Suggestions for a Browser Problem

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

chiisai_hana

-nipah!
Retired
At first I thought it was just facebook, but now I'm encountering problems on other sites (like livejournal). For example, I'll write up a nice long message to a friend on facebook and when I hit "send" it shades it in like it's going to send, but after a while Firefox reports at the bottom that it's "done" loading/whatnot but nothing happens. It does not send. Or post. Or do whatever the button is suppose to do. I am now encountering this on similar sites when I go to delete messages, add posts, etc. It pretends like it's going to load to the next page but never does.

It's also seems to be getting progressively worse, which is why I thought at first it was just Facebook (where I can no longer wall post, send messages, add/delete events, add/delete friends, or just about anything). It's like every day I discover some new forbidden action. While it's nice that my computer is trying to force me to study, this is getting a bit frustrating. It's been going on for quite a few weeks now and like I said, getting worse.

I tried reinstalling my java but that had no effect. Anything else I should try? Is it just my browser? Do I need to update Firefox? Or is it just the internet's way of telling me to study?

Hmmm... I think it's telling to you study more... Hahahahahahaaaa... Just kidding!!!
laugh.gif

Uhmm, honestly, I'm puzzled by your problem... It's one of those weird problems that you get once in a blue moon!!!
tongue.gif
Anyway... I'll try to help you out. I can only think of a few reasons for your problem. First, if you have "no script" on your browser, then that might be the culprit. Try turning it off. If you don't use that... Then, your browser might have been "corrupted". So, you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling your browser.
rolleyes.gif

Last, but not the least, your computer might have been infected by some sort of virus. It's probably a worm. Try doing a full system scan with your antivirus software. By the way, I heard it's better if you do the scan in safe mode. Or, if you're using Avast, then conduct a boot time scan. Then, do a full system scan using your anti-malware or anti-spyware software. Again, it may help if you do it in safe mode. Uhmm, I use Spybot-S&D in conjunction with Ad-Aware...
rolleyes.gif

If those don't fix your problem, then you may need to reinstall your Windows... Or, worse... You might need to reformat your hard drive and then reinstall your Windows. But... It's all up to you whether you want to do these things...
unsure.gif
I think it's best if you wait for the opinion or input from other people before you do anything drastic...
rolleyes.gif

Sore ja... Mata ne!!!
tongue.gif

What is "no script"?

Also, I tried out the sites in Internet Explorer this morning and everything worked fine. Which leads me to believe that it's a Firefox problem ... If I reinstall the browser, I lose all the bookmarks right? I know you can save them, but I tried that once and it didn't work for me.

I've also been doing my virus and adware scans and nothing as shown up so hopefully I don't have to get that drastic
tongue.gif
Although it has been suggested I might need to defrag my hard drive since I've been letting it get down to 300mb of free space and some things are starting to go wonky ... (note that it now as 9GB of free space, I just can't keep up with deleting)

No script is a kind of security add on for firefox, with it you can for example block if you want JavaScripts etc... on certain websites.

About saving bookmarks, uhm you just have to click on bookmarks, then go to bookmark manager, click on file, choose export and then you can save it on your pc I hope that helps a little^^.

No script doesn't really help. She's not the only one with that kind of problem.
I've had that kind of problem for a very long time now.

edit: I'd rather die than to give up my bookmarks on firefox. gg's.

QUOTE (JunMisugi @ Mar 19 2008, 01:08 PM) About saving bookmarks, uhm you just have to click on bookmarks, then go to bookmark manager, click on file, choose export and then you can save it on your pc I hope that helps a little^^.
Huh, that's different from how I was told to do it (the way which didn't work). Thank you~ Handy tip to remember.

QUOTE (noob @ Mar 19 2008, 02:39 PM)No script doesn't really help. She's not the only one with that kind of problem.
I've had that kind of problem for a very long time now.
Actually quite a few other people have told me they're having problems with facebook too, which makes me wonder if we're just all using the same browser and having the same problems. Guess I'll just go with IE for now, unless anyone knows if reinstalling Firefox will definately fix the problem.

Facebook probably fails at supporting Firefox. Or it supports some web standard Firefox fails to support while IE does support (which would be strange). I would suggest trying Firefox 3.0 beta 4 if you must stick to FF.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

Otherwise I'd suggest testing a different browser instead of Firefox 2.0 or IE (ugh).

/me recommends Opera 9.26 but not 9.5 snapshots.

