Too dependent on the internet?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Do you think we have become too dependent on the internet?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Unsure

• Total voters
QUOTE (monsta666 @ Jul 16 2008, 08:37 PM) I think your definition is too broad. If we apply this definition then we are too dependant on nearly everything. We are not debating whether we are dependant on the internet (we can all agree we are dependant on it to a certain extent) the question lies on whether we are too dependant.

Take marriage as an example. When we are married we are dependant on our spouse (finacially, emotionally etc). However this dependence is not a bad thing. Our pooled income becomes greater (I can buy a bigger house etc when married) while I gain emotional support through my spouse. The problem comes when we are too dependant i.e all my income comes from my husband/wife or I depend on them to make every decision in my life. If it gets to that stage I am too dependant on my spouse. I feel the same can be said of the internet.

In my eyes too much dependence is akin to a form of addiction. Addiction can be defined as a compulsion to carry out a certain activity to the determent of the individuals physical/mental health or social will being.
Please read my previous post (16th July). I will stick to my definition because i dont see dependent as that bad, i guess i am stuck with the prejudice view of me being too dependent on the internet in the sense that without it life will be less interesting and therefore worse. Therefore i justify my views with my definition which is unfortunatly different to yours. Its going at it the wrong way around but im a bit too stuborn
laugh.gif

I believe most other readers in this thread proubably on first impression assume my definition (with votes 54 against 12, a large enough margin to concider notable).

As i have said before in my previous post (why do i feel as if my posts get ignored), assuming your definition then my answer will be the same as yours

I would not say dependant on the internet asmuch as just communication itself. Cell Phones, PDAs, Laptops, all these wireless communication devices... we have come to adapt to and rely on. If you need to tell someone to talk to you later.... you normally say "call me on my cell". or "talk to you online later" stuff like that. Its true that the internet and all the communication devices are a great gift to our world and socicity but I do believe that at times... we are TOO dependant on it...

QUOTE (darkness_n_destruction @ Jul 16 2008, 08:46 PM)i am stuck with the prejudice view of me being too dependent on the internet in the sense that without it life will be less interesting and therefore worse.
Even this is debatable. Speaking from personal experience (and I use the internet quite a lot). I had a period where I didn't have internet access for 4 months. At first it sucked but after a while I did other things to occupy my time (read books went out for walks/jogs). So all in all any benefits I gained from the internet I got elsewhere. The point is if people lost the internet they will find other ways of compensating (use mobile phones etc). In the end their life is no more entertaining than when they had the internet.

Sure you might find the odd person who would really suffer if they didn't have internet access but I don't think our average Jo has reached that stage... Yet!
ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Nightdragon @ Jul 19 2008, 04:23 PM)I would not say dependant on the internet asmuch as just communication itself. Cell Phones, PDAs, Laptops, all these wireless communication devices... we have come to adapt to and rely on.
I would agree we are very dependant on mobile phones (more than the internet). Mobile phones makes life easier but they aren't without disadvantages. I remember when I would go to my friends house when I wanted to talk to them. With mobiles you no longer get that!
sad.gif
God I feel so old!
laugh.gif

All communication devices have a network of businesses each with army of technicians and helper people to maintain these communication devices. So even though these communication devices may not seem to rely on the internet, the people behind them do. Assuming this is on global scale, without the internet in our current culture, there would be a global economic crash due to the lack of communication. Then war would breakout, there would be a lack of food distribution....and the problems would go on forever. I do not believe we are too dependent on the internet, its just that it has become something as necessary as the air we breathe. you might call it a necessary evil.

QUOTE (Ramdomiize @ Jul 25 2008, 10:41 PM)All communication devices have a network of businesses each with army of technicians and helper people to maintain these communication devices. So even though these communication devices may not seem to rely on the internet, the people behind them do. Assuming this is on global scale, without the internet in our current culture, there would be a global economic crash due to the lack of communication. Then war would breakout, there would be a lack of food distribution....and the problems would go on forever. I do not believe we are too dependent on the internet, its just that it has become something as necessary as the air we breathe. you might call it a necessary evil.
If the internet fails there are switchboards and telephone directories. So we could still contact those technicians!
smile.gif
The internet is big but we're not as dependant on it as oil. If oil ran out tomorrow then the world would really be in trouble!
ph34r.gif

That said if the internet where to disappear it is likely many countries would face an economic recession (especially if we consider the current market). This recession wouldn't happen because of a lack of communication (we would still have mobiles, fax machines etc) but by many companies suffering a loss of sales. Many businesses make a significant amount of trade via the internet.

Then again not all companies would fear the internet disappearing. I bet the music industry would have a field day if it went. No more internet pirates!
laugh.gif
I suppose the million dollar will be how the anime industry will cope? Will it be better off without internet fansubbers? I think not but it is difficult to say with any certainty.

That's as far as it would go. I seriously doubt wars would break out if the internet went and there would not be widespread famine. Developed countries will be able to cope and third world countries don't use the internet as much anyway. So no one will lose out in that sense.

I cant really imagine wars starting though if the internet was gone not to mention widespread famine.

Although technically the only ones who will truly suffer is just bussinesses, people who dont like to pay for software stuff and us anime lovers, although we can still buy anime dvds at stores, but that gets a tad expensive.

I'd have to say YES since I myself would have a real hard time living without it. Not just because it provides unlimited information but also since it's my source of pleasure. Anime, TV-shows and everything else that's out here really make you dependent of it, now i'm not saying I would die if it just dissapeared but life wouldn't be as fun.

I also think the net has become the western worlds means of communication and that a lot of people and companies are extremly dependant on it on top of that the net generates a lot of jobs, I wouldn't even want to imagine what would happen if all those people lost their jobs.

Well no point thinking about it since it here to stay
tongue.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back