virus at home page

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

chiisai_hana

-nipah!
Retired
Are the popup ads on the main page here to stay? I've just gotten a few of them, and they were rather surprising. I understand the site needs money, but are popups the way you're going? (I even have a popup blocker on and they came up
blink.gif
)

Edit: And they seem to have disappeared as suddenly as they appeared?

Popups and popunders have NOT been enabled and should NOT be showing on the website/forums. Yet, I have seen these show up myself and the reporting from the advertising company reports that atleast a few hundred others have seen them as well. If you see one, please do not be discouraged as any popups/popunders that you see are completely unintentional. While we are receiving revenue from the popups and popunders, we believe that they undermine the integrity of the site, reducing the quality of the user experience, and have taken the appropriate steps to have this situation resolved.

Please bear with us as we wait for the advertising company to correct their ad serving code.

No problem. The popups / popunders pay really well but they're not worth it in my opinion. We don't need THAT much money...

i definitely agree with that.. popups / popunders are terrible for a user's experience, and in my honest opinion any website that has such advertising methods doesn't deserve much of my time.

so thanks for thinking about the users and not focus on revenue, daft! not that i expected anything else from you
wink.gif

/jp

QUOTE (daft27 @ Apr 22 2006, 12:14 AM) Popups and popunders have NOT been enabled and should NOT be showing on the website/forums. Yet, I have seen these show up myself and the reporting from the advertising company reports that atleast a few hundred others have seen them as well. If you see one, please do not be discouraged as any popups/popunders that you see are completely unintentional. While we are receiving revenue from the popups and popunders, we believe that they undermine the integrity of the site, reducing the quality of the user experience, and have taken the appropriate steps to have this situation resolved.

Please bear with us as we wait for the advertising company to correct their ad serving code.
that sounds so cool
ph34r.gif

QUOTE (wceend @ Apr 22 2006, 09:35 AM) that sounds so cool
ph34r.gif

What daft said may be cool. But what you just said is less cool since it is spam!
Please don't do it again.

I just got a second one. I hope this gets cleared up. Fansub.tv is awesome, but popups are not.
smile.gif

Actually, I CAN see a use for popups, if they really are profitable. That would be on direct download links. I think that would be a fair trade, after all, since more of Fansub.tv's resources get used for DDLs, and that could work well for offsetting costs and perhaps even new servers. It's a "fair trade" you know? But I got the popup after clicking on a torrent link, and that just feels too much like profiting off someone else's work.

I'm all for Fansub.tv covering its costs (and maybe even a little extra of course), but a line does need to be drawn. I'm glad it's getting worked out.

Yes, I would like to stab these popups just as much as you do. They're disgraceful and unsightly... and do not fit to be in this Host Club. Unfortunately, it takes Clicksor like 3-5 days to respond.
dry.gif

Getting a pop-up on the screenshot page.
Not sure if its related to the other one.

Let me know if you see any more of these things show up. I got a response back and they said they investigated + fixed the problem.

I got something that was blocked by my firefox on the front page of FTV.
So it was about 2 minutes before the time of this post.

I tried to go back to the home page and did not get any pop-up this time. So it looks as if its not always happening.

--
Edit: I think you can disregard this message. I was at school and I think the default firefox settings blocked a PM notification.

If I get it again I will post back.

I haven't gotten any today, but when I was getting them they didn't come up all the time. An hour spent on the site might give one or two (and not always the main page, I got one on the forum). So it's hard to know, because like bold said, they weren't all the time.

right now i'm searching around the site...

Also, anybody notice something wrong with the "information button" what was hilighted along with a description of FTV at the left side? it's starting to get annoying...

The advertisement on the main page tries to load a Trojan Horse virus onto your PC... It is rather annoying, my Anti-virus blocks it, but, it is still quite annoying... Its not ALWAYS in the advertisment, but sometimes it is, others it isnt...

hmm??? i've never noticed a trojan Horse virus onto my computer... hmm... are you sure it's FTV??? i might as well check it out...

QUOTE (Enderwiggin @ Apr 29 2006, 08:59 PM) The advertisement on the main page tries to load a Trojan Horse virus onto your PC... It is rather annoying, my Anti-virus blocks it, but, it is still quite annoying... Its not ALWAYS in the advertisment, but sometimes it is, others it isnt...
Can you give us your anti virus company and version as well as the NAME of the trojan that is reported.

Also since FTV has no direct control over the advertisement that are showed when you come, if you have a URL (a web address like fansub.tv) it would be really usefull. That URL may be reported by your anti virus (check if there is a more info button when the alerts pops up).

I have gotten the same thing, Im using NOD32 as my antivirus. Heres the list of files its giving me that are threats:

4zr13w01.emf a variant of Win32/Exploit.WMF trojan quarantined - deleted
E2DED507d01 a variant of Win32/Exploit.WMF trojan quarantined - deleted
http://snipernet.biz/ad/wmex.php a variant of Win32/Exploit.WMF trojan
yoq4p43s.emf a variant of Win32/Exploit.WMF trojan quarantined - deleted

I revisited the Main FanSub TV page 3 tims and recieved 6 threats. The last two were repetitions of the 2nd and 3rd.

QUOTE (psychospeedster @ Apr 30 2006, 01:09 AM) I have gotten the same thing, Im using NOD32 as my antivirus. Heres the list of files its giving me that are threats:

4zr13w01.emf a variant of Win32/Exploit.WMF trojan quarantined - deleted
E2DED507d01 a variant of Win32/Exploit.WMF trojan quarantined - deleted
http://snipernet.biz/ad/wmex.php a variant of Win32/Exploit.WMF trojan
yoq4p43s.emf a variant of Win32/Exploit.WMF trojan quarantined - deleted

I revisited the Main FanSub TV page 3 tims and recieved 6 threats. The last two were repetitions of the 2nd and 3rd.
Thanks for the detailed information. The more information, the better. I've submitted a report to Clicksor.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back