The Great Anime Crash of 2010

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

NeoScott

-san
Kouhai
With the news that announced anime for spring 2010 total only 25, down from an incredible peak of 60 or more in the heady spring of 2006, many cannot help but conclude that the anime bubble has finally burst.

Having approximately 25 titles announced so far (with at most a further 5-10 unannounced titles thought possible), the spring 2010 season is dwarfed by the output of previous years in the same season, which exceeded 60 shows by some counts, and represents the most precipitous decline yet.

With the bulk of recent titles made up by the products of the so-called “moe boom,” most observers seem to consider the collapse to have been caused by a surge of nondescript or outright dubious titles flooding the market.

Recent years have also seen the worst excesses of the anime industry reach absurd proportions, with the Endless Eight fiasco a case in point.

Sentiment increasingly seems to view this not as a debilitating crash but instead as a much needed return to normalcy, with the industry now having the chance to replace an unsustainable torrent of vapid and low quality shows with the kind of quality franchises which projected the industry into its boom in the first place.

Http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/01/17/t...finally-bursts/

So what do you all think about this? Has MOE killed anime? Has the industries lost it's creative edge? Is the trend dying off? Or just leveling off?

I read this in Sankaku Complex recently and I was really surprised... I mean "ONLY 25 ANIME FOR SPRING O_O WTF?" Personally, before making conclusion, I'd like to say that this crash is for Spring for the moment (That's my hope xD). Maybe for Summer, it will have a big boom, who knows?

Now about this crash, I think it is a combination between moe killing anime slowly and a lack of creativity for some productions. But a few series could mean better quality. I prefer "25 anime for Spring 2010 and most of them are really great" than "60 anime for Spring 2010 but ZOMG 90% of them are crappy" ^^'

QUOTE (NeoScott @ Jan 21 2010, 12:45 AM) Sentiment increasingly seems to view this not as a debilitating crash but instead as a much needed return to normalcy, with the industry now having the chance to replace an unsustainable torrent of vapid and low quality shows with the kind of quality franchises which projected the industry into its boom in the first place.

I am hoping for this posibility. Personally, I would love to see anime return to long series once again. I know, not many people share my opinion and feel that long animes (over 50 episodes) lose appeal, but I am tired of short animes. By the time you start really enjoying the show, its over.

Oh, only 25 titles announced for spring 2010? Geeee, now how many of those will be moe, ecchi and harem? I dont even want to think about that.... its not just moe thats killing the anime industry you know?

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jan 22 2010, 02:46 PM) I am hoping for this posibility. Personally, I would love to see anime return to long series once again. I know, not many people share my opinion and feel that long animes (over 50 episodes) lose appeal, but I am tired of short animes. By the time you start really enjoying the show, its over.

Oh, only 25 titles announced for spring 2010? Geeee, now how many of those will be moe, ecchi and harem? I dont even want to think about that.... its not just moe thats killing the anime industry you know?
I do agree that some series should be longer then what they were (Eden of the East for one, but thankfully there will be a movie.)

But for some shows need to die off quickly(Kampfer, it was fun to watch, but we don't need 50+ eps of it,) it's all about balance.

I'm new to anime (Saw Gundamn wing, and Escoflona when they aired in Canada, but only really started to watch a lot of it in mid summer 2008) So there not a huge crash here for me as much as their might be for others, out of 25 series I'm maybe going to watching 10. I'm not sure how this trend will go.

QUOTE (NeoScott @ Jan 22 2010, 04:15 PM) I do agree that some series should be longer then what they were (Eden of the East for one, but thankfully there will be a movie.)

But for some shows need to die off quickly(Kampfer, it was fun to watch, but we don't need 50+ eps of it,) it's all about balance.

I'm new to anime (Saw Gundamn wing, and Escoflona when they aired in Canada, but only really started to watch a lot of it in mid summer 2008) So there not a huge crash here for me as much as their might be for others, out of 25 series I'm maybe going to watching 10. I'm not sure how this trend will go.
Well, I am not sure how about others, but I watch only about 5-6 shows per season on the averige, two of them being Bleach and Naruto.... so 10 shows is actually pretty good. Besides, if you are so new on the anime scene, there should be hundreds of finished shows waiting for you to download them, right?