I've had this problem before and uninstalling FF did work to fix it. But I was also having problems with my internet too. I've also heard that face book has been having some problems as of late, so it could be a combination of both. If you can't save your bookmarks there is another way to do it, but it takes forever and I don't really recommend it. But what you do is open up word processor, or whatever you use, then open all your bookmarks and copy and paste all your bookmarks URL's in word processor. Its a pain but it works. But anyway reinstalling FF should fix your problems. Hope I was of any use.

Uhmm... Now that we're talking about the Opera web browser... I have a question about it. Is it true that the Opera browser has a download resumption capability?
rolleyes.gif
I have been curious about Opera for a while now, you see... And, hehe, if it does have this functionality, then it might be worth looking into...
tongue.gif

QUOTE (chreyzee @ Mar 23 2008, 11:26 AM) Uhmm... Now that we're talking about the Opera web browser... I have a question about it. Is it true that the Opera browser has a download resumption capability? :rolleyes: I have been curious about Opera for a while now, you see... And, hehe, if it does have this functionality, then it might be worth looking into... :p
Yes it does, I think any decent browser should have one. ;P

QUOTE (Harukalover @ Mar 23 2008, 01:19 PM)Yes it does, I think any decent browser should have one. ;P
*cough* Firefox doesn't have it though...
laugh.gif
Although... I heard that the developers are planning to include this functionality in a future version of Firefox... when that will be is unknown...
tongue.gif
Safari has this functionality... I don't know whether IE has it. Anyway... I already downloaded and installed Opera. Hehe, I'm actually using it now!
wink.gif
So far, I think it's great. Using it is a bit different compared to Firefox but I'm already getting used to the small differences. And, it was pretty convenient when Opera "stole" all of my bookmarks from my Firefox browser...
laugh.gif
And, I don't think I have to reinstall browser plugins... unlike what happened when I started using Firefox...
dry.gif

Sore ja... Mata ne!!!
tongue.gif

I have still not fixed this problem.

First, I upgraded to the beta version of Firefox 3 - that did not work.
Second, I removed all Firefox programs from my computer and reinstalled version 2 - that did not work.
Third, I removed all Firefox programs, rebooted, and reinstalled beta version 3 - not working.

What I have noticed, however, is that every time I reinstall Firefox it has my bookmarks and site logins still saved. This means it wasn't completely removed, right? I am going to "control panel - add/remove programs" and it says it has uninstalled the program ...

I've asked a lot of my friends who use Facebook & Firefox and none of them have experienced problems with the combination. Any further suggestions on what I can do? Is something else wrong on my end?

I had a similar problem. For me it was something in the settings, like javascript or cookies settings. When you just do a regular reinstall it keeps the settings.

QUOTE What I have noticed, however, is that every time I reinstall Firefox it has my bookmarks and site logins still saved. This means it wasn't completely removed, right? I am going to "control panel - add/remove programs" and it says it has uninstalled the program ...

After uninstalling:

Go to "My Computer" >whatever harddrive windows is on > program files > then delete the mozilla folder. This deletes all preferences/bookmarks/etc.
Then, install the newest non-beta firefox. When I did this I had no problems. Its worth a shot.

But if you use any other mozilla stuff, like thunderbird, then instead of deleting the mozilla folder, go inside it and delete just the firefox folder. This way you can keep thunderbird.

QUOTE (chickenwing71x @ May 08 2008, 08:17 PM) After uninstalling:

Go to "My Computer" >whatever harddrive windows is on > program files > then delete the mozilla folder. This deletes all preferences/bookmarks/etc.
Then, install the newest non-beta firefox. When I did this I had no problems. Its worth a shot.

But if you use any other mozilla stuff, like thunderbird, then instead of deleting the mozilla folder, go inside it and delete just the firefox folder. This way you can keep thunderbird.
Actually he probably has to remove the Mozilla folder in %appdata% to just remove user preferences/bookmarks/profiles/history/etc.

Start --> Run : %appdata%

Should bring you to where the Mozilla user data folder is kept. Delete that and it should likely kill off user data.

Thank you! As Harukalover said, I needed to delete the %appdata% file for it to work. Facebook is now working for me again, so it has fixed whatever problem there was.

QUOTE (Harukalover @ May 08 2008, 09:30 PM)
Actually he probably has to remove the Mozilla folder
It's "she" btw
wink.gif

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ May 08 2008, 07:37 PM) It's "she" btw
wink.gif

Yeah, it just so happens that she watches yuri, just like how mkk watched yaoi lolll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back