword for an attack kinda ruined the suprise, just like VC . Overall, the 1st episode was well scripted, and painted a path for a grand adventure to come. Definitely going to keep watching this one.

So far episode 1 seems to have kept my interest. A blacksmith that uses some forbidden techniques to forge swords is pretty interesting as well as the fact that he's a pro swordsman, kinda reminds me of kenshin and I really hope this doesn't turn into a horrible series like plenty that we know

So we got som ebackground of the world in this ep. Its nothing special for this kind of anime, but I hope it wont get too boring.
But Im surprised that the mayor (at least I think he is something like that) forewas the meeting of Luke and Cecily. Maybe Cecily has something about her that makes her valuable for the sacred blade.

Im looking forward to see Cecilys reaction when Aria turns into a sword.

It seems like the battle forgery Luke did is only to forge something for a short time. The real katana are normally forged.
I wonder how much Cecily has to pay. I thought she had enough money. After all her family sounded like a rich family.

Intelient Systems needs to turn this into an SRPG for the DS.

I would totally import it.

Anyway, fun anime. I suppose Aria is something like a devil weapon like the ones on Soul Eater.

Looking forward to the next episode. This anime is pretty good.

well the generals refer to aria as something important maybe like a trump card and from the appearance as a sword and as a human she seems very pure so more likely some kinda holy weapon but it is gonna be interesting to get to know her a little more i think

oh and the broken chestplate thing was hilarious makes me think it would be the subject for future gags

QUOTE (Chooie @ Oct 11 2009, 06:08 PM) well the generals refer to aria as something important maybe like a trump card and from the appearance as a sword and as a human she seems very pure so more likely some kinda holy weapon but it is gonna be interesting to get to know her a little more i think

oh and the broken chestplate thing was hilarious makes me think it would be the subject for future gags
The chestplate part was funny, the most satisfying part about it for me was the beating that Luke got, his high and mighty attitude was starting to annoy me.

Overall, it was another good episode, pretty entertaining. I'll be looking foward to the next episodes and see how this "living sword" idea plays out.

Yeah the chest plate breaking revealing her was funny, its the same in every anime, an accident happens and the woman gets exposed but the guy who saw always ends up getting the beating
laugh.gif

I liked the meeting Luke was supposed to attend! kakashi and jiraiya were both there!
tongue.gif

What I don't understand about the chestplate thing is...she WAS wearing a shirt under it...She wears a black shirt thing under her chestplate, so when it shattered, what happened to the shirt? It 'shattered' too? lol...

This episode was okay, enough to keep me interested in the show. Overall the show isn't incredibly impressive, but it's decent.

Maybe the shirt is connected with the breastplate.

In any case the fight scene that they wraped up from the last episode kind of explained how he manages to fight in battle. Although it seems that she may be getting te wrong idea, but never the less lets him know about her inexperence on the fireld and wants so kind of help with that.

In any case it seems they even gave a background to what happened in the previous war they briefly mentioned in epsiode one here as well. So I'm expecting this to be one of those stories were they will do a flashback to explain to story more kind of deal. While there's nothing wrong with that, the only problem is how will it be delivered to the viewers.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back