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jan 22 2010, 05:29 PM) Well, I am not sure how about others, but I watch only about 5-6 shows per season on the averige, two of them being Bleach and Naruto.... so 10 shows is actually pretty good. Besides, if you are so new on the anime scene, there should be hundreds of finished shows waiting for you to download them, right?
agreed.

but still, i prefer to have loads of options to chose from..."having in exess is better than lacking" is how i think for almost everything thats good. (of course having deceases in exess wouldnt be something cool right?
laugh.gif
)

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jan 22 2010, 05:29 PM) Well, I am not sure how about others, but I watch only about 5-6 shows per season on the averige, two of them being Bleach and Naruto.... so 10 shows is actually pretty good. Besides, if you are so new on the anime scene, there should be hundreds of finished shows waiting for you to download them, right?
Hee, I think you over estimate how much of a life I have.

For me it doesnt matter if they announce 60 or only 25. What matters to me his how these 60 oder 25 are doing and this year was really a huge disappointment up until now regarding the animes who started in January.
So I would be pretty happy if they dont do derpy animes anymore and only make a dew really good ones.

For a bit more statistics, 2006 was the peak of the anime bubble before it burst in 2007 where the number of titles dropped from 60 to 40, which held on for 2008 and 2009, so technically speaking it's an incorrect portrayal to be using 2006 as the year of comparison. 40 to 25 is not that big of a shock when looking at it, but the bigger shock is that the number of titles dropped to what a Winter or Summer season would have given the past few years (obviously discounting the current season).

Regardless, I do agree with doofus that quality =/= quantity. What I don't agree with a lot of you is that this will weed out a lot of "pointless" shows, mainly due to how reliant the industry has become on manga, light novels, visual novels, and games for anime adaptations. It's going to take years before they shift away from this and for the industry to start becoming more creative like the were in the 80s and 90s. In all honesty, the anime industry doesn't have years at this point. It's going to need something soon that can really pull it out right now. What this decreases in series will do however, is weed out poor animation companies (e.g. Gonzo
dry.gif
), as well as poor staff/directors.

Too right, mate.

Even with the series number going down this year, the titles I've seen listed so far are all either ecchi/fanservice titles or just dumb-looking. Although this is judging a book by its cover, the only show that really has caught my attention in the upcoming season(s) thus far is Da Capo III.

Honestly speaking, if you're going to find any good anime this year, it will probably be from this current season. Titles include Durarara!!, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Dance in the Vampire Bund.

If we're lucky, the rumored Shakugan no Shana III may be out this fall, but since the second of four OVAs has yet to be released, something tells me we may not be getting the third season so soon.

QUOTE What I don't agree with a lot of you is that this will weed out a lot of "pointless" shows, mainly due to how reliant the industry has become on manga, light novels, visual novels, and games for anime adaptations. It's going to take years before they shift away from this and for the industry to start becoming more creative like the were in the 80s and 90s. In all honesty, the anime industry doesn't have years at this point. It's going to need something soon that can really pull it out right now. What this decreases in series will do however, is weed out poor animation companies (e.g. Gonzo ), as well as poor staff/directors.

totaly agreed.

and for the good animes this year part. i think we will depend a lot on the ongoing series (including the ones already out this season).

some of these are really good in my opinion, and some others are not for my taste but might be intresting for someone else.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Bleach, Dance In The Vampire Bund, Gintama, Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (2009), Hanasakeru Seishounen, Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn!, Kimi ni Todoke, Kobato, Ladies versus Butlers!, Naruto Shippuuden, Nodame Cantabile: Finale, Ookami Kakushi (the masterpiece of the season so far, in my opinion), Seikon no Qwaser (the epic fail of the season so far. killed by sensors), Shugo Chara Party!, Slap Up Party: Arad Senki, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, and Yumeiro Patissiere.

QUOTE (doofus123 @ Jan 23 2010, 04:44 AM) Quantity =/= quality.
This is a good trend. It weeds out all those lousy, plotless, moe-blob, and fanservice-only shows (I'm looking at you, Saki).
I miss how it was in the pre 2005 era, when there was one AWESOME anime released per year, and often no more than one (usually in the fall season). e.g., Gundam seed in 2002, and Fullmetal Alchemist in 2003.

Also, moved thread from the thoughtful section.
Agree totally with your premise, doofie-san, that pre 2005, most, if not all anime, was well done. I don't bother with the run-of-the-mill stuff that is considered anime, these days. Just not my style nor taste. Sure, I dabbed in a few, but with the exception of a few, I dropped them all. I am interested in watching older animes nowadays, or animes that are considered out of the main stream and not moe-infested or what appeals to the masses.
What remains as far as the current trend goes, or what is hopeful, is that if one looks hard enough, or combs through the anime grind, you will find a gem...not many, but they do still exist.
wink.gif

Here's hoping for more...my take? Quality over quantity...any time!

