Stalking of Haruhi.

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Anime-Addict

-dono
Sempai
I was "stumbling" around online, when I came across this. It is a Wiki dedicated to MHS, but that is not the really interesting thing. Somebody went around japan and found almost every scene in MHS in real life, and the similarity's are strikingly ientical. As an added bonus if you ever wanted to visit these locations, you can, as long as you have a GPS that can accept metric lattitude and longitude inputs.

Sh1a.jpg
Sh1r.jpg

Sh3a.jpg
Sh3r.jpg

Sh20a.jpg
Sh20r.jpg

Those were a few examples. If you wish to visit the wiki, use the following link.

http://etherchan.org/wiki/index.php/Stalking_Haruhi_Suzumiya

Wow, that's incredible. It must have taken a lot of time and effort to recreate those backgrounds. You'd think they'd make them themselves rather than do the "real thing". I'm impressed. Wow, they're pretty much identical. That's great!!! Can't wait to finish the series now:)

dude.. this is the coolest thing..
biggrin.gif
great find anime-addict.. i didn't kno that they drew the anime using actual locations.. that's insane.. i want to go there now..
laugh.gif

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 16 2007, 09:09 PM) Wow, that's incredible. It must have taken a lot of time and effort to recreate those backgrounds. You'd think they'd make them themselves rather than do the "real thing". I'm impressed. Wow, they're pretty much identical. That's great!!! Can't wait to finish the series now:)
Actually if you think about it...it's actually much easier to draw places from a picture than to come up with it from imagination. Anyhow, KyoAni is well known for using real locations as their anime background...you should have seen the comparison pictures of Hong Kong when KyoAni was doing the animation of Full Metal Panic: TSR
laugh.gif

It's amazing how much detail they include in it also. They draw all the menial things that you normally wouldn't even think twice about if it wasn't there, like both sewers in the same position on the road scene, and some of the same signs in the second scene.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jan 17 2007, 12:47 AM) It's amazing how much detail they include in it also. They draw all the menial things that you normally wouldn't even think twice about if it wasn't there, like both sewers in the same position on the road scene, and some of the same signs in the second scene.
Thats also what I find impressive. As someone already said, drawing places based on real places, is just a way to inspire the artist. But so much attention to details is rare indeed!

There is no doubt that they used the real life locations for the background. WOOOOW, really well made.

Sometimes I was wondering if the studios do that....especially after seeing a very well made downtown background in a scene. Since I occationally draw myself, I pay attention to backgrounds. Now I have a proof, that indeed they get inspiration from real places.... cool!!
biggrin.gif

haha!.. i was just wonderin.. it would be easy to be the artist and show these picture out to the public to show how good i drew all that.. but if i was just an Otaku, and i was to go to all the site places and take pictures according to the anime screenshots just to say that i've done it.. it would be physically and mentally impossible..
ph34r.gif

I made a post back when Higurashi was airing, that someone had done a similar thing in photographing the places used in the anime. It might be a fairly common practice. It shouldn't be surprising I suppose .... American shows often have landmarks in them that the viewers would recognize.

I've known that for quite a while now
tongue.gif
(Haha!At last,I'm in advance position,for the first time!
cool.gif
)It's mentioned in a anime magazine in my country,about 3,4 month earlier,they're showing the very same picture!
laugh.gif
(Guess their source is the same as Anime Addict-san
laugh.gif
)But many anime have done so,some of FMP:2nd Raid's settings was actually animated from real Kowloon(if i'm correct..) in Hong Kong!
laugh.gif
But no doubt,KyoAni've animated that really well
laugh.gif

Well, d'observer, since FMP TSR is also animated by KyoAni, it's no surprise
tongue.gif

It would have been OH SO COOL to live there while the show was being aired. "I know this place... In fact, I was there this morning!"

QUOTE (Marine-RX179 @ Jan 16 2007, 11:30 PM) Actually if you think about it...it's actually much easier to draw places from a picture than to come up with it from imagination.
Actually, it's harder to re create actual life into drawings. It would take much more time and hard work to find the locations, copy and try to make the drawing as similar as possible to the real thing. But if the artists were free to use their imagination, it would be quite simpler. They'd need to think more, but It would be quicker to draw that way. Recreating something is harder than making something on your own.

It would be much harder to copy a persons drawing from scratch rather than make your own.

eg.
Well for someone it would be easier to draw some random Gundam of their own rather than try to recreate the Freedom lol, thats assuming the person could "draw".

I have a feeling that this discussion will grow, so mabey a mod could merge these posts into a new thread titled something like "Is it easier to recreate something rather than make your own?".

QUOTE (Nosgoroth @ Jan 17 2007, 03:21 PM) Well, d'observer, since FMP TSR is also animated by KyoAni, it's no surprise
tongue.gif

It would have been OH SO COOL to live there while the show was being aired. "I know this place... In fact, I was there this morning!"
Yup! That's true!
tongue.gif
Probably it's KyoAni's style with their production?Besides,KyoAni usually makes 12-13 ep. anime,with AWESOME animation quality
laugh.gif

Yup thats cool to see that, I'm not sure but I think they did that to Initial D series' setting like the Gunma area.......I don't really remember.

Cya

That's really interesting.. I wonder how far they went with that... like the school..? even the clubroom? ^^

Old news is ooooooooold, but a nice find anyway. Many anime companies do this, though most of these places are first based from their manga/visual novel beginnings which already had these places in mind. I don't think this would apply to Haruhi since it was a light novel first but others like Higurashi that chiisai said or other KyoAni productions like Kanon and Air (though the Key games already modeled those towns in the games after real places at the time).

Here's the comparison between Kanon 2002 and the real city it was based on (the same goes for Kanon 2006 and the game that preceded both). The last two shots are the anime (left) and the game (right).

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back