watching anime with paint

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

kimbo13

-chan
Kouhai
I was listening the ending of AMG(full screen), while playing solitaire. I got a new record so I pressed print screen to save it. I went to the paint and pressed ctrl v, and I figured out that the anime was still going and going. This was something very new to me, so i tried it again with different anime and it worked again. I¨m just wondering can u do this?

1. Star playing an anime
2. press prt sc
3 go to the paint(dont stop the anime) and press ctrl v
(sorry if this isn´t a new thing for u or sth)

That not anything new to me I found that out when I was trying to get a screen shot of anime when I didnt have like VLC I didnt know I could use my MPC before for snapshot. It like the black screen it does that cause if you got a black type wallpaper you can see some of the video if you look.

You mean that the players direct-draw is still rendering overtop of the paint window?

Or that you discovered that you can in fact do screenshots?

You smartass..... Taking Screenshots wasn´t the problem. I was just wondering, why I was able to watch anime with paint. I just thought that was very odd/cool , and for a while i thought that my pc was doing weird things. I was just waching anime with MPC and opened paint on top of it. The anime was coming through the paint window

[Moderator's Note: Please watch the foul language. It will not be tolerated]

Foul language aside (It was a communication misunderstanding, nothing to get hotheaded about)

What you are seeing is a "Direct Draw" Frame. There are two sections of a video card that place "frames" onto the screen. There is the "normal" part, which renders your low performance 3D and 2D images, without really cranking up the video hardware. What if an application has already done 99% of the rendering work, (Meaning it already has images ready, they just need to be on the screen for you to view) Well it would make no sense to force the video card to do mountains of unnecessary work, so Media Players use what is called the "DirectDraw" API which is a part of DivX.

Direct Draw interfaces with the "Hardware Overlay" part of your video card. A hardware overlay is a section of your video card that accepts "raw" video data. The video card does not have to do anything to the information, just display it.

The Video card essentially "blanks" the portion of the screen that the DDS (Direct Draw Surface) is rendering on top of, and pipes the video information straight to the screen. This is why when you take a screenshot of a DDS you get just Blackness. In this case, the blackness is a "null information" so the Direct draw renders on top of it.

This is easy to see if you drag a media player around while it is playing. On the first frame the media player moves, displacing the "blanked" DDS. On the next frame the video is displayed where the DDS used to be. The next frame it displays correctly. Sometime on really unstable systems you cannot move the DDS, you drag the Media player arund but the video stays on the same part of the screen...

Was that an adequate explanation?

THX for the "education", both of them.. I understood almost everything, no need to explain it any more.
PS: I'am sorry for my foul language. YEs it was misund. I didn¨t got angy about your question...I was hmm being me and put that kind of thing.

QUOTE (samthebear @ Jul 18 2007, 01:06 AM) oo that explains why i cant take screen shots sometimes >.> is there a way to stop this from happening?
There is a way... There are some programs that interface with DirectX and intercept the data stream. I do not know what they are, but a google search should suffice. One I do know off hand shows frame rate as well...

EDIT: Fraps is what it is called

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back