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Jan 23 2010, 02:16 PM)
Here's hoping for more...my take? Quality over quantity...any time!
you are so reading my mind amiga. This whole discussion reminds me of that thread "the president is my girlfriend" or so similar. That was a prime example of anime for brainless otakus.

Hopefully, we will be getting higher quality animes soon, based on some quality manga or novels.

Getting quality stuff is great and all... but that still doesn't solve our immediate boredom problem. /zoroyawn As for this weeding out business, I am still seeing garbage like Ladies vs Butler... so I am not sure its working.

Now for my 2cents: Good mecha animes are already far and few in between... with the cutback, its going to kill me.

The upside, at least this will give me more time to play FF13 when it comes out
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Bladewind @ Jan 25 2010, 10:38 AM) The upside, at least this will give me more time to play FF13 when it comes out
tongue.gif

This won't last long. If I have no exams that week, I'll finish it within the span of 3 days; 7 days top for being a completionist.

Moe hasn't killed anime. it just delayed the enebatable.

I blame the greedy American corperations who licensed the anime and then ovrepriced them. and then one Company decided to monopolize the business here in America by buying out several of their compeditors and stealing licenses out from other companies. (FUNI) the "anime crash" began in America and then hit Japan. And it all began when Funi started to monopolize everyone else. Monopolise have NEVER been good for business.

But seeing the anime industry go back to it's roots with about 25-40 anime a year is just what the doctor ordered.

I'm gonna lead more towards blaming this little thing called a global economic recession that we were in and are pretty much still in, though recovering a bit from. During a recession taking risks on shows is not something you really want to be doing and at the time moe and ecchi shows were sure to sell at the very least. They were safe. Thus the influx of moe and such and the less shows of other varieties.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jan 25 2010, 03:12 PM) Thus the influx of moe and such and the less shows of other varieties.
And thus, for the true anime enthusiast...a snore fest for sure, as all these ecchi/moe infested series, are the same over and over again, with the same regurgitated story lines and female characters and lacking in any real quality or originality. I don't mind waiting for quality shows to come along even if it be at a snail's pace, since I know from years gone by, quality series are still to be had.
wink.gif

This is a good trend. It weeds out all those lousy, plotless, moe-blob, and fanservice-only shows (I'm looking at you, Saki).
I miss how it was in the pre 2005 era, when there was one AWESOME anime released per year, and often no more than one (usually in the fall season). e.g., Gundam seed in 2002, and Fullmetal Alchemist in 2003.

I don't think so Tim. Right now, I can think of a handful of those kind of shows without having to look at the chart.

In any case, anyone noticed the "trap boom" lately? I mean literally, Prunus Girl, Baka to Test, Maria+Holic etc. Traps are becoming more and more, err, popular per se. I wonder if traps will replace generic moe characters in the coming years...

-edit-

QUOTE When companies put less money into making anime they have to deiced on what genera sell well, Hence the large amount of Moe going on.

Well yeah, don't forget about character battles, fanservice, exploiting fandom, etc. It's pretty similar to what's happened with the game industry. They make what sells well.

I really can't string all my points together, so some might just be one liners or have nothing to do with the previous line.

It's a valid point to say that we're weeding out bad anime by releasing less of them, but the mirror effect happens here, Companies aren't taking risks on decent manga that could turn out to be great anime. We could be weeding out the possibility of better animators, story bored artists, We're not just losing out on anime here, it's an industries, every step of making an anime needs someone there.

Less anime = less jobs

When companies put less money into making anime they have to deiced on what genera sell well, Hence the large amount of Moe going on.

The anime industry has been ruined long time ago already by moe loli stuff like shakugan no shana, zero no tsukaima, K-on, haruhi and most of kyoani shows(Clannad winning stuff in our little poll for example).

I can only hope that such studios will die out, but so far with thousands of clannad and k-on clones released every season, anime industry has a very bleak future, here we get millions of clannads, k-ons and other kitsch-anime per season..

QUOTE This is a good trend. It weeds out all those lousy, plotless, moe-blob, and fanservice-only shows (I'm looking at you, Saki).

I find it amusing that this person seems to "miss the old good times of great anime shows" and then he quotes such lackluster mainstream things like Kira Seed or old "fma", both of them almost equaling current moe kitsch.

Surelly there were a lot of better shows like Paranoia Agent.

Even after 2005 e had many great shows like Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror and Mononoke, both off them overshadowed by random moe blob anime like kanon.